• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SwirlX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SwirlX

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm guessing there are many ways you can think of products which are not body shop safe. And my impression is that it's not safe because after you use swirlx, it may leave something on the paint that prevents paint from bonding over it. Well that fact itself doesn't concern me too much since I'm not using it in a body shop. But what does concern me is if I'm applying a pure sealant over it, it may also hinder the bonding of that since the sealant has no cleaners to help create a bare surface for it to bond to. So does this mean I have to follow some steps that body shop follows to get off whatever this leftover is so I have a perfectly good surface to bond my sealant to?

So basically, I'm wondering if the body shop safe products wipe off completely clean such that a pure sealant can be applied to it directly, while a body shop UNsafe product requires an additional IPA wipedown at minimum to get some sort of residue off such that a pure sealant has a better surface to bond to.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bcwang View Post
      \
      So basically, I'm wondering if the body shop safe products wipe off completely clean such that a pure sealant can be applied to it directly, while a body shop UNsafe product requires an additional IPA wipedown at minimum to get some sort of residue off such that a pure sealant has a better surface to bond to.

Thanks!

Like my good friend Mosca once posted to this forum, (paraphrasing)

"I've never walked into my garage to find a layer of wax on the floor surrounding the car because it slipped off the car's paint overnight"

It's less of an issue than it's made out to be in the forum world. The entire body shop safe issue has to do with Meguiar's being a manufacture and supplier to the refinishing world since the refinishing world was born.

Body Shop Safe means the product won't cause surface adhesion problems when spraying fresh paint onto a properly prepared panel.

Our chemists are well aware that after using ANY of our paint care product to prep the paint for wax that then a wax or paint sealant will be applied to the panel and they understand the protection ingredients need to bond to the paint. So all of this is understood and taken into consideration when formulating the entire line from start to finish.

Here's a couple of classic threads on this topic that date back to 2005 from our Hot Topics forum because there's so much mis-information in the forum world that they've scared people into thinking all kinds of wacky things about getting wax to bond to paint. I can't count how many cars I've buffed out and waxed in my life, but I've never worried about applying a Meguiar's wax or paint sealant over anything prepped by a Meguiar's product and I've never had any problems since I've been doing this, and I'm sad to say that's a long time...

Here you go...

From 2005 - Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT?

From 2004 - A question on wax bonding and the potential for interference by a quick detailer?

If you want a light cleaner/polish, (and that's what SwirlX is), but want to use a body shop safe product then use M205, it's a light cleaner/polish, (lighter than SwirlX), and body shop safe.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You might want to check this out too...

Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well, I was actually worried about bonding of something like ultima PGP, opti-seal, or zaino-cs on a surface that has some oils remaining. Not sure if swirlx wipes clean or maybe scratchx 2.0 wipes away cleaner. Maybe meguiars products have no problem bonding over any of the polishes or glazes, but I do use products from many different manufacturers.

Comment

Maybe meguiars products have no problem bonding over any of the polishes or glazes, but I do use products from many different manufacturers.
            Always follow the manufactures directions for their own product line as that way you should get best results.

Most of the companies you mentioned do make their swirl and scratch removers so to maintain a synergistic compatibility maybe consider staying inside a single companies line of products?

For example Zaino makes the ZPC which works about as aggressively as our M80 Speed Glaze but should be more chemically compatible with the Zaino sealants.

Or you do the normal recommendations by people worrying about bonding and was your car with Dawn dish-washing soap or wipe the car down with Isopropyl Alcohol, etc.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I was hoping to pick the best product no matter the company, for each step. From what I've read, swirlx with it's SMAT is one of the easier to use and finest finishing polishes out there, used by hand. This is why I'm using SwirlX. I guess I'll do an IPA wipedown as a precaution.

The interest here is I'd like to eventually use swirlx as a finishing polish as a final prep for a panel for LSP durability testing. If it left something behind that favors meguiars LSPs, then that wouldn't be quite fair. So I guess an IPA wipedown would really be a good idea.

On a side note, does Meguiars happen to have some sort of paint cleaner that will leave nothing behind after being wiped off? Something that could fit my purposes to be used after swirlx rather than just IPA?

Comment

hi ... already got my own bottle of Swirl-X .... am excited to start using this.....

umm ..... no problem if i use this with a Random Orbital polisher for Swirl-X application?

thinly applied right?

Comment

^^^ i'd also like an answer regarding random 10" orbital... i do believe i read somewhere that it is better to use a mf applicator or a DA... can't wait to try out swirlx on my brilliant black grand cherokee

p.s- i know this is my first post but i have been reading this site daily since last year!!! i also plan on using #7 and #26 after swirlx
                  www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

My brother just using it yesterday n he was Excited.

By using hand, swirls are gone, but scratches and holograms can't go out.

I might try it with Rotary, even I know the maximum is using DA. hehehe...

Cheers

Comment

I was hoping to pick the best product no matter the company, for each step. From what I've read, swirlx with it's SMAT is one of the easier to use and finest finishing polishes out there, used by hand. This is why I'm using SwirlX. I guess I'll do an IPA wipedown as a precaution.
                      The problem with your idea is as you stated there might be incompatibility between different companies chemicals. That's why it's usually best to stay inside a system, instead of mixing and matching but that's up to you.

The interest here is I'd like to eventually use swirlx as a finishing polish as a final prep for a panel for LSP durability testing. If it left something behind that favors Meguiar's LSPs, then that wouldn't be quite fair. So I guess an IPA wipedown would really be a good idea.
                      Remove all doubt and wipe everything down, remove all variables.

On a side note, does Meguiars happen to have some sort of paint cleaner that will leave nothing behind after being wiped off? Something that could fit my purposes to be used after swirlx rather than just IPA?
                      Off hand I don't know, we don't get this deep like some online enthusiasts always wanting to test everything. We apply the correction products, sometime some polishing and then seal up the paint with a wax or paint sealant and then stand back and admire the results. Testing, taking notes, taking pictures, stressing over variables and testing factors isn't as much fun as just finding a product brand that you like and becoming and expert with the products on you own car's paint and having some fun working on you car in your garage.

Find something you like and use it on your car, if you're car's a daily driver and sees a lot of abuse then wash and wax it more often to keep it at the level of appearance quality you prefer.

Good luck....

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ment View Post

umm ..... no problem if i use this with a Random Orbital polisher for Swirl-X application?
                        If you're talking about a machine that looks something like this,

Machine Photos - DA Polishers - Rotary Buffers - Traditional Orbital Buffers

Sealy Orbital Polisher

WEN Orbital Polisher

Then it's pretty much worthless for removing swirls and they are too slow and low in power. If your goal is to remove swirls out of a clear coat finish then you'll get better results faster using your hand with Ultimate Compound.

There's a number of threads about orbital buffers that explain why they don't work in this forum.

Hot Topics

Originally posted by ment View Post
                        thinly applied right?
                        You don't apply a swirl remover like a wax? So there is no applying a thin layer of a swirl remover. You work the product over the paint and try tor remove some paint off the car and then wipe the residue off before it can dry.

After you remove the swirls, then you would apply a thin coating of a wax, let it dry and after it completely dries you would wipe off the dried residue.

<HR style="COLOR: #b9b9b9" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
                        Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
                        (Posted in the The Information Station)

What's the difference between polish and wax?
                        (Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle)

There is a lot of confusion about the difference between a polish, and a wax. Many companies are marketing waxes and paint protectants as polishes and glazes and the terms have become almost interchangeable.

Professionals know there is a big difference.

Meguiar's is a true polish manufacture. That is, unlike many of our competitors that can only offer you a few products for cars with cured paint, Meguiar's product range runs from the highest quality finishing papers in the industry, to state-of-the-art pure synthetic paint protectants, to everything in-between.

>click the link above to read the rest of the article<
                        <HR style="COLOR: #b9b9b9" SIZE=1>

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by dreamps View Post
                          ^^^ i'd also like an answer regarding random 10" orbital... i do believe i read somewhere that it is better to use a mf applicator or a DA... can't wait to try out swirlx on my brilliant black grand cherokee

p.s- i know this is my first post but i have been reading this site daily since last year!!! i also plan on using #7 and #26 after swirlx

Here's a few threads on the topic of orbital buffers from the Hot Topics forum.

Rotary Buffers versus Random Orbital Polishers
                          Please explain Pros/Cons between Rotary and Orbital Buffers
                          Rotary vs DA Polisher vs Traditional Orbital Buffer

This link goes to a list of threads that explain why you can get better swirl removing ability with your hand than you can with a large orbital buffer.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/tags.php?tag=exert

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I would like to ask about orbital polisher,

Is it save to use orbital polisher? Since I'd try to use this 3-5years ago using Orbital Polisher combined with DC1-3. The result: Smearing and swirls still everywhere.

Thanks

vp920b
                            Indonesia

Comment

Yes, it is safe, but might not do anything.
                              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by vp920b View Post
                                I would like to ask about orbital polisher,

Is it save to use orbital polisher? Since I'd try to use this 3-5years ago using Orbital Polisher combined with DC1-3. The result: Smearing and swirls still everywhere.

Thanks

vp920b
                                Indonesia
                                It's safe to use an old fashioned orbital buffer but it's also ineffective, that is it's not powerful enough to effectively remove swirls out of clear coat paints.

Read through this thread,

Rotary vs DA Polisher vs Traditional Orbital Buffer

If you want to remove swirls out of a clear coat finish you really need to get tool like this or learn to work by hand.

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');