• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Compound

Originally posted by LarryT63 View Post

I just bought one bottle of Ultimate Compound at Walmart's.

I have the "thrashed" 2005 NBP Honda Element you helped me work on late last year. I'm wondering the steps I should take to start on it.
    Here you go...

Wash and dry
    Pretty much self explanatory.

Feel the paint to see if it needs to be clayed.
    If it does then clay it. Compounding will remove above surface bonded contaminants too but claying is the most effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants key word being effective. Plus you really only need to do the horizontal surfaces in most a cases so it doesn't take very long.

Compound the paint - Start by doing a Test Spot
    Rub the paint out working a section about a foot squared. Work the section thoroughly and evenly for about a minute.

Wipe off the residue and inspect your results. If the paint looks good, this means if the swirls and scratches are removed to your expectations then simply repeat this over the entire car working one small section at a time and overlapping into the previous section each time you move on to new territory for Uniform Material Removal, (UMR) for a uniform appearance.

If the section doesn't look good the apply a second application and again, work the product for about a minute thoroughly and evenly over the paint.

If Ultimate Compound is removing the swirls and scratches to your expectations but leaving the paint with any kind of haze or dullness then this means you'll need to do second rub-out using a less aggressive product like SwirlX.

Some paints are more polishable than others but you really won't know till you do a test spot and inspect the results.

Polishing with a pure polish - Optional Step
    After you rub the paint out and get it to where you like it you can polish with a pure polish as an optional step and then go to wax or you can go straight to wax.

Protect the paint
    Apply a thin coat of your favorite wax or paint sealant, allow it to dry till it swipes clear and the remove the dried excess using a clean, plush premium quality microfiber polishing cloth.

Enjoy!
    Afterwards, stand back and admire the results.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike,

Quick question.

In general what has been your experience with Honda paint, I've heard from several body shops that it's not the "best" when compared to say a foreign car's paint job.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryT63 View Post
        Thanks Mike,

Quick question.

In general what has been your experience with Honda paint, I've heard from several body shops that it's not the "best" when compared to say a foreign car's paint job.
        Never had a problem with our Honda nor any of the Honda's that have come to Meguiar's Garage since 2002

Just follow the basics,

Evaluate the condition of the paint
        Choose the right products to reach your goals
        Use good technique

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike in your opinion will this product be the best for etched in acid rain spots, or should I try the ScratchX 2.0? I read in other forums on this site that you believed ScratchX 2.0 would do the trick. But you have also stated that the Ultimate Compound is more aggresive. And I think I need to pull out the big guns for these spots. I have washed, waxed, and clay barred the car to death. I even tested a little rubbing compound. Lol. Nothing has worked!

Comment

Originally posted by Envious View Post
            Mike in your opinion will this product be the best for etched in acid rain spots, or should I try the ScratchX 2.0? I read in other forums on this site that you believed ScratchX 2.0 would do the trick. But you have also stated that the Ultimate Compound is more aggresive. And I think I need to pull out the big guns for these spots. I have washed, waxed, and clay barred the car to death. I even tested a little rubbing compound. Lol. Nothing has worked!
            Obviously go with what Mike said. I have some spots that I'm guessing could be acid rain as well and have had a post about them.

For me, the only thing that began to touch them was M105 the very aggressive product, combined with my G110.

So if the Ultimate Compuond still isn't enough, you might try M105 someday too.

I think normally something like UC should work, but again Mike will know more.

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post
              Obviously go with what Mike said. I have some spots that I'm guessing could be acid rain as well and have had a post about them.

For me, the only thing that began to touch them was M105 the very aggressive product, combined with my G110.

So if the Ultimate Compuond still isn't enough, you might try M105 someday too.

I think normally something like UC should work, but again Mike will know more.
              I may just try M105 to begin with. I am tired of spending money on products that don't work. I want to try something aggressive that has a better chance of actually working.

Comment

Anybody noticed on the back label, "compound" isnt capitalized under the Pro-Tip section.

Comment

Mike in your opinion will this product be the best for etched in acid rain spots, or should I try the ScratchX 2.0?
                  Ultimate Compound is our most aggressive product in our Consumer Line and based upon first hand experience it will either remove the defects or they can't be removed by anything.

You have to be careful because you only have so much paint thickness or film-build to work with and this new product is aggressive enough that you could remove too much paint and expose the color coat under the clear coat.

I read in other forums on this site that you believed ScratchX 2.0 would do the trick. But you have also stated that the Ultimate Compound is more aggressive.
                  What you've read on other forums is probably old.
                  • ScratchX has been around since the early 1990's.
                  • I've been posting to vBulletin style forums since 2002 and the Usenet Newsgroups since 1994

Now follow me on this...
                  • Ultimate Compound just came onto the market this year, that is 2009

It would be very easy to find plenty of posts where ScratchX is being recommended because it was the only hand-applied swirl and scratch remover that didn't also instill scratches on the market until we introduced our new SMAT - Super Micro Abrasive Technology into our Consumer Line at the end of 2008 at SEMA and now, here we are in February, only 2 months into the new year, and our new products are now starting to find their way onto store shelves and thus into the garages of enthusiasts and then into reviews and comments posted on discussion forums.

By all means, get some Ultimate Compound. It is the best hand applied swirl and scratch remover on the market today and since the abrasive technology is exclusive to Meguiar's chances are good it's going to take a while for someone to copy us and/or discover something that works better.

If you're a car enthusiasts or a detailer at any level, the Ultimate Compound is a product you should have in your arsenal to products. Period.

I wouldn't leave home without it. By that I mean, anytime I do mobil detail work I often times must drive to the customer and in SoCal that's no small thing with traffic and congestion, and the fact that I live out in the desert miles away from where all the work is usually done.

I would not pack up my gear and drive a couple of hours one way to work on a car without a number of products and tools in the back of my truck and Ultimate Compound is one of those must-have products.

Apply with a clean, foam applicator pad and do a test spot before going over the entire car. Ultimate Compound works. The biggest variable is a lot of people don't know the right technique for working ANY paint cleaner against a scratch-sensitive clear coat paint not to mention skill level and experience.

The good news however is after doing a test spot if you're not seeing the results you want you can always come back to the forum and we'll help you to tweak your technique.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    Ultimate Compound is our most aggressive product in our Consumer Line and based upon first hand experience it will either remove the defects or they can't be removed by anything.

You have to be careful because you only have so much paint thickness or film-build to work with and this new product is aggressive enough that you could remove too much paint and expose the color coat under the clear coat.

What you've read on other forums is probably old.
                    • ScratchX has been around since the early 1990's.
                    • I've been posting to vBulletin style forums since 2002 and the Usenet Newsgroups since 1994
                    Now follow me on this...
                    • Ultimate Compound just came onto the market this year, that is 2009
                    It would be very easy to find plenty of posts where ScratchX is being recommended because it was the only hand-applied swirl and scratch remover that didn't also instill scratches on the market until we introduced our new SMAT - Super Micro Abrasive Technology into our Consumer Line at the end of 2008 at SEMA and now, here we are in February, only 2 months into the new year, and our new products are now starting to find their way onto store shelves and thus into the garages of enthusiasts and then into reviews and comments posted on discussion forums.

By all means, get some Ultimate Compound. It is the best hand applied swirl and scratch remover on the market today and since the abrasive technology is exclusive to Meguiar's chances are good it's going to take a while for someone to copy us and/or discover something that works better.

If you're a car enthusiasts or a detailer at any level, the Ultimate Compound is a product you should have in your arsenal to products. Period.

I wouldn't leave home without it. By that I mean, anytime I do mobil detail work I often times must drive to the customer and in SoCal that's no small thing with traffic and congestion, and the fact that I live out in the desert miles away from where all the work is usually done.

I would not pack up my gear and drive a couple of hours one way to work on a car without a number of products and tools in the back of my truck and Ultimate Compound is one of those must-have products.

Apply with a clean, foam applicator pad and do a test spot before going over the entire car. Ultimate Compound works. The biggest variable is a lot of people don't know the right technique for working ANY paint cleaner against a scratch-sensitive clear coat paint not to mention skill level and experience.

The good news however is after doing a test spot if you're not seeing the results you want you can always come back to the forum and we'll help you to tweak your technique.

This is true (your last statement). I really appreciate the advice, and I will pick up some Ultimate Compound asap and apply it the next nice day we have. I really hope this does the trick, as I am growing increasingly tired of trying different products, and even more tired of having to ride around with these horrible waterspots!

Comment

This is true (your last statement). I really appreciate the advice, and I will pick up some Ultimate Compound asap and apply it the next nice day we have. I really hope this does the trick, as I am growing increasingly tired of trying different products, and even more tired of having to ride around with these horrible waterspots!
                      I have some issues that I thought *might* be waterspots, and today I tried for the last time to remove them. Mine are really hard to see, so I don't really know what they are, but I know your pain!!! It really ***** to love your car and have these defects.

I hope UC will work for you.

Comment

Just used some tonight at the open garage. Stuff is pretty amazing. So I bought some on my way home
                        Newb!

Comment

Can I use this stuff with a high speed polisher.

Comment

Originally posted by PERFECTION View Post
                            Can I use this stuff with a high speed polisher.
                            A rotary? No.

A dual action buffer? Yes. (PC 7424, G110, UDM all work)

Comment

One quick question regarding this product...the sample I have is very runny (liquid) ...is not separated or anything but it's consistency is not as thick as other compounds. Any thoughts?

Alex
                              Mandarina Racing

Comment

Originally posted by MandarinaRacing View Post
                                One quick question regarding this product...the sample I have is very runny (liquid) ...is not separated or anything but it's consistency is not as thick as other compounds. Any thoughts?

Alex
                                Mine has the consistency of like a salad dressing or lotion. It is supposed to be like that, its not thick like SwirlX
                                Nick
                                Tucker's Detailing Services
                                815-954-0773
                                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');