• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newspaper to clean windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newspaper to clean windows

Here's something I added to page 4 of a similar thread...

For what it's worth...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moparman426
    nice another good way to get crystal clear windows is to use newspaper on them the ink and texture of the paper make a skreak free shine every time

Just to note, Meguiar's doesn't endorse or recommend using newspaper for cleaning glass when there are better options available.

The newspaper recommendation is a method used and talked about but that doesn't make it a great way or even a good way to clean windows.

Newspapers are at their core paper paper that tends to be clean and dry and for the most part abundant and free if you know where to look and cheap to buy if you look at them as wiping cloths instead of information compared to paper towels.

It's completely possible that the entire "use newspaper to clean glass" recommendation came about because as an abundant, cheap/free source of clean, (not including the ink), dry paper towels of sorts, it could just be this is the accurate history behind why people use newspapers to clean and dry glass. Because newspaper is free and abundant, not because they're actually good at cleaning glass as compared to glass cleaning towels.

Does using newspapers to dry glass work? Yes. Is newspaper the best option for a wiping cloth? No. There are better wiping cloth options on the market even clean cotton towels work.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have tried newspaper here and there and really never liked it.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Here's something I added to page 4 of a similar thread...

For what it's worth...

Quote:
        Originally Posted by moparman426
        nice another good way to get crystal clear windows is to use newspaper on them the ink and texture of the paper make a skreak free shine every time

Just to note, Meguiar's doesn't endorse or recommend using newspaper for cleaning glass when there are better options available.

The newspaper recommendation is a method used and talked about but that doesn't make it a great way or even a good way to clean windows.

Newspapers are at their core paper paper that tends to be clean and dry and for the most part abundant and free if you know where to look and cheap to buy if you look at them as wiping cloths instead of information compared to paper towels.

It's completely possible that the entire "use newspaper to clean glass" recommendation came about because as an abundant, cheap/free source of clean, (not including the ink), dry paper towels of sorts, it could just be this is the accurate history behind why people use newspapers to clean and dry glass. Because newspaper is free and abundant, not because they're actually good at cleaning glass as compared to glass cleaning towels.

Does using newspapers to dry glass work? Yes. Is newspaper the best option for a wiping cloth? No. There are better wiping cloth options on the market even clean cotton towels work.

Just to add, years ago, the newspaper was used for/after cleaning the windows as the type of ink used in the newspaper would add a gloss to the glass. This was an old car show trick to make the glass really sparkle. However, today's newspapers do not contain the same types of ink and therefore have lost the reason for using them on the glass as the newer inks do nothing for the glass. So I am with Mike: I would not use newspaper when better alternatives are around.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I never was satisfied with a MF on my windows. Lint and/or streaks, even those sold "specially for glass". Used newspapers for years, but now I tried a towel called "The Thief", and it sure seems very good.

Comment

I use paper towels,but have heard chalk board erasers work well removing streaks afterward.
            I'm waiting to try it.

Comment

I also use the glass towels. They work really well.

Comment

I use some terry towels and a good glass cleaner. I like the SoftBuff and NXT together. One trick I learned is you can polish glass with a chrome polish. Use the same instructions as it says for chrome. Just don't use it on tinted glass unless the tint is inside the window.
                2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Originally posted by barry View Post
                  try washing microfiber towels if their new,that cured my lint problem.that seems to remove the excess lint
                  I have found, at least in my experience that if the towels are put in the dryer with the heat on, it will make the fibers brittle and they start to break off, leaving the tiny fibers behind. I have be very careful about drying my towels now and have not seen any fibers being left behind after at least 10-12 washes.

I like the towels Rick at ADS sells, I also think Huck Sergical towels work very well. Never tried newspaper though...

Rasky
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Agree there are better choices, but newspaper worked, at least according to legend, because the ink, at least the old style ink, contained an abrasive.

Comment

Originally posted by livingwater View Post
                      I found newspaper to work the best for cleaning my auto glass. The microfiber clothes were leaving lint.

What do you use?
                      When you wash your M/F add 3/4 cup white vinegar to wash cycle it will cut down on the lint, I don't know why but it works.A tip from a towl mfg I got a long time ago.

Comment

I used to use new paper as well but i ended up using a new sheet after every window. Now I just spray a microfiber with some class cleaner, wipe down the window and take another mf and go over it to remove any smudges or whatever that would be left over.

Comment

i took that from other forum thread

FOLK LORE

Some people think they have magic formulas for window cleaning such as special cleaners or towels. Others subscribe to the theory that you do not need a window cleaning “towel” at all. These folks used to use newspaper to clean windows with very good results. Newspaper is very absorbent and lint free, and is virtually cost-free and plentiful. When a piece gets too saturated, simply grab a new sheet. It seemed to work well. There is a logical reason for this. The newsprint — the ink used on the newspaper — used to be kerosene based. Kerosene is a terrific cleaner. It also does not evaporate very easily, and people used to simply spray some water on a glass surface, wipe it clean with newspaper, and produce streak-free windows. However, the ink in newspaper is no longer kerosene based, so newspaper simply is not as effective as it used to be. Although it is very absorbent, it’s very difficult to hold and get flat surfaces to wipe across the glass. You generally need to “scrunch” the newspaper up in your hand, which makes it very easy to miss certain spots, like corners. These missed spots can be streaks, or dirt and haze that never gets fully cleaned off the surface. Newspaper is not a good choice for a window cleaning “towel.”

Comment

One reason and an obvious one, that cleaning interior windows is difficult is not how the cleaning chemistry is applied. The problem is that there is no effective way to rinse off the dirt and residue. Probably why the residue trapping MF towels work so well.

Comment

Wow, I did not know that Blas! Thanks for the info.

Comment

i use the Vroom Microfibers from target, they seem to work well with glass and i wouldnt be comfortable using Supreme Shine microfibers for that purpose
                                Nick
                                Tucker's Detailing Services
                                815-954-0773
                                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');