• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
    Jason, any chance you can share your experience with M205 regarding pad choice?

If M105 and Meguiar's Yellow Foam (Let's say the SOLO pad) was used and left minor holograms, would you typically reach for a finishing pad (black 7 inch 2.0 pad), or another yellow pad?

I know it's impossible to make a universal rule as all situations vary, but general experiences or tips would be a great start for those of us who haven't played with it yet.
    Reach for the new W9207 Finishing Foam Pad, or Solo WDFF7 Finishing Foam, or W9000 Finishing Foam pad. The point is...a finishing pad is your first choice. Then go to yellow foam if/when you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rose View Post
      Reach for the new W9207 Finishing Foam Pad, or Solo WDFF7 Finishing Foam, or W9000 Finishing Foam pad. The point is...a finishing pad is your first choice. Then go to yellow foam if/when you need to.
      Awesome, thanks!

Comment

Wow, 105/rotary/yellow pad to 205/DA/black pad! That would be game changing indeed.
        Jason

Comment

I'm currently working on a 2007 Chevrolet Dualie.

The paint is original, and in good shape. It has a lot of orange peel (which is fine), but it needed a bit of polishing.
          Since the dualie has a long life ahead, I didn't want to 'eliminate peel' or remove a lot of paint.
          So, it got a quick blast of the updated M105 and a follow up of the all new M205.

I tried to show the clarity of the clear but I'm a 'point & shoot' camera user. Hey, I had to either spend time with the camera, or the buffer. The buffer won.
          This paint was wiped with an Ultimate Wipe and Detailer Glass Cleaner (3X).
          Not trying to hide anything with a funky lighting trick or anything. I wanted the metallic sparkles to show so that why the pictures are so close to the paint.
          Process was:
          M105 via Meguiar's G100, speed 6, 5.5" foam pad.
          M205 via Meguiar's G100, speed 5, 5.5" foam pad.
          In this case, the pads were not Meguiar's.

I did the wheels with M105 and M205, too!

Process was:
          M105 via rotary, 3" foam pad, speed 1,800 rpm.
          M205 via rotary, 3" foam pad, speed 1,800 rpm.
          I used a water bottle to mist the wheels when the polishes started to dry.
          Then, I did a hand polish with a metal polish.
          didn't have any Meguiar's metal polishes on hand, so I had to use Blue Magic.
          Kevin Brown
          NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rose View Post
            ...a small amount goes a long way.
            Thats an understatement!
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
              Not trying to hide anything with a funky lighting trick or anything. I wanted the metallic sparkles to show so that why the pictures are so close to the paint.

Just out of curiosity, why use the detail glass cleaner and not Isopropyl alcohol?
              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

The paint is original, and in good shape. It has a lot of orange peel (which is fine), but it needed a bit of polishing.
                Since the dualie has a long life ahead, I didn't want to 'eliminate peel' or remove a lot of paint.
                So, it got a quick blast of the updated M105 and a follow up of the all new M205.

I tried to show the clarity of the clear but I'm a 'point & shoot' camera user. Hey, I had to either spend time with the camera, or the buffer. The buffer won.
                Process was:

I did the wheels with M105 and M205, too!

Process was:
                M105 via rotary, 3" foam pad, speed 1,800 rpm.
                M205 via rotary, 3" foam pad, speed 1,800 rpm.
                I used a water bottle to mist the wheels when the polishes started to dry.
                Then, I did a hand polish with a metal polish.
                didn't have any Meguiar's metal polishes on hand, so I had to use Blue Magic.
                WOW! That pic is awesome! It looks almost as if you are looking into the paint canister, with some fresh metallic green paint about to be sprayed...it's so liquid looking!
                Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, why use the detail glass cleaner and not Isopropyl alcohol?
                  Could be that it was just handy... most detailers have glass cleaner around because they're going to clean the windows.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    Could be that it was just handy... most detailers have glass cleaner around because they're going to clean the windows.

That's right!

Plus, it contains isopropyl alcohol and a solvent commonly used to clean things (such as glass and paint)... No trade secret- MSDS lists it.
                    Kevin Brown

Comment

Originally posted by kevin brown View Post
                      in this case, the pads were not meguiar's.

Last edited by ZoranC; Nov 21, 2008, 06:43 PM.

Comment

That's right!

Plus, it contains isopropyl alcohol and a solvent commonly used to clean things (such as glass and paint)... No trade secret- MSDS lists it.
                        Same for Invisble Glass (liquid form). I use it to wipe down after polishing as well. No reason for another spray bottle in my truck.

BTW.........
                        Duallie looks SICK!
                        www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Process was:

Can you comment on the new 105 vs. the old 105?
                          Dusting?
                          Work time?
                          Cut/time it took to correct?

Andy comments on the new 205?
                          www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

You Da man!!!!! Awesome work as usual Kevin!! I love the 3D clarity of the paint and metallic flake!!!

Hopefully if it warms up this weekend, I have a detail planned so I can do a full review of the *New* M205!

Tim
                            Last edited by Tim Lingor; Nov 22, 2008, 10:00 AM.
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
                              Can you comment on the new 105 vs. the old 105?
                              Dusting?
                              Work time?
                              Cut/time it took to correct?

Andy comments on the new 205?
                              Yes.
                              Dusting has been eliminated.
                              However- I hope users will remember to CLEAN THE PAD often.
                              For me, the dust was not bothersome. Rather, I looked upon it as beneficial since dusting helps to remove spent abrasive and attached paint remnants (from the pad surface). So, if you encounter ANY swirling whatsoever, chances are the pad is causing the swirl (as being aggressive or contaminated).

Work time is very good.
                              I split 'work time' into two categories: Working cycle or abrasive cycle.

The working cycle is a design parameter.
                              Meaning, the amount of time the liquid removes paint with a reasonable (or common) amount of downward pressure was considered and designed into the product. So, once the lubricating agents have evaporated or soaked into the pad, or once the designer/and or user of the liquid feels that the liquid no longer delivers a positive change to the paint surface, the cycle is over. Maybe the abrasive becomes less efficient at removing defects, or possibly so much paint has been removed it packs the pad (or surrounds the abrasive), causing swirls and/or diminished performance.

The abrasive cycle is the time that the abrasive can continue to abrade paint and deliver a consistently abraded paint surface. With this product, I can blow the pad clean (with compressed air), and continue to fine polish the paint surface (with a random-orbital). Even though most of the polish has been removed via cleaning, there's still some attached to the pad (and moisture remains permeated through the foam).

Cut time is going to astonish those that will be using the M105 with an orbital for the first time.
                              Rotary users may or may not notice a difference in cut time, but that depends upon many variables, such as pad choice, speed choice, and applied downward pressure. Overall, an overwhelming majority of field testers saw no difference (meaning, the cut was great).

As for M205, it is quite simply the most incredible polish I've ever used, and I've been 'rubbin' cars' for 24 years. This is a no-brainer polish, and it will even blow the skirts up on the 'gurus' of the polishing world.

So far, I've seen the best results by applying 25-30 pounds of total downward pressure, and move the G100 at about one-inch per second. Of course, I am being VERY persnickety. For reference, I put my G100 with a W8006 on a digital scale, and held the machine as I normally would apply a product such as M09, M83, or M66. That downward pressure (with the machine weight included) registered 16 pounds.

Buy this stuff. You will become a great paint polisher overnight, you'll make more money, you'll make new friends, retire early, and live a long, healthy, prosperous life.

Well, okay, a bit of exaggeration there. But the paint polisher overnight stuff has merit.
                              Kevin Brown

Comment

Kevin, have you had an opportunity to compare M205 with SwirlX? If SwirlX is part of my arsenal (which of course it is not yet), would I have any need to also have a bottle of M205? Even if it does not help me make more money, make new friends, and establish world peace, just the promise of becoming a great polisher overnight sure sounds promising.

Al
                                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                                --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');