• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SwirlX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SwirlX

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    He needs someone to show him this forum here in the Cyber-World so he can learn about new products as well as a host of other things before the it makes its way out into the Real-World.

Hmmm.... who could show him the forum.... hmmm....
    Hey! I know...
    I'm actually holding off until I can find a bottle. I have looked in probably 10 auto-care stores like Pep Boys and Autozone, but no luck. wanted to order online, but the cost of shipping a single bottle from Amazon or Ace Hardware pushes the price up to $15-$20. Mike, do you have information listed here as to who would be carrying SwirlX in San Diego?

Comment

Will SwirlX and ScratchX 2.0 finish out the same if all other variables (pad, temp, applications, etc) are the same?

Will SwirlX and scratchx 2.0 EVENTUALLY (much more applications) produce the same results as Ultimate Compound?

Comment

Originally posted by dragonballz View Post
        Will SwirlX and ScratchX 2.0 finish out the same if all other variables (pad, temp, applications, etc) are the same?
        All things being equal then yes. One variable you can't control is the paint. Different paint systems buff differently, you never really know how well or not well a paint buffs till you do some experimenting.

Originally posted by dragonballz View Post
        Will SwirlX and ScratchX 2.0 EVENTUALLY (much more applications) produce the same results as Ultimate Compound?
        Theoretically yes.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Today I finally wanted to use my G110 on my old mid-90s Japanese Sedan. Some may know of my struggles on these forums to use the G110 on my Mercedes-Benz cars as it seems very hard to remove any defects in their paint.

Anyway, so today first I was going to use M83, but it was really hard to remove.

I switched to my sealed bottle of Swirl X! Wow. While more serious defects were not touched, it did remove some cobwebs/swirls on this champagne color car. I could watch it do this before my eyes. What a feeling compared to on the Mercedes, which almost never change except finally when I used some 105.

Swirl X wipes off so nicely as well. What a great product huH? These new generation products are surely a lot easier to use.

My only problem was is Swirl X suppose to be so thick like that? It wouldn't want to come out of the bottle, and then would come out in big glumps and spray me. ha-ha. Much thicker seemingly than UC.

Well, it may not have made my paint perfect, but I give Swirl X two thumbs up on a paint that isn't too hard with the G110 & polishing pad. The ease of use and wiping it off, really makes it a fine product.

Comment

I am really anxious to give this product a try. The new Super Micro Abrasive technology is pretty impressive in terms of correction ability
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post
              Well, it may not have made my paint perfect, but I give Swirl X two thumbs up on a paint that isn't too hard with the G110 & polishing pad.
              Can you elaborate a little on this?

Thanks,
              Mike
              Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                Can you elaborate a little on this?

Thanks,
                Mike
                I'm sure I could have removed some more of the light defects with Ultimate Compound, or M105.

However, I wanted to see what Swirl X could do.

Swirl X didn't do anything to the paint but help it though. It's fantastic. Works so easily, wipes off so easily, really a great product.

Only problem I had again was trying to get it out of the bottle. The stuff is thick.

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post
                  I'm sure I could have removed some more of the light defects with Ultimate Compound, or M105.

However, I wanted to see what Swirl X could do.

Swirl X didn't do anything to the paint but help it though. It's fantastic. Works so easily, wipes off so easily, really a great product.

Only problem I had again was trying to get it out of the bottle. The stuff is thick.
                  I gotcha now. I experienced the same thing when I SwirlX'd my Camry. I had to use UC in some areas and then go back over them with SwirlX for to remove some light hazing. SwirlX left the finish really glossy.

For me and my low skill level with the G110, I was able to get a much better finish with SwirlX than I was with 80. With 80 I couldn't get seem to get rid of the micro marring.

Mike
                  Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Thats great Mike. I think these new next generation products are a lot easier to use for us less experienced users than 80/83. We're lucky to have this new technology available to us. Makes our life easier.

Interestingly, I can go from M105 or UC right to wax on two of my cars, as my paint isn't marred by it. Good to know, if my other car does get marred by UC ever, Swirl X will be the answer to finish it back out nicely.

Thanks!

Comment

Just picked up my first bottle of swirlx. For those of you who applied it with the g110, did you start off at lower speed(2-4) to spread out the product, then increase to 5 or 6 to correct, then gradually decrease to "jewel"? Im thinking since the new line doesn't use diminishing abrasives, the jeweling process will have little to no effect as there are no abrasives that need to break down. Wondering whats the recommended method using the g110... Also i plan on using a white lake country ccs pad or the megs yellow pad. Thanks

Comment

Is SwirlX "body shop safe"?

What I mean is, if I use SwirlX on my hood, and want to fix some paint chips, can I just clean the gunk out of the chipped area, or do I need to clean it with one of the "fresh paint environment" products before painting? The M8x series is not supposed to interfere with paint bonding, and I want to verify that SwirlX is similar.

I've used M83/M80 before, and I was planning to purchase some more M80, but decided to try SwirlX on a used truck I recently acquired. Bottom line, I don't plan on purchasing more M8x. SwirlX was much easier to use and remove, worked faster, and left a better finish that I was able to achieve with the M8x and the G100. The truck isn't perfect, but it is much better.

Now if Meguiar's can develop a ChipX...

Thanks,
                        Gary
                        They're going to wax their car over there.

Best post I've ever read.

Comment

The above description says it has no abrasives. How can it be similar to M83 withou abrasives?

This non-abrasive formula gently smooths away micro-fine swirl marks on all paint finishes.

IGNORE: I found the answer already answered earlier -- did not see. I think the use of non-abrasives is very misleading for "label readers". I had recommended it and the guy balked...how can it remove swirls.
                          Al
                          ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Originally posted by sykou View Post
                            Just picked up my first bottle of swirlx. For those of you who applied it with the g110, did you start off at lower speed(2-4) to spread out the product, then increase to 5 or 6 to correct, then gradually decrease to "jewel"? Im thinking since the new line doesn't use diminishing abrasives, the jeweling process will have little to no effect as there are no abrasives that need to break down. Wondering whats the recommended method using the g110... Also i plan on using a white lake country ccs pad or the megs yellow pad. Thanks
                            Don't make it any more complicated than you have to, you can start out with a slow speed if you prefer and then after spreading the product out you can turn the speed up to 5.0

Lighten up your pressure for you last few passes...

Jeweling, final polishing, same thing.

Originally posted by Manly Man View Post
                            Is SwirlX "body shop safe"?
                            No.

SwirlX = No
                            ScratchX 2.0 = yes
                            Ultimate Compound = Yes

What I mean is, if I use SwirlX on my hood, and want to fix some paint chips, can I just clean the gunk out of the chipped area, or do I need to clean it with one of the "fresh paint environment" products before painting? The M8x series is not supposed to interfere with paint bonding, and I want to verify that SwirlX is similar.
                            Body Shop safe means it won't contaminate a body shop or your paint but when it comes to applying new paint you still have to remove ANY substance or ingredient that can interfere with surface adhesion.

For example, if you're applying a wax or a paint sealant after you do your prep work it doesn't matter if your prep chemicals were body shop safe or not because you just coated the paint with a product that's not body shop safe. So before painting the car or a rock chip you'll still need to remove the wax and prep the panel for fresh paint.

Make sense?

I've used M83/M80 before, and I was planning to purchase some more M80, but decided to try SwirlX on a used truck I recently acquired. Bottom line, I don't plan on purchasing more M8x. SwirlX was much easier to use and remove, worked faster, and left a better finish that I was able to achieve with the M8x and the G100. The truck isn't perfect, but it is much better.

Now if Meguiar's can develop a ChipX...

Thanks,
                            Gary
                            Check out www.DrColorChip.com

There's some recent threads on this topic if you do a little looking or searching..

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
                            The above description says it has no abrasives. How can it be similar to M83 without abrasives?

This non-abrasive formula gently smooths away micro-fine swirl marks on all paint finishes.

IGNORE: I found the answer already answered earlier -- did not see. I think the use of non-abrasives is very misleading for "label readers". I had recommended it and the guy balked...how can it remove swirls.
                            When you use the word abrasive it paints a picture in the mind of people of a scratchy product, or a product that will put scratches into the paint, since our products don't do that we refer to them as having the ability to abrade the paint without scratching the paint.

Yes it's using words our own way but the entire car wax industry is like that, look how many waxes and paint sealants are referred to as polish?

The way things are going, pretty soon there will be some new car wax tax and the tax revenues gained will fund the new Wax Police who will also be charged with the duty of regulating word usage in the industry.

I say this in jest... but it's probably some bureaucrat's dream...

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

SwirlX = No
                              ScratchX 2.0 = yes
                              Ultimate Compound = Yes
                              Wait, if SwirlX is not body shop safe, does that mean it'll leave something behind that might hinder bonding of a pure sealant lowering it's durability? What makes SwirlX not body shop safe while the other 2 products are?

Comment

Originally posted by bcwang View Post
                                Wait, if SwirlX is not body shop safe, does that mean it'll leave something behind that might hinder bonding of a pure sealant lowering it's durability? What makes SwirlX not body shop safe while the other 2 products are?
                                Hi and since the above is your first post to our forum,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

SwirlX is in our Consumer Line ans as such is not formulated for use in fresh paint environments because it doesn't have to be formulated for use in fresh paint environments.

It won't affect your wax or paint sealant from bonding to the paint, we've been doing this for over 100 years and making body shop safe product over this 100 years so I'm pretty sure our chemists know what they're doing as they've had a few years to figure it all out.

As far as what's in SwirlX that makes it so you shouldn't use it in a fresh paint environment I don't know as I don't need to know and wax companies don't share their proprietary information on discussion forums.

If you can get ALL the other wax companies to post their ingredients for ALL their products to ALL the discussion forums, then maybe after you get that done we might consider it but it's still highly unlikely we would join with the rest of the companies you convince to share their proprietary information over the Internet as that's not a good business model to follow in this industry.

All the concerns about this topic are worrying about nothing. If your paint is cured, that is if it's over 30 days old you can use anything on it safely.

If you ever want to get your car repainted, then take comfort in the fact that MODERN body shops know they need to sand and prep the exterior BEFORE painting and this would include removing any wax or paint sealants that have been applied previously to the paint. Body shops don't just wash or wipe down cars and then paint them.

I'm not sure why this topic would be a big concern to anyone? Feel free to explain why it concerns you.

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');