• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 SS White Jeep Wrangler FULL Detail 30 Hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 SS White Jeep Wrangler FULL Detail 30 Hours

Little background information on this detail: the Jeep is a 1997 Wrangler Sahara edition, fitted with some type of 3-link suspension which I was told something to do with the Rubicon edition...but I'm not sure what, because this thing is a LOT bigger than a Rubicon is. It sits on 35x12.50 tires, and even has a full size spare.

The paint is single stage, and white. It was sort of a cream white when I began, but became a very clean, snow-white when I finished.

The Jeep was used as a "job site vehicle" and a fun toy for an owner of a fairly large earth moving company. This Jeep is used as "Jeep" intended it be used.

That said, it was scratched and swirled quite badly. It has never had paint correction work done, but was overall in decent condition considering the age and use.

Here are some "before" pictures to outline the paint condition prior to polishing. In the first picture you can get an idea how "dirty" the paint was even after a wash.

Now of course what Jeep is complete with plenty of mud inside every single nook and cranny, and all over the underside? Right?

Well here is the proof of the status of this Jeep:

Ok, enough of the before shots. I bet you're all wondering what she looked like AFTER, right?

Well, before we do full afters...how about some 50/50 shots? These are my favorites personally. No hiding here, and you know there is no play of the camera...it is what it is.

Some dramatic ones with the tape gone:

Some straight on shots that show extreme details INSIDE the light...and it looks like bad orange peel, but that is the texture of the reflective backing in the light coming through nice and clearly...

Here are some after shots of the "muddy" engine bay:

I also was tasked with dealing with two quarter sized dents with missing paint from where the hood flew open and slammed into the roof above the windshield. I actually went as far as working out the dents from the underside of the hood with a hard bottle of wax by rolling it over it with a lot of force. I would say they were 80% better by the time I finished. Sadly, like a fool I forgot to get before pictures AND the guy sold the Jeep 4 days after I finished detailing it (2 days after listing it) and I can't get more pictures.

Here are some neat little TIPS for you guys that might be doing touch-ups during a full correction job. Since I had to keep polishing between 5 coats of touch-up, and wet sanding I needed a way to keep the polish and dust from getting into the wet paint. I ended up taking the lids off of some small spray cans and using a little tape to make a flap. This allowed me to flip the lid out of the way to add the next coat, and then flip it back down to cover it while it dried. I thought they were neat, and they worked flawlessly.

The process used on the paint touch-up was to use a small artist's brush, allow the layer to fully cure, and then I would use Meguiar's Unigrit 3,000 sandpaper and level it out. Then I would put another layer. I repeated this 6-7 times. As you can see in the first pic of the "dongle" it came out pretty good, sorry for the white-washed look....I forgot the flash on.

Now, some of you I am sure are going to ask me what process I used to polish the paint to achieve these results. I thought I would mix things up a little bit here and give a few hints, and see what you guys think I used.

Hint #1 Nothing but Meguiar's products (if they made one for the task) touched the car.
    Hint #2 I used a Makita 9227c around 1,000 RPMS for the nearly ALL of the correction work.
    Hint #3 It defies old school logic.
    Hint #4 Over the 3.5 days I worked on the Jeep I checked my work in the sun several times, and at no point could I find any holograms or swirls caused from my products. (This is the tricky hint, but the key hint)

So what products do you think I used? How many steps?

...and here is the final big package (2 of which are finally all in one frame). Enjoy!

(Blindingly white...lol)

Some interesting trivia from this experience: the Jeep KBB's at 10k~, and the owner claims close to $10,000 in modifications. As most people know it is rare to get ANY extra money for mods, and sometimes you get even less (people often prefer stock). That said, the owner was able to sell this Jeep in this current gas crunch slow market for $17,000 in 2 days. Think a quality detail with quality products played a role in that? You be the judge

Re: 1997 SS White Jeep Wrangler FULL Detail 30 Hours

I might get a few more pics, but I think that about covers it.

Comment

Wow, it looks fantastic. Great work!
      We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

WOW!! I am speechless. What an improvement. I really like the 50/50 shots. Great job!!
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

Thats awesome! Deep wet reflection.
          Learning new things everyday

Comment

Very nice work - Like you had mentioned the 50/50 shots are impressive!
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Awesome work!! That looks much better!

Hmmm...did you use M105?
              Lydia's Mobile Detailing
              Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
              2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

The new Ultimate Compound? Maybe?
                1998 Supermarine Blue Pearl Honda CR-V

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
                  Awesome work!! That looks much better!

Hmmm...did you use M105?

Here is the kicker... I started, and finished with M105 on a foam pad. (Used Meg's yellow for large areas, 4 inch orange light polishing for small areas).

I checked it with Iso wipes and even gave it a half day in the son before waxing. Absolutely, positively zero holograms or swirls left.

I think it has to do with the fact that it was single stage paint, as I have found both M105 and M86 (new micro abrasives) finish and cut remarkably well on single stage paints.

Comment

Mark, very impressive work. The Jeep looks awesome. I agree the 50/50 shots are very impressive. Great work. way to go.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                      Mark, very impressive work. The Jeep looks awesome. I agree the 50/50 shots are very impressive. Great work. way to go.
                      Thanks! It was a lot of work, but very rewarding in the end of course.

Comment

that looks great, wranglers that I've seen have a good resale value, because they arent very expensive, but seem to hold that value. and you can beat the **** out of them time and time again, and they keep on runnin'
                        2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mustang View Post
                          that looks great, wranglers that I've seen have a good resale value, because they arent very expensive, but seem to hold that value. and you can beat the **** out of them time and time again, and they keep on runnin'
                          That was the whole idea of the Jeep from the very beginning....a little off road people carrier that will go anywhere anytime quickly and trouble free.... good to see that they have kept its core capabilities after all these years of being a civilian vehicle

Comment

Fantastic result!! Your detailing skills are incredible. I'm not surprised the owner managed to get a very decent price ... with looks like that.

Comment

Well done, indeed, Sir!
                              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                              --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');