• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting pads and buffer hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting pads and buffer hop

Tried out my new 7xxx pads today with M83. I noticed more tendancy to grab and/or hop than with the 8xxx and 9xxx pads or the wool cutting pads I've used in the past.
    It was manageable, I just had to pay more attention the amt. of product and how I used the buffer.

Is this the nature of the harder foam used in the 7xxx pads - are they just more "bouncy" than the softer ones? Or could there be something I'm missing in technique? I've got more than a little experience with rotaries but 99% is with wool pads.
    I saw it on the Internet...it must be true!

Re: Cutting pads and buffer hop

Cutting pads tend to be a little more friendly once you use them a couple times.
    Jason

Comment

Is this pad also slightly larger than your old pads? More surface area can make it grab more.

I had issues with this at first myself- but with practice and learning to adjust pressure and product amount I have all but eliminated it.

Comment

Here's an old thread about foam pad buffer hop:

Kevin Brown
        NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Thanks Kevin, thats a great article. It goes a long to to explaining why foam and wool pads behave differently and why hard and soft foam are different too. I'm a lot like that Sellncars guy: I've used rotaries for years with wool pads and agressive compounds on boat hulls but refining automotive paint with foam pads and very fine compounds is still new to me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with a little more experence. Thanks again for the tips!

Originally posted by jmakado View Post
          Cutting pads tend to be a little more friendly once you use them a couple times.
          I did notice that. Seems like the pad needs to break in a little.

BTW, would a slightly higher or lower speed make any difference? I have been setting my Makita @ 2.5 for about 1200 rpm.
          I saw it on the Internet...it must be true!

Comment

No, I think you are in the range. I tend to go a little slower than most and use a little more downward pressure. I feel most comfortable in the 1000-1200RPM range.
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
              Here's an old thread about foam pad buffer hop:

Good sleuthing work Kevin and a great thread on the topic, I just tagged it with Buffing Pad Hop so it will be easier to find via the Popular Tags box.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');