• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accidentally used polishing compound on a clear coat finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally used polishing compound on a clear coat finish

I picked up my new car 2 weeks ago and the inevitable bird left a dropping on the hood. After I removed it I noticed it made an etching on the hood but I had also created some light swirl marks.. must've been the cloth I used to remove the bird dropping.)

Then I made the made the mistake of using a polishing compound, thinking it would remove the swirl marks.. but only to make it worse. For now, I put some wax back on though.

So I ask, what can be done? Is it fixable, or will I only be able to cover it up with a filler? Will I have to wetsand?

I'll try and take some pictures later.

Re: Accidentally used polishing compound on a clear coat finish

Pictures would help a lot, as well as more info on what products you used and what type of towel?

Also, what type and color vehicle?

Don't fret, this is likely an easy fix with the right Meguiar's product or two.

Comment

Compund will tend to leave marks when applied via a Microfibre towel, but not so with the smooth surface of an applicator pad, . Do you have a machine polisher such as (DA) PC7424 or G110 or a Rotary?, if working by hand then with out pictures or car infomation, i would suggest Scratch X with a foam Applicator

Comment

What are you working on?

No wetsanding is needed, chances are that with a milder product you can remove them
        What other products you have?

Comment

M105 Ultra Cut Compound by Meguiar's will fix this if the etching and scratches are not too deep.

From How To Articles

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');