• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe on Decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe on Decals

Hey everyone!

Would like to know if products like deep crystal paint cleaner are safe on decals?? Have you ever heard of Meguiars products damaging decals??
    Would like to know as work ute is filthy and needs a massive clean up this weekend..

Cheers in advance

Re: Safe on Decals

I do not know the official answer, but in my *personal* experience you can polish over decals similarly to paint, although I generally use less aggressive products.

I would *think* that DC paint cleaner would be plenty safe for a decal on a car. I just used a rotary, yellow polishing pad, and M86 on decals without issue...

Comment

I've never had any problems. Just be carefully around edges and corners.
      Scott

Comment

I have never had any problems either but you should use care around them just to be safe.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Depending on the decal of course I doubt the product itself would hurt it but you catching the edge or over working it might. Like Scott said, just be careful around the edges.
          Usually if the decal is to small for me to work inside the edges by machine I’ll just work around it and come back and work carefully by hand.

Comment

My experience with decals is very very limited (as I don't work on many cars besides my own, which are decal free) but very experienced detailers who I do trust strongly warn about being VERY cautious when dealing with them, including STRONG warning that "chemicals and/or abrasives in some products can remove the ultra thin coating on a decal leading to decal failure as the color starts coming off the decal and then finally breaks down."

Comment

Hey

thanks for the help and advice... You have got to love this place lol..

Cheers again

Comment

And just to add...

Meguiar's doesn't recommend any of our paint care products for decals or graphics. Some people have had good luck at improving the appearance of a deteriorated decals and graphics by lightly cleaning or apply a wax over them but with so many things, test first to a small area and if it doesn't look good stop.

Also as mentioned, always be very careful around the tips or edges of decals and graphics because once they start to lift it never gets any better.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');