• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Hi guys,

How come Ultra Finishing Polish is not called Ultra Finishing Cleaner?

I mean, this product seems to have cleaning abilities, so why is it called a polish?

Thanks,

Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicked View Post
      Hi guys,

How come Ultra Finishing Polish is not called Ultra Finishing Cleaner?

I mean, this product seems to have cleaning abilities, so why is it called a polish?

Thanks,

Nick.
      It's part of a system where the first part is a compound. After using the aggressive compound to remove the defects and leave a very nice finish you then use a finishing product which is what M205 is as a follow up to polish the paint and maximize the gloss and clarity.

It has cleaning ability but after you use it one time you'll understand why it's an ultra finishing polish.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great thanks for the info Mike, I suppose that means that applying #7 after Ultra Finishing Polish would be unnecessary given that the polishing step will have already been taken care of by the Ultra Finishing Polish.

Also, I take it that we can move straight to waxing after the Ultra-Finishing Polish, without an IPA wipedown in between?

Sounds like this is going to become a regular in my line-up .
        Last edited by Slicked; Nov 30, 2008, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Great thanks for the info Mike, I suppose that means that applying #7 after Ultra Finishing Polish would be unnecessary given that the polishing step will have already been taken care of by the Ultra Finishing Polish.

Sounds like this is going to become a regular in my line-up .
          They perform different tasks imo. In my slightly different interpretation of the different terms, #7 is a glaze whereas M205 is a finishing polish. One corrects, whereas the other fills and adds gloss.
          We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

It seems to me that Ultra Finishing Polish falls into the category of a cleaner/polish for the purposes of Meguiars terminology. That is, it has light cutting abilities and lays down a layer of polishing oils, so that a coat of wax can be applied immediately after buffing off, with no IPA wipedown.

If this is correct, then it seems to that Ultra Finishing Polish is similar to #80?

Comment

I'm telling you one thing.........
              It seems that most of use will only need 105 and 205.
              Is this shooting the other products like #80 and #09?

I personally will see no need for them.
              www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

It seems to me that Ultra Finishing Polish falls into the category of a cleaner/polish for the purposes of Meguiars terminology. That is, it has light cutting abilities and lays down a layer of polishing oils, so that a coat of wax can be applied immediately after buffing off, with no IPA wipedown.

If this is correct, then it seems to that Ultra Finishing Polish is similar to #80?
                PURELY in the sense that they both finish out well, and leave oils- yes.

But in terms of the cut, technology, working process, and sheer unbelievable level of results, no.

Comparing #80 to M205 would be like saying that a VW Beetle and a Porsche Carerra are the same thing because they are both cars and made by the same [parent] company. Do you get what I mean? They are similar in a sense, but vastly different at the same time.

Comment

I've not had the opportunity to try 205 yet, and this is just a guess on my part, but would it be safe to assume that 80 would still be your go to polish on older vehicles, especailly SS painted ones since that's when it was developed and was geared towards paints in that time frame? Where as 205 being new, would would better on new paints, such as the CC paints we are seeing today?

If this is not the case, then I agree with Justin, what would be the need for products in the 80 series???

Comment

Mike Phillips had that one post where they used M205 and went straight to the LSP wax on the batmobile, which has older single stage paint and it came out looking super glossy and rich, like it had a good amout of polishing oils

Comment

• Re: M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                      would it be safe to assume that 80 would still be your go to polish on older vehicles, especially SS painted ones since that's when it was developed and was geared towards paints in that time frame?
                      M80 came out in the early 1990's. I have an original flyer for it somewhere. It was a part of the first "Professional Detailer Line" when Meguiar's took the step to go after the Professional Detailing market. Like most/all our paint care products, our chemist formulate them to work on a wide range of paint types.

I was told that one of the things M80 was designed to do was be a production product for getting auction cars ready for sale, for this you would want a product that with a rotary buffer and a wool pad could go after light to medium swirls and scratches, work on just about any kind of paint, create incredible gloss and wipe off easy.

It's just another benefit that it also works well with a DA Polisher for pros and enthusiasts on personal cars and customer cars with most of the same benefits and features.

Some people might think it was designed for older single stage paints because of it's rich content of polishing oils but that's wasn't the primary intention as pointed out above it's probably more of a coincidence as it does work really well when it comes to restoring, dried-out, oxidized single stage paints.

As immortalized by these pictures...

Before

After

Originally posted by OhioCarBuff View Post
                      Mike Phillips had that one post where they used M205 and went straight to the LSP wax on the Batmobile, which has older single stage paint and it came out looking super glossy and rich, like it had a good amount of polishing oils
                      Close...

Ryan our Avatar Czar machine applied #7 Show Car Glaze after the M205 as an extra step to maximize the depth, color and gloss of the single stage paint on Nate's Batmobile.

As for will M205 replace M80 Speed Glaze or other 80's series products? Time will tell but our market for the 80's series is huge and often good news can travel slow into some segments of our market so it could just take a while for some people to learn about M105 and M205

Besides that, "yes" there will be cannibalization of the 80's series line by these two new products.

Personally I have not had the good fortune to use M205 on any substantial single stage detailing projects. I will be trying it out on a 1938 Packard this Saturday and the Packard has some original paint and some re-sprayed panels but even the what you would call the new paint is still old...

The plan right now is to TEST M205 by hand on the paint on this car and see how it works. Even if it does work great because of the expectations of the owner and the distance I have to drive to the car one direction, I will be polishing with a pure polish after the cleaning step and then applying an LSP, not sure what I'm going to use for the LSP yet.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thank you Mike...

Comment

Yeah thanks Mike. That cleared me up.

#21 2.0
                          D-151

All a detailer needs.
                          www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
                            Yeah thanks Mike. That cleared me up.

#21 2.0
                            D-151

All a detailer needs.
                            You're strictly correct , but I need to have #7, #26, Gold Class wax, #135 etc, etc, on the shelf as well .

The important point I think is that finishing with 205 means you clean and polish at the same time, which is handy, because it seems that there's no need for an IPA wipedown unlike when using something like Menzerna Final Finish which is a pure finishing compound with no polishing oils and is hard to wipe off.

Can't wait to try this stuff out.
                            Last edited by Slicked; Dec 3, 2008, 03:26 PM.

Comment

You're strictly correct , but I need to have #7, #26, Gold Class wax, #135 etc, etc, on the shelf as well .

The important point I think is that finishing with 205 means you clean and polish at the same time, which is handy, because it seems that there's no need for an IPA wipedown unlike when using something like Menzerna Final Finish which is a pure finishing compound with no polishing oils and is hard to wipe off.

Can't wait to try this stuff out.
                              We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

after using your 105 in the uk i can't believe how good it is.

Now you tell me there is going to be a 205 to finish. Am i going to have to book a flight to the us so i can get it before next summer.

Or do you think if i ask the uk hq nicely enough they will include me in the test

I want a shot and i can't wait

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');