• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New Formula DA Polisher Approved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New Formula DA Polisher Approved

I too had a dusting problem with #105 v.1. Until I cut back on the speed and this was with the G100 (I know it's not recommended). I was using speed 6 and cut all the way back to 3 just to see what happened. There was no loss in cut at all! The dusting was gone too. I think that the absence of heat increased the work time and 105's cut is not based on speed.

Can't wait for v.2.0!
    www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

any updates on a shipping date?
      If you think it it's expensive to hire a professional,
      hire an amateur first.
      King of the Mustang louvers

Comment

Originally posted by 100kdown View Post
        Mike,

I'm just a tad confused here. Which is more aggressive? The M105-DA or the Ultimate Compound? Or, am I way off base on these products' intended application? Also, is it reasonable to follow either product with M09 if hazing or micro marring should develop? Or would the preferred followup product be M205? WOW! I'm more confused than I thought!
        Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        M105 is on our Professional Line for use in body shops to primarily use with a rotary buffer to remove sanding marks.

Ultimate Compound is in our Consumer Line for use primarily by hand or with a DA Polisher on cured paint or factory baked on paint.

Two different markets, two different needs/situations. Common sense tells us the Pro version for removing #1200 grit sanding marks with a wool pad on a rotary buffer is going to be more aggressive.

M205 is the recommended follow-up for M105, says that in this thread,

M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

and even on the back label which is posted to the above thread.

Lots of confusion on the forum when new product are introduced, lots of hypothetical questions being asked... no worries... everything will be discussed to death until everyone is happy with the answers to their questions... gives me something to do...

Does this mean Ultimate Compound is essentially the new M105 in a smaller bottle? I sure could use a smaller bottle compared to a gallon. Then we could go to Swirl-X instead of M205?

Comment

Bump...

Comment

What's the recommended pad to use with the new M105 with a G110? A polishing or cutting pad? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
              Does this mean Ultimate Compound is essentially the new M105 in a smaller bottle? I sure could use a smaller bottle compared to a gallon. Then we could go to Swirl-X instead of M205?
              Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
              Bump...
              Please remember that Meguiar's over it's history has been a major supplier to the Professional side of the industry, that is we make body shop safe products for people that wet-sand, cut and polish fresh paint in fresh paint environments.

M105 and Ultimate Compound and M205 and SwirlX are not the same formulas nor the same products just in different containers.

Are they similar? Probably, I'm not the chemist that created the products but I have asked this question because I knew someone else would ask it on this forum and above in bold letters is the answer. Ultimate Compound is not formulated for use with a rotary buffer and is targeted at the Consumer market where people are working on cured paint. Same goes for SwirlX

Click the links below and read the entire text for all the information, I've copied and pasted the pertinent portions.

Ultimate Compound
              • Restores color/clarity to abused & neglected finishes
              • Cuts as fast as harsh abrasives - without scratching
              • Obsoletes traditional rubbing & polishing compounds
              • Used by hand or with our DA
              This revolutionary

SwirlX
              • Effortlessly removes swirl marks while improving color and clarity
              • The easy-to-use solution for the #1 paint problem
              • Used by hand or with our DA

Originally posted by Jam View Post
              What's the recommended pad to use with the new M105 with a G110? A polishing or cutting pad? Thanks.
              At this time we no longer recommend any of our cutting pads for use with a DA Polisher. So the answer is our foam polishing pads. Click the link below and read the entire text for all the information, I've copied and pasted the pertinent portions.

W7207 Washable Foam Cutting Pad

Key Features
              • New foam technology cuts through moderate surface defects with fewer swirls
              • More consistent cut throughout life of pad
              • 7" pad size helps to reduce chatter resulting in easy buffing
              • High tech laminate provides durability and is machine washable
              • Recessed backing for easy centering
              • Recommended for use with rotary buffer only

NOTE: The official recommendation for this new cutting pad is for use with a rotary buffer only. That said we know that a lot of people will use this with a dual action polisher and in most cases if you keep your speeds at or below the 5.0 speed setting it can be an effective cutting pad in addition to your choice of compound, paint cleaner, cleaner/polish or cleaner/wax.

If you choose to use this new cutting pad with a dual action polisher please do a test spot first with your products of choice and inspect the results to make sure you're getting the results you're looking for and if not then stop your process until you can dial in a process that does produce the results you're looking for.

There are many pant systems on the market both OEM and Refinishing, (Auto Body Shops), and each paint system can react differently to different levels of aggressiveness when it comes to pad and product selection. In some cases a cutting pad will remove the defects faster and more effectively but in order to create an acceptable finish you may have to do a second cleaning/polishing step using a less aggressive pad and product before going to wax.

So always perform a test spot first and dial in an acceptable process for your car's paint system before going over the entire car.

PLEASE REMEMBER: When you use a "foam cutting pad" on a D/A, you certainly increase the defect removal BUT you also increase the risk of hazing or micro marring on certain finishes. Both defect removal ability and hazing/micro marring depends on the paint, the user, and the product. Unfortunately, there is no absolute in this arena.

Hope that helps....

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just to note, all the information on all the new products and all the improved products can be found in dedicated threads just for each product in this forum being post to, here's the link.

2009 New Products and Improved Products

Scroll through the threads until you find the product you're interested in and then click on it for more information. Also at this time note that there are 2 pages of threads in this forum so don't forget to check out the products/threads on page 2 of this forum group.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                    Ummm, we don't have this here in Australia yet - it's not even out in the States yet. You must have tried the original M105.

And, at the risk of taking this thread off topic:
                    As for NXT's durability, I too don't see the issue. I get three months out of an application of NXT in the Aussie weather. Are you sure the surface was prepared correctly before waxing?
                    I tried a new deal with NXT 2.0 , I left the wax on overnight ??? and the results are outstanding now ? it shines like unreal and holds the slick feel even after the birds, gum trees etc , (this is the liquid version )
                    my car sits outside day and night within a block from the windy salt mist ridden beach not in a pristine garage , yes I cringe to think of the damage the salt causes . and still amazed by the m105 .....that is a miracle product!!!! . used it on my headlights by hand and it took them right back to the clear clean shine. not the yellowing like before.

thanks mike your tops

Comment

Aw man I'm so mad.....I ordered the wrong sample of M105 I ordered the original by mistake. Guess I can't use it on a DA

Comment

What is it about the "old" 105 (great stuff that I first learned to use with a rotary at a Meguiar's advanced class) that makes it "unapproved for" or "inappropriate for" a DA?

Edit: OK, I read this thread and understand: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25518. Thanks.
                        Last edited by christopherjhayes; Jan 3, 2009, 02:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Just a heads up ADS has the new M105 in stock!

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/m10512.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            The Internet is great in how it provides so much information with the click of a mouse, on this forum we try to present more comprehensive and thorough information on all topics and over the long run this will prove more valuable to our members and our lurkers especially when they compare the quality of the information provided here to what they can find on a few of the other detailing forums where information is often times opinions and short one liners.

I will say first hand that this site blows the other ones away with the great write ups and very well explained answers.

You guys rock!!
                            2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                            2005 Honda CRF250R
                            2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Autobacs have M105 on shelf now for $25.99

Comment

I got a lot of dusting quite quickly with M105 DA safe on G110. Would that be a sign to use more of the product?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');