• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather Or Fabric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leather Or Fabric?

leather is a bit high maintainance IMO, i would go with fabric, the weather over here would leave the seats cold most of the time, in the summer if they were black they would be hot, so you would use air con more

Comment

whie i prefer leather, i have cloth seats in my truck, the lint roller is a must!
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Leather is much better.

Nicer Looking, More Luxurious, No Stains or Shampooing, No Static, No Smell Issues, etc.

Matt

Comment

Leather is better looking, easier to clean and gives the car a higher resale value, I find.
          "Surely you can't be serious!?"
          "I am serious....and don't call me Shirley."

Comment

but then again leather gets too hot and gets too cold, i really think fabric is better, especially when its clean!
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Leather.

Although, the only drawback with leather is the ride is just a tad rougher. I feel the bumps in the road a little more with leather, because it is a little "harder", while cloth is just a little more forgiving. At least in my opinion.

The advantage to leather is it cleans a little easier, and is easier to maintain.

Why, not even two weeks ago, I was running late for work and I opened the door and tossed a bunch of junk in the car.

I tossed my cellphone, ID badge, lunch, coffee, briefcase, a magazine, and a belt in the passenger seat.

Did you notice I mentioned I tossed my coffee in the passenger seat?!?

Yeah, I tossed the coffee mug in the car.

15 ounces of coffee on my leather passenger seat. I didn't realize I did not have my coffee at my desk for another hour, and I figured I just left it in the cupholder. When I went down to get the cup 2 hours later, there was a small pool of coffee in the crease, and a trail of coffee that ran thru the seat and backrest, to the rear floormat, to the rear door.

I mopped up what I could in the seat, wiped it down, had to wait until the evening to give it a good thorough cleaning. I figure the coffee had to of soaked thru the stiching.

I don't know whether this is a testament to Meguiars GC Leather Conditioner, or if it is a testament to the stiching in Eddie Bauer leather, or if it was helpfull that I like a lot of creamer and my coffee is more tan than black......but to test how much coffee might have been absorbed thru the leather and soaked thru the stiching, I poured about 10oz of water onto the seat and let it stand. About an hour later, hardly any of the water had soaked thru. Which told me very little of the coffee must have soaked thru.

I gave it a good cleaning, applied some more Meguiars...seats look great, there is no staining

Like I say I don't know whether that is due to the Meguiars product or the quality of the leather craftsmanship....but if that was cloth, I would have been screwed.

Comment

leather and only leather...

Comment

Leather is far superior IMO. Cloth is far less durable, far more prone to staining and absorbing smells, and harder to clean. Light colored leather can begin to look dingy over time, but much less so than cloth
                  "The shinier your car, the brighter your day"

Comment

Tough choice.I like both.Depends also on the quality of the fabric and the design on the fabric.Some cars have really silly patterns that would look fine for Krusty!

Comment

If you're hauling dogs in your truck, go with fabric. An active dog will shred the leather in no time. If your dogs are more docile than you should be OK with the leather. Leather does tend to get too hot in the summer too.

RamAirV1
                      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I couldn't answer the poll as my car, a 2009 Sonata comes with fabric seats that have leather bolsters.... Center panels are fabric but all the sides of the seat and back, including the bolsters are leather. I like them a lot but I suppose if push came to shove, I'd go strictly fabric.... it can take more abuse/neglect and is more comfortable both in the our 100+ summer temps and our -40 winters. Then again, I fondly remember the leather seats in the last Jaguar XJ6 I drove.........

Regards

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by kaptain_zero View Post
                          I couldn't answer the poll as my car, a 2009 Sonata comes with fabric seats that have leather bolsters.... Center panels are fabric but all the sides of the seat and back, including the bolsters are leather. I like them a lot but I suppose if push came to shove, I'd go strictly fabric.... it can take more abuse/neglect and is more comfortable both in the our 100+ summer temps and our -40 winters. Then again, I fondly remember the leather seats in the last Jaguar XJ6 I drove.........

Regards

Christian

That's a good point. Maybe we need a new poll,that includes choice three...Fabric and leather! Well,we all get the picture.

I didn't know the sonata had two types of material.

Comment

The issues with leather are proper maintenance with varying products. My car is 13 years old and the leather looks brand new (except for bits on the driver's seat which I'll be redying in the next week). Yes, Meguiars offers some good products, but they just hammer different oils into the leather, and let them sit, and overly shine the dye.

What works best is something that will completely clean the leather from deep within. My vote would be for Leatherique. Another more abrasive product would be Lexol. The important part is to buy all parts of the leather care system like a cleaner and conditioner.

Issues with carpet/fabric/cloth seats are staining, smells. It's like sitting on the floor of my bedroom.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');