• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am doing some research on a 74 nova for a friend,need some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am doing some research on a 74 nova for a friend,need some info

Well my friend has a modified 240SX drift car with alright paint and he posted it on craigslist and he got a reply asking him if he would trade for a 74 Nova. It has a 350, edelbrock intake and 4 barrel carb, Muncie 4 speed on the floor tranny after market, Are these tranny's any good never heard of them, hurst short throw shifter. it has a new clutch and new fly wheel, press plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing. it has a 2 in cowl induction hood. It has very nice paint Yellow with black stripes. Miminal rust which miminal can me just about anything depending on the person. The thing is that it is the not the original motor and trans and I have heard that chevy's have to have numbers matching to have any great value. If they don't it will hurt the value. That is what i have heard at a couple of classic car auctions. Body is straight, no bondo. the motor looks like the smog equipment has been taken off. How important is it to have the original motor and trans for chevy's. My friend would be drving it everyday and are they reliable at this age? I know the 350 is one of the best motors ever built and are bullet proof. I am not a Chevy expert so any advice will be great.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by 03mach1; Nov 1, 2008, 08:27 PM.
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Re: I am doing some research on a 74 nova for a friend,need some info

74 is the dark ages for the big three when the smog laws came out (Starting earlier than 74) Hence the 1970 Chevelle SS 454 (LS6 baby) and convertible are sought after machines. My Brother in law has an original (needing work bad) SS 396. I prefer to get a Yenko Super Camaro, all aluminum 427

The 350 indeed is a great motor and cheap to build with other small block components that will bolt on.

The Muncie 4 speed is a great 4 speed. It would be cool to find out which 4 speed it is. If it's the close ratio M21 Muncie, it's pretty popular tranny. The M22 Rock Crusher tranny was put in big block or higher performance cars (typically depends on engine and rear axle ratio). The Hurst shifter is a nice unit that is bolted on to these trannys. Oldsmobile made a Hurst Old's that is sought after (almost had my hands on one too!). The tranny may be original (unless you guys were told it was not original) and depending on original size of motor and rear axle ratio will depend on which tranny GM put in her.

I'm an old chevy dude, so, I would trade in a heart beat, the Nova's are not bad looking cars.

As far as original.....If it were a numbers matching Super Sport, it's probably not going to bring huge value if it were not original. Not sure though. If it were an SS and numbers matching then that would be cool. Although not positive if they made the Nova's of that year an SS or not. More than likely, though I think the biggest motor that came in the Nova was the 350, 307 and a 6 cylinder (250 or 230, can't remember). With some research you could find a Nova site that will tell you what the VIN says it is (engine, SS options or not).

Build an LS6 454 and put it in that bad boy
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks Nappers. I am trying to show my friend by doing the trade will be better then selling his 240sx, because people will low ball all day on a 240 so I think trading will be the smart way of getting out of owning a old japanese car that will probably only go down in value. I am not sure if it had a six cylinder, most likly it had a six cylinder because majority made fom GM were six cylinders. Thanks on this info, It looks like it was a drag car because of its mods, it has no air conditioning, when it has A/C controld on the dash so it was a A/C equiped car. LS6 454 now that will be cool. My friend is into drifting so we'll see what is going to happen. I am trying to get him to tade for it.

Thanks again.
      Alex
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

have fun, if it was an original 6 cylinder, try not to beat up the tranny or rear axle, see if they were upgraded too or what type (12 bolt rear etc).

Have fun

Edit: here's a link to Wikipedia on Nova's Chevrolet Nova
        Last edited by Nappers; Nov 2, 2008, 11:48 AM.
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks Nappers.
          Alex
          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');