• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between ScratchX and Mirror Glaze Professional Swirl Remover 2.0 number 9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between ScratchX and Mirror Glaze Professional Swirl Remover 2.0 number 9?

These are both swirl removers. Are they abrasive? Why is one not on the web site? Which is best for removing light swirls from a brand new bike?

Re: Difference between ScratchX and Mirror Glaze Professional Swirl Remover 2.0 numbe

Originally posted by river View Post
    These are both swirl removers. Are they abrasive? Why is one not on the web site? Which is best for removing light swirls from a brand new bike?
    The current version of ScratchX uses diminishing abrasives, we're coming out with a new version that uses super micro abrasives and they don't break down. Both versions have the ability to remove paint so they are abrasive in that sense but they won't leave scratches in the paint as you use them as long as you use them correctly.

M09 is a cleaner/polish, this means it uses diminishing abrasives embodied in rich polishing oils to abrade the paint and as you work the diminishing abrasives they break down so they will remove defects, (remove a little paint), without leaving their own swirls or scratches at the same time. Again, this assumes you use this product correctly.

What are you working on? A motorcycle?

What kind of scratches are you trying to remove?

Are you working by hand or machine and if machine what kind of machine?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Difference between ScratchX and Mirror Glaze Professional Swirl Remover 2.0 numbe

Thanks Mike. Sounds like the ScratchX and swirl remover 2.0 are basically the same. I have extremely light scratches or swirls in my black paint on my Honda ST1300. Since the paint is new and perfect and black, they show up in direct sunlight or other direct light. I used a clean, wet towel to wipe dust off to photo the bike. I guess the dirts/dust on the bike abraded the surface. I now know I should have had soap on the cloth to float the dirt but the damage is done.

So, what is the correct way to use them? I searched this site, and there is little instruction on the bottle. I don't have a machine but would be happy to buy one. What should I get? I know the circular is dangerous for the inexperienced but don't know about the DA, orbital, other options at all. But I'll get anything that works best.

I've heard of the Porter Wagners, is that a DA?

I've also heard of swirl removers that just fill the swirls. If such exists and works well, I'd rather not abrade the paint.

Thanks
      Jim
      Last edited by river; Nov 15, 2008, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Its not a problem to work by hand to remove swirls, just takes a bit more effort.

Here are some links discussing it using ScratchX, though currently #105 would be the best product to use. In the spring, the newer products will be coming out. But the basic ideas remain the same.

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          Its not a problem to work by hand to remove swirls, just takes a bit more effort.

Here are some links discussing it using ScratchX, though currently #105 would be the best product to use. In the spring, the newer products will be coming out. But the basic ideas remain the same.

Mike, good reading, thanks a lot. That ScratchX seems like a great idea, why are you taking away the dminishing abrasives? Maybe I should stock up first...

Comment

By the way, I just bought a Porter Cable. I have a couple more questions but will start new threads.

Comment

One more question on this topic, Mike. The deep crystal polish description makes it sound like how you described the Meguiar's number 9 swirl remover. It's pretty confusing trying to tell the difference between things from the descriptions. But are these the same, more or less? Both have diminishing abrasives embedded in oils. Any clarification on the differences appreciated.

And I'll add one more....the description of ColorX sounds the same too. What's the difference with it?
              Last edited by river; Nov 16, 2008, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is not the same as M09. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner contains a very, very mild cleaner and no polishing oils. M09 is more aggressive and contains polishing oils.

ColorX is a cleaner wax that can remove light swirls and scratches, while leaving protection.

For reference, M09 is rated a 2 on the aggressiveness scale, while ColorX is equal to M66, which is a 4 on the scale.
                Chris
                Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Thanks very much.

Mike, I see in one of the threads you linked me to you answer a question about ScratchX as below. Does this mean the current ScratchX with the diminishing abrasives is not good for use with my soon-to-arrive Porter Cable?

Thanks again, sorry for the flurry of questions.
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Jefferson_One
                  1.) Would using an Dual-Action (D/A) machine reduce the number of applications needed?

With the new formulation of ScratchX making it machine compatible, yes. But if you're getting a machine you really should step up to something like M80 for even faster results.

Comment

Mike, I see in one of the threads you linked me to you answer a question about ScratchX as below.

Does this mean the current ScratchX with the diminishing abrasives is not good for use with my soon-to-arrive Porter Cable?
                    No, you can use both versions of ScratchX with a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable unit.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      No, you can use both versions of ScratchX with a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable unit.

Thank you sir!

Comment

Hi Mike. The marriage of 3M and Meguiar's sounds great. I'm sure in these financial times, it's very reassuring to have the backing of a mega-company like that, and it clearly means they have a lot of confidence in Meguiar's.

In the above comment, you made a comment about #105 that I did not pick up on at the time. I'm rereading to prepare for using my new Porter Cable. What is #105, and why did you say it would be good to use?

Thanks...

Comment

What is #105, and why did you say it would be good to use?
                          Thanks...
                          M105 Ultra Cut Compound is an aggressive cutting compound that uses a new abrasive technology exclusive only to Meguiar's. Pretty hard not to read great things about it on this forum and probably most other detailing forum.

Brand new version working it's way through the pipeline that can be used with a DA Polisher, the first version was hand and rotary buffer only.

Click on the picture to learn more...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike. Wow, with that cutting power, I'm afraid to use it to take out mild swirls, in place of Scratch X or #9. Am I right, or does it need to be followed by something like #9?

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Mike. Wow, with that cutting power, I'm afraid to use it to take out mild swirls, in place of Scratch X or #9. Am I right, or does it need to be followed by something like #9?

Thanks.
                              Do a test spot and get a feel for the product. It's you don't have to work it as aggressively as possible, remember part of how aggressive or non-aggressive any product is can be effected by you and your pressure and how long your work the product, and application material whether that's a foam buffing pad your hand pushing a wax pad over the surface.

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');