• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gallon size waterless wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gallon size waterless wash

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
    Reclaiming your waste water is already and has been the law for over 30 years. I, as a mobile detailer, use reclaim equipment to capture and haul the waste water off site to be disposed of appropriately. We do not allow one drop of water to enter the storm drains.

In recent months I have incorporated a "waterless or water smart" wash model into our services. This is a spray and wipe type "washing." We have used last touch diluted 50/50 with much success.

The benefits to this type of washing are numerous.

Time savings over traditional wet washing and very little to no impact on the earths environment are the two greatest benefits.
    Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
    Last Touch is going to be slickest at full strength. Diluted that much you'd almost basically be QD'ing with water.
    Ok if you say so.
    Given your level of expertise, I have to think there is more to what you are saying than I am able to get out of it.
    Some of the questions that I have:
    1. Are you referring to the Meguiar's Last Touch Quick Detailer when you say "last touch"?
    2. Are you saying you are diluting the Last Touch 50/50 with water?
    3. If you are, isn't the statement that you are basically QDing with water fairly accurate? At least 1/2 of that mixture would be water so maybe water is not what you are using to dilute the Last Touch.
    Can you either elaborate a little on what you do or at least tell me what I am missing?

FWIW, I'm just a hobby detailer, but I have been using both waterless washes and rinseless washes quite extensively for several years. As I have become more comfortable with them, most of my washing is done with either a waterless or rinseless product. My occasional hose and bucket wash is because I enjoy doing it once in a while, not because I think it is necessary.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Comment

No discussion needed. Do a test, Mix up a 50/50 batch. Mist it on your car, use a clean high quality microfiber towel folded in quarters and gently wipe in one direction, flip towel over and buff dry.

If it scratches I am wrong, if it doesn't I am correct.

Let me know what happens.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

No discussion needed. Do a test, Mix up a 50/50 batch. Mist it on your car, use a clean high quality microfiber towel folded in quarters and gently wipe in one direction, flip towel over and buff dry.

If it scratches I am wrong, if it doesn't I am correct.

Let me know what happens.
        Well, you at least answered part of my question. You evidently do use water to dilute the Last Touch.
        There's a couple of reasons I have reservations about doing a test.
        1. I don't have any Last Touch. I do have Final Inspection and Final Detail, but that wouldn't be a true test of your procedure.
        2. If it scratches, you are wrong, isn't much consolation to me with my scratched vehicle.

I will, however be happy to read about the results of such a test performed by another member on their vehicle.

Other than cost, do you find there is a benefit to using the Last Touch in a diluted form. It certainly seems like the product as manufactured would work better. In fact if it works that great with that much water added, I would have expected Meguiar's to add the water and reduce their cost by 1/2.
        No disrespect intended towards Meguiar's, but they are in the business to make money.
        Charles
        The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
          Well, you at least answered part of my question. You evidently do use water to dilute the Last Touch.
          There's a couple of reasons I have reservations about doing a test.
          1. I don't have any Last Touch. I do have Final Inspection and Final Detail, but that wouldn't be a true test of your procedure.
          2. If it scratches, you are wrong, isn't much consolation to me with my scratched vehicle.

I will, however be happy to read about the results of such a test performed by another member on their vehicle.

Other than cost, do you find there is a benefit to using the Last Touch in a diluted form. It certainly seems like the product as manufactured would work better. In fact if it works that great with that much water added, I would have expected Meguiar's to add the water and reduce their cost by 1/2.
          No disrespect intended towards Meguiar's, but they are in the business to make money.
          1. No, it wouldn't be the same. Last Touch is the only QD product from Meguiar's that is recommended to be diluted 50/50 with water.

2. I have tested, or should I say use, Last Touch diluted 50/50 frequently to QD my car. I have never noticed any marring with a good quality microfiber. Joe makes cars VERY shiny and defect free. I don't want to speak for him but I would guess that he doesn't want to instill scratches into the finishes he leaves.

However, it is not meant for an extremely dirty car. Nor have I tried it. Meg's doesn't make a product that fits that description. Hence my request for one.

I actually like Last Touch diluted 50/50 more than at full strength. The benefit that *I* observe is easier WOWO...especially on a vehicle that is in need of wax. I feel like it is almost too slippery and just smears around on those types of vehicles at full strength. It's almost like the water adds just enough friction for the towel to work vs. just being pushed around. I'm sure Joe has his own reasons that may or may not differ from mine.
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
            Well then, where do I insert my foot?

No need for any flexibility contests here. I should have just said 1oz. per gallon.
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
              Given your level of expertise, I have to think there is more to what you are saying than I am able to get out of it.
              This was directed at Joe. I was in no way questioning his work.
              Originally posted by jmakado View Post
              1. No, it wouldn't be the same. Last Touch is the only QD product from Meguiar's that is recommended to be diluted 50/50 with water.

2. I have tested, or should I say use, Last Touch diluted 50/50 frequently to QD my car. I have never noticed any marring with a good quality microfiber. Joe makes cars VERY shiny and defect free. I don't want to speak for him but I would guess that he doesn't want to instill scratches into the finishes he leaves.

However, it is not meant for an extremely dirty car. Nor have I tried it. Meg's doesn't make a product that fits that description. Hence my request for one.

I actually like Last Touch diluted 50/50 more than at full strength. The benefit that *I* observe is easier WOWO...especially on a vehicle that is in need of wax. I feel like it is almost too slippery and just smears around on those types of vehicles at full strength. It's almost like the water adds just enough friction for the towel to work vs. just being pushed around. I'm sure Joe has his own reasons that may or may not differ from mine.
              You covered an area I was not at all familiar with. The recommendation by Meguiar's that Last Touch be diluted 50/50. It is a product I have never used and know next to nothing about.
              The things I don't know are the reason I asked the questions.
              I have never felt that a QD was intended for a dirty car and certainly wouldn't have considered using one at 1/2 strength.
              It evidently works and it is just the Last Touch and water and that is basically what I asked.
              Charles
              The Rainmaker

Comment

I'll have to read my Last Touch container again to be totally sure, but IIRC the 50/50 dilution is for claying. That's how I use it for QD'ing now for the previously mentioned reasons.

Sorry if my post made it sound like you where questioning Joe. I know you where not. That's the tough thing about forums sometimes. It's harder to judge a persons tone and intent than just talking if you know what I mean?

Also, I understand your hesitation using a QD at half strength. As a maint. product on a car with good protection it works good at full strength. I just prefer the feel of it at 50/50.

The best option would be to pick some up. Especially if you do a lot of claying and/or QD'ing. It is VERY economical for both and one of my most used products. I have not tried UQD yet but I might have to pony up for some this summer for QD'ing purposes given all the rave reviews it has here and elsewhere. Then I can keep the Last Touch for clay lube and rinse less wash testing....oh yeah rinse less wash!
                Jason

Comment

Now I know no one here is trying to make this a personal topic, but I felt I would just remind everyone that this is a FRIENDLY forum where we HELP people, not berate them.

Let's keep it that way

Comment

I've been using ONR the past two months and I like it. I would never try Last Touch as a rinseless wash for the simple reason that it was not formulated for such a purpose and has not been recommended to me by Meguiar's for that purpose. I want a product that is designed to to work as a rinseless wash. Until Meguiar's tells me they have a product that does the job as well as if not better than ONR, I'll sticking with ONR.
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Bump
                      Jason

Comment

I second this topic. I live in Arizona where the situation is exactly opposite - it's too hot to wash my car!

After the first rinse on my car the water will literally dry up before I can grab the mitt to start washing. If Meguiar's made such product I could use it in my garage. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');