• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Tape Line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Tape Line?

Today i taped some painters tape down the center of the hood of a lexus gx470 so i could compare the results when polishing. I polished with a g-110,a 7006 pad and m83 on speed 6. I took the tape off and now i have this line down the whole hood on the side where i polished. I guess i took off enough paint to make a visible line. Has anyone had this happen? I went over the line several times with the same combo and it is still there. Suggestions

Here is a pic. Its not the best but you can see the line right in front of my finger.
    Last edited by seanbreaux; Nov 14, 2008, 12:08 PM.
    2003 BMW X5 4.4i

Re: Polishing Tape Line?

Are you using a clean/fresh pad when you are trying to remove this line? Seem strange for the same combo not to work if its not the method has been changed somehow.

Comment

I'm guessing the paint was in real BAD shape, to be using a cutting pad on a DA? I think the version 1.0 cutting pads were not to used with a DA because of the scouring it does?

Cranking a DA up to 6 also is not recommended, because of the heat it will generate in the pads backing velcro?

If you've use the same technique on the non-test spot to even out the area and it's not working... I'm at a loss at what to tell you. M105 could be the hero of the day, if you had some. Great for using by hand. If you are going to be using your DA with M105, use a polishing pad only and at speed 5. If you start to notice dusting, you've worked it too long. M105 does it's job quickly.

(Meguiar's does NOT recommend a DA with the original M105)

Comment

Originally posted by TerryAdams View Post
        I'm guessing the paint was in real BAD shape, to be using a cutting pad on a DA? I think the version 1.0 cutting pads were not to used with a DA because of the scouring it does?

Cranking a DA up to 6 also is not recommended, because of the heat it will generate in the pads backing velcro?

If you've use the same technique on the non-test spot to even out the area and it's not working... I'm at a loss at what to tell you. M105 could be the hero of the day, if you had some. Great for using by hand. If you are going to be using your DA with M105, use a polishing pad only and at speed 5. If you start to notice dusting, you've worked it too long. M105 does it's job quickly.

(Meguiar's does NOT recommend a DA with the original M105)
        Bad is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I don't have any 105 unfortunately. I am going to keep trying the same combo if it doesnt work i might get some 105. The cutting pad marrs the paint pretty bad but i follow it up with a 8006 pad with m80 on speed 5 and finish it with a 9006 pad on speed 5 with color x and it looks really nice.
        2003 BMW X5 4.4i

Comment

I just noticed that you said you were taping to compare results. What was it you were comparing to? A untreated spot or comparing between different products?

I also think that combo you are using is kinda extreme. That's not saying its a bad combo but why did you need this much cleaning power?

Edit-Could it be a problem with the fact that the area was taped (glue)? What I mean is maybe you should try to wash it and clay it then redo your combo and see.
          Last edited by BBoe; Nov 13, 2008, 11:03 PM. Reason: You posted while I was typing up my post.

Comment

Originally posted by seanbreaux View Post
            I took the tape off and now i have this line down the whole hood on the side where i polished. I guess i took off enough paint to make a visible line.

Has anyone had this happen?
            Yes. Not a a fun result to see in some cases and teaches you to be careful with doing test spots.

Originally posted by seanbreaux View Post

I went over the line several times with the same combo and it is still there. Suggestions
            The only way to fix it is to level the paint flat and just like removing any below surface defect there's always a certain amount of risk involved.

In one case I wet-sanded the tape line flat and then removed my sanding marks. In other cases simply machine polishing enough did the trick.

Another option is to rub the line out carefully by hand using M105. See these threads that discuss the Popular Tag exert.

Be careful.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Yes. Not a a fun result to see in some cases and teaches you to be careful with doing test spots.

The only way to fix it is to level the paint flat and just like removing any below surface defect there's always a certain amount of risk involved.

In one case I wet-sanded the tape line flat and then removed my sanding marks. In other cases simply machine polishing enough did the trick.

Another option is to rub the line out carefully by hand using M105. See these threads that discuss the Popular Tag exert.

Be careful.

Thanks Mike,

I will keep trying CAREFULLY. I will post how it turns out. I think i will lay off the taping for comparison for a while. You learn something new everyday.
              2003 BMW X5 4.4i

Comment

Taping off for "Befores and Afters", are a good thing. Perhaps just start slowly, next time, ie. M80 with a Polishing pad test? On the picture posted, it looks as if the paint is cracked very deeply, in some areas. I wish you luck on making paint the best it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryAdams View Post
                  Taping off for "Befores and Afters", are a good thing. Perhaps just start slowly, next time, ie. M80 with a Polishing pad test? On the picture posted, it looks as if the paint is cracked very deeply, in some areas. I wish you luck on making paint the best it can be.
                  Ya it was left outside a lot so the birds got to it. Im not trying to make it perfect just a lot better.
                  2003 BMW X5 4.4i

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');