• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newspaper to clean windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newspaper to clean windows

Have to agree fully with Tim.

Been using newspaper for waaaay to many years, just make sure you use a clean (insert favorite toweling here) for a final wipe.

My 2 cents.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by livingwater View Post
      Do they scratch and/or leave lint?
      I had this problem with the microfibres that I was using. they were the ones made for polishing. So I brought a Microfibre that is designed for glass and it works very well I use for wiping the glass with the glass cleaner and the other for buffing off.

Comment

Yea, the oils the are on the towels when they are new can cause streaking film. I also found that cleaning glass is somewhat of an art. The mix of your glass solution can play a factor too!! add more water to dilute whatever it is your using.

Comment

The best cleaner I have found is using a wash mitt and Optimum No-rinse (ONR). Wipe the wndows and dry with a water magnet.
          Art Layton
          2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

I've been using the newspapers on my cars, windows and mirrors for years- since the 80s. Back then the had ink stained your hands, but now (at least most) don't use that any more. Just be sure to avoid the shiny papers with the department tore ads on it. You will save a fortune on microfibre towels by using the newspapers.
            Drive resposibly.
            Rock music.

Comment

Microfiber towels from Target.
              Ryan Rehart
              Executive Mobile Detail
              Serving The High Desert, Socal
              714-887-6692

Comment

Hi,

Huck towels are by far the best thing to use on windows. They're made for hospitals to use during surgeries, so you know they don't leave any lint behind.

No matter what kind of towels you use, NEVER wash your window towels in any kind of soap at all. It's the soap residue that leaves the streaks and/or makes it hard to get the windows spotless. To wash your window towels always use just plain hot water and every second time you wash them add 2 cups of white vinegar to the water. The vinegar will break down proteins that get on the towels and make them come out looking and working like new again.

You can buy Huck towels for about 50 cents or a dollar each online, depending on where you buy them. Just go to google and search for Huck Towels and you'll easily find them. Shop around because I get mine for $6 a dozen for the 18 inch square ones. Some places (like amazon) will try to charge you as much as $10 for just 2 towels. Trust me, dig a little deeper and you'll find them for $6 a dozen, especially if you buy 10 dozen at a time like I do.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyBoone View Post
                  Hi,

Huck towels are by far the best thing to use on windows. They're made for hospitals to use during surgeries, so you know they don't leave any lint behind.

No matter what kind of towels you use, NEVER wash your window towels in any kind of soap at all. It's the soap residue that leaves the streaks and/or makes it hard to get the windows spotless. To wash your window towels always use just plain hot water and every second time you wash them add 2 cups of white vinegar to the water. The vinegar will break down proteins that get on the towels and make them come out looking and working like new again.

You can buy Huck towels for about 50 cents or a dollar each online, depending on where you buy them. Just go to google and search for Huck Towels and you'll easily find them. Shop around because I get mine for $6 a dozen for the 18 inch square ones. Some places (like amazon) will try to charge you as much as $10 for just 2 towels. Trust me, dig a little deeper and you'll find them for $6 a dozen, especially if you buy 10 dozen at a time like I do.
                  Is that those thin blue towels I see in medical facilities? If so, then I have one here, and I will put it to the test on some glass.
                  r. b.

Comment

Newspaper always leaves little white crumbs behind for me. I've recently never had a problem with microfiber towels. Any kind, cheap Walmart microfiber. I just spray very little (1/2 squirt) of cheap blue glass cleaner directly on the towel and wipe quickly letting the friction help evaporate the product. Streak free, no lint, just clean. For an"enhanced"crystal clear look I just apply some wax by hand and remove. Perfect windows every time.

Comment

I've read somewhere that the whole reason behind the news paper for cleaning glass was so good was because of the type of ink the they use to use had something in it that actually made the glass sparkle a trick the older cruize/show guys did but they did away with the ink for something else and now it's just stuck around and being handed down from generation to generation! I myself use meguiars D120 glass cleaner and a micro-fiber glass towel with great results and no streaks. Also this stuff smells fantastic and is great for removing water spots from chrome, aluminum rims or just a quick wipe down on your rims after polishing and counter tops in your home just a good all around cleaner!
                      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Originally posted by stang_krazy View Post
                        I've read somewhere that the whole reason behind the news paper for cleaning glass was so good was because of the type of ink the they use to use had something in it that actually made the glass sparkle a trick the older cruize/show guys did but they did away with the ink for something else and now it's just stuck around and being handed down from generation to generation! I myself use meguiars D120 glass cleaner and a micro-fiber glass towel with great results and no streaks. Also this stuff smells fantastic and is great for removing water spots from chrome, aluminum rims or just a quick wipe down on your rims after polishing and counter tops in your home just a good all around cleaner!
                        The ink formula used by news printers has changed just in the last 10-15 years. The formula prior to that had an abrasive quality which was the component that cleaned the windows so well. The D120 glass cleaner is my fav also.

Comment

Personally for me, I use Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner with a Meguiars Water Magnet Cloth. It is easy to use and it spread the product evenly, flip the towel to the dryer portion for a final wipe. It produces clear and streak free result without lint...juts sharing..

Comment

you can't use newpaper with color ink..the best is plain newpaper(black and white(gray)..

Comment

I had forgotten all about using NP to clean windows. When growing up... or getting older, washing the car was a family operation. Cleaning the windows was always done with NP. I will have to give it a go now and see how I like or dislike the job it does. Either way, thanks for the memory jog!

Comment

Hi,
                                I also use newspaper to clean window glasses, but when it has more dust or tough stains I use microfiber or sometimes a mixture of detergent or warm water then window cleaner squeegee. It provides good results.
                                Black & Decker vh780 vacuum cleaner Best Online Deals

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');