• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

It would taste like M105? I know I'm happy polishing with Meguiars- but I'm gonna keep my mouth shut and the buffer on low!!!!!!

Comment

So if I use the 105 and then the M205 I dont need to use anything after that?

Comment

Originally posted by woodturner2 View Post
        So if I use the 105 and then the M205 I dont need to use anything after that?
        M205 is a finishing polish and while it does impart a deep gloss/shine, it does not provide any protection for your paint. After the M205, you should apply a wax/sealant if you want to provide protection.

5 Step Paint Care Cycle

2013 Highlander - black
        2010 TL - black

Comment

[*]Spread at 600rpm[*]Couple of passes at 900rpm to begin working[*]Up to 1200rpm for a couple of passes[*]Then work on speeds 1500 - 1800rpm until residue goes clear (two mins tops)[*]Refine at 1200rpm for a couple of passes[*]Burnish at 900rpm to a finish

only 1 time apply product or reapply product every step in this zenith point technique

Comment

OK, I got a question. To be on the correct side of things, is it safe to say that I use M105 with 8006 and M205 with 9006? I am seeing different variations of uses. Also, the M205 will permanetly remove swirls right? Or do I need to something like swirlx...

This is all by using a DA

Comment

Originally posted by levorn10 View Post
              OK, I got a question. To be on the correct side of things, is it safe to say that I use M105 with 8006 and M205 with 9006? I am seeing different variations of uses. Also, the M205 will permanetly remove swirls right? Or do I need to something like swirlx...

This is all by using a DA
              Swirl X should not be needed after M205.

Regarding your question about permanent swirl removal...
              If the M105 and M205 process is DA applied in both steps, you should not have a swirl (from either step.) The DA process wont generate a machine induced swirl with any product.

If, however, the M105 and M205 process is to go after a previously applied buffer swirl...then I would say the M105 may not be necessary. Even on a severe swirl, the M205 first DA applied with the W8006, then again with W9006 should do the trick in most cases. In some cases, the M205 could do it in one step.

Comment

Originally posted by levorn10 View Post
                Also, the M205 will permanently remove swirls right? Or do I need to something like swirlx...
                Permanently removing swirls or any below surface defects means you have leveled the upper surface of the paint with the lowest depth of the defects you're trying to remove. See this thread for more information on this topic,

On this forum we encourage people to do a Test Spot, that is to test out the product, pad and process, (hand or machine and type of machine), to a small section and insure you're removing the defects to your satisfaction and getting the appearance results you're looking for before going over the entire car.

We also teach the philosophy,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

The idea being to remove the defects while leaving as much paint on the car as possible. Doing the above usually means having a selection of products in your tool chest or arsenal of products so that you can first test and then choose and use the best product for the job.

It is during the testing process where you will find out if M205 together with your pad of choice, your tool and your skill and technique will remove whatever defects it is you're going after.

Paint systems vary and what works on one car may not work the same on a different car. We can't emphasizes enough to do some testing first and that means you'll need to have a few products on hand to do the testing.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wow, great info, looks like this is the product I need, and I will go pick one up today for my wifes 2004 black Mazda RX8 and my 1998 Ford Expedition.

QUESTION:
                  Deep Crystal Polish has always been my choice for the polish step in the 5 step process. Somehow, within the past year I have ended up with a second bottle of Deep Crystal Polish, new and unopened, in addition to an existing half-opened bottle. After applying Mirror Glaze 205, will there be any harm in applying another coat of polish using Deep Crystal, until the two bottles are used up?

Although a second coat of polish may be unnecessary, it never hurts, and I'm just wondering if there is any issue with using one polish product followed by another polish product.

Thanks

Comment

To add to my previous message.......my wifes RX8 is the car I spend the most time on.

The paint is generally in good to excellent condition. Mostly garage kept, no clear coat oxidization or any neglect at all. On average it gets washed every 10 days and I use the Ultimate Detailer, while maybe 3-4 times a year I do the wash/wax process w/ NXT, and twice a year I do the paint cleaner/polish/wax process, and at some point in that maintenance regimen it gets clay barred once a year.

I don't think I need a "dedicated" swirl mark remover, I pretty much stay on top of that. I'm thinking I need a product that will polish first and foremost, that will also stay on top of any swirl marks or slight defects that may pop up as it is a daily driver, considering that black paint tends to accentuate any swirls or imperfections easily. Again, probably used twice a year.

Also, related to my above question about "finishing off" my supply of Deep Crystal Polish, if I use Mirror Show Car Glaze No. 7 after applying M205 Polish, is there any advantage to using the No. 7 over the Deep Crystal, and, is that still "overkill" and waste of a good product?

(Side note.....who is the genius at Mazda that chose to put a whitish colored primer underneath a soft black paint??!?)

Last edited by To be named later; Mar 7, 2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

By using M205, you are removing the DC2 Polish that is on the surface. M205 is a cleaner, which will help to remove those swirls. DC2 Polish and M07 do not have any cleaning properties and will not remove swirls.

M205 should finish very fine, so a polish (like DC2 Polish) may not be needed. It's your choice.

There really is not a need to apply two polishes at the same time - DC2 or M07.
                      Chris
                      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

I may have missed this info, but I've seen M205 (and M105 for that matter) for sale online for much less than most sellers. Could this be the old formula? the label is the same. Is there a way to tell that I'm getting the new stuff?

Thanks!

Comment

The new M105 has a different label on the back, which shows a picture of a DA.

M205 has not been updated (it just came out).
                          Chris
                          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Can someone please tell me what "paintable" means on the M205 and other Mequiar's products. Does it mean it can actually be painted over or what, that sounds a little strange to me. I am a home painter and in process of completing some touch up on a new paint job after using M105 and M205 and need to know if I need to do the reqular cleanup routine that I would do before the initial painting before I spray the small touchup areas. Thanks.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that what "paintable" means in this context is that the product is safe to be used in body shops where cars are being freshly painted. Here's a quote from the Megs' FAQ:

The terms body shop safe, and paintable, are terms Meguiar's uses to describe products that do not contain any wax, silicones or other ingredients that will negatively affect surface adhesion in a fresh paint environment.
                              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                              --Al Kimel

Comment

M205 is paintable...but I would recommend you do your paint clean up routine anyway. You need to clean the paint of all contaminants before painting...such as moisture, lint, dust, finger prints, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');