• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Love it when the engine looks new! Engine Detail 2008 Fit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Love it when the engine looks new! Engine Detail 2008 Fit.

Alright so I was washing my car the other day, and wanted to give the engine that "off the lot" look. Here's the run down, and how things went.

Items Used:
    Greased Lightning 4:1 in a Hot Wheels Foaming Spray Bottle
    H20 in Walmart Bottle
    Megs Hyper Dressing 3:1 in a Walmart Bottle
    Megs Last Touch Detail Spray 1:1
    Wheel/Tire Brush
    Toothbrush
    Walmart Paint Brush
    Microfiber

Time Spent: 30minutes

1. Some people like to work with a warm engine, but I have no problem working with a cool engine. Either way works, for me, its more the time you spend / effort put into the project.

2. If you have bad aim, line your surrounding car body parts with plastic. Then spray degreaser around your engine.

3. As you are letting the degreaser set work on the bottom of your hood, and top of the bumper. Use your detail spray to get that grime off the bottom of the hood and top of your bumper. Here is some of my progression.

4. Go back to your engine, and work by sections. Agitate the degreaser you already sprayed. Clean it with water, then respray if necessary. I use the toothbrush and paintbrush for hard to reach areas. I use the Tire brush for the easy to reach areas, and a microfiber with soap/water as round 2 to the tire brush.

5. Once you have finished cleaning all the areas of your engine bay, make sure you rinse it with H20 in a spray bottle. (I never use the water hose to rinse the engine.) Let the engine dry.

6. Make sure your engine has cooled down. Spray your diluted Hyper Dressing liberally in the engine compartment. I found that Hyper dressing 3:1 gives you that OEM clean look. (I can't remember waht goes first, product or water, but I use 3 parts water 1 part Megs HD.)

7. Let the HD set for 3-5 Minutes. Come back and wipe it down with a microfiber towel.

8. Enjoy

Before:

Cleaned:

Dressed:

My 59cent secret brush.
    Last edited by MDetail; Nov 14, 2008, 07:01 PM.
    Schotography

Re: I Love it when the engine looks new! Engine Detail 2008 Fit.

Looks great nice work! You have some very nice photos there! A clean engine is always nice to look at, its just a little extra something you can do to make your vehicle look its best.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

looks pretty good from here, very similar to 303 protectant look. Please report on durability too, I'm expecting at least a month before it starts fading...

Comment

This is the best way to get a quality repair job done!
        Mechanics love you for giving them cars this clean

Great job, I wish I had the motivation to do my car this nice

-Nick
        Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Your engine compartment looks great. Very clean. Great work and write up. Way to go.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by supercharged View Post
            looks pretty good from here, very similar to 303 protectant look. Please report on durability too, I'm expecting at least a month before it starts fading...
            I am sure it will last a while. When I used to use HD on my Integra it would last 2-3 months before it started to look dirty again. I think hyperdressing is dust/dirt repellent because I would see small dirt in the engine bay that could easily be brushed off. and the rest of it still looked brand new.
            Schotography

Comment

Looks great! Thanks for a great write up too, I think for those people who are hesitant to detail their engine this will help them.
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
              '99 F-150

Comment

Very nice work and awesome write up

Comment

Great work!! Plus, nice ride ... (Honda 4 Life)

Comment

Originally posted by mschoelen View Post

My 59cent secret brush.
                    Wow, really like new...
                    Did you wrap all the terminals or electrical plug?
                    BTW, i am happy to find there is Indonesian made painting brush there.
                    Last edited by gioprivatemove; Nov 20, 2008, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Fantastic result. And a great (very useful) write up.

Comment

Great Work!
                        SYDSTER

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');