• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I goofed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I goofed!

First a background on vehicle and paint:

It is a 2001 Camaro SS in my sig, I have owned it since new. It had pretty nasty rock chips on the hood and nose due to daily driving since new. My wife decided to have the nose and hood repainted, since I was going through a medical condition and I couldn't do it. Low and behold she had the whole car repainted from GM black to a color resembling the Chrysler metallic black, it looks nice and I love it. Although the paint shop could have done a better job spraying the paint, seems like a rush job (major masking going on, and not good either). It has OEM like orange peel, but in some places it had terrible overspray. So I decided to color sand it and make it look nice, since she sis this for me.

So I went out in search of the mythical M105 at my local parts store. They only thing I found was The Fine Cut glaze, so I decided to test out the color-sanding process.

Here are the steps I followed (hand process):
    1. Wash area to color sand with Gold Class wash, rinse with water and dry
    2. In a seperate bucket, mixed Gold Class wash with water and wiped area to work on.
    3. Soaked 2000 grit sand paper, and sanded area with light hand touch, squegee-ing surface to verify results.
    4. Once surface was "free" from orange peel, I applied the Fine Cut with a foam applicator, wiped clean with terry clotch towel.
    5. Used two coats of Gold Class polish.

Now midn you, I am not looking for show winning results here, and I don't mind some orange peel, I just want to make it not look like a crappy paint job on my SS.

Here are my results.

As you can see, after polishing, I have light scrathes. Similar to when someone sits on your car with jeans and rubbs their bottom all over it and get's fine scratches on it.

The top portion of the image, with the overhead flouresent light reflection is the as sprayed finish. My results are on the bottom side. It has a more detailed reflection now, but shows a haze on it. Maybe I need finer sanding then 2000 grit?

Here is an image of the as sprayed finish, notice the orange peel. Not bad really, I just wish all of it was like this.

Notice the improved reflection with my results

This one looks amazing, but knowing it has a haze and fine scratches makes it a bitter sweet result.

I might breakdown and order the mythical M105 and some 2500 and 3000 grit.
    George P. Lara
    Mine 2001 Camaro SS #0391: fquick.com/12secSS
    Mrs.'s 2002 Camaro SS #7072: fquick.com/Jenibella

Re: I think I goofed!

George,

I changed your links for the pics to embedded pictures due to the fact that since you are under 30 posts you can not have clickable links yet. Now I see that the pictures are much too wide, as we prefer them to be no wider than 700~ pixels.

Can you please resize your pictures and post smaller pictures in the future?

Thanks

Comment

Whoops, I will fix them shortly ...

... fixed, sorry.
      George P. Lara

Comment

I'm no where near a wetsanding pro but... I don't think you need to sand again, just try some M105 and I bet you will be impressed. Your using this with a rotary buffer?

Check out this thread. I used M105 by hand to get out these 2500 grit marks.
        Scott

Comment

I will have to order some M105 up then. I am using the Hand (not so) Pro buffer.
          George P. Lara

Comment

I bet even by hand it's going to work for you. Just that doing the entire car by hand is going to be a heck of a workout.

You can pick up a G110 with pads for about $200!
            Scott

Comment

can you use m105 with the DA?

Comment

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
                can you use m105 with the DA?
                It's not recommended by Meguiar's. However, myself and others have used it with great results. The new polish I've been testing could be a better option but I don't know when that's going to be available.
                Scott

Comment

Hey George... how's the kid growing these days?

Hows Jenne Bella doing without LACR?

Dave AKA P Machy BTW: that Chevy still slow but looks good now j/k
                  2003' Ford SVT Cobra
                  2007' Honda S2000

My Cobra: http://0-1320feet.com/other_mycar.html

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                    It's not recommended by Meguiar's. However, myself and others have used it with great results. The new polish I've been testing could be a better option but I don't know when that's going to be available.
                    does the new polish have the same cut as M105?

Comment

Originally posted by Dier View Post
                      Hey George... how's the kid growing these days?

Hows Jenne Bella doing without LACR?

Dave AKA P Machy BTW: that Chevy still slow but looks good now j/k

Dave! How have you been? Jen misses you. The little guy is growing up fast, he is walking and almost talking. He is kind of slow like his dad. We haven't raced much, but I hope next season we can. email us!

Back on topic!
                      George P. Lara

Comment

Originally posted by 12secSS View Post
                        Dave! How have you been? Jen misses you. The little guy is growing up fast, he is walking and almost talking. He is kind of slow like his dad. We haven't raced much, but I hope next season we can. email us!

Back on topic!
                        I removed the email addresses that you had posted. If you would like to give Dave your email address please send him a PM.

Thanks

Andy M.
                        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Just to note, it's always going to be faster and easier to remove your sanding marks if you finish with a higher grit paper, like #2000, #2500, #3000

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

So is it good to guess that 2000 grit is a coarse paper, when discussing finishes?

Would you suggest I try and use 3000 grit paper, or just fore go it and use M105? Only because I am not sure how deep this finish is.
                            George P. Lara

Comment

just go w/ the m105 and the fine cut cleaner is not strong enough to remove sand marks.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');