• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to apply properly apply compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to apply properly apply compound?

I am very excited about the new SwirlX and Ultimate Compound that are going to available soon. I will pick up both products when the weather permits me to use them.

I have a Craftsman 6" orbital which I use to apply NXT after claying my 05 Corolla. I have microfiber and cotton pads.

I'm looking for some tips and techniques as to how to properly apply a compound or cleaner/polish? Lets use M105 as an example since it is available to consumers now. I understand the basics covered here... arm speed, pressure, overlap, direction, small work area. But I still have some questions...

Like how much compound do I apply to the pad, does it matter? How do I know if I have applied too little or too much? Is this enough?

Should I apply the compound the same way I apply NXT? And that is to apply it to the pad then smear it over the work area. Then work the product with the orbital on.

Or should I try to pick up a bead?

How do I know when to stop working the product?

I know I sound like a noob learning to be a pro the first time using a compound. But I do a lot of research on products and techniques before applying them.
    Last edited by sunfire; Nov 20, 2008, 06:46 PM.

Re: How to apply properly apply compound?

Just an FYI sunfire, click-able links are not allowed until you reach 30 posts. I converted the link to the picture into an embedded photo.

Comment

Originally posted by sunfire View Post
      Like how much compound do I apply to the pad, does it matter? How do I know if I have applied too little or too much? Is this enough?

That's a good example of a right amount of product to start with.

Should I apply the compound the same way I apply NXT? And that is to apply it to the pad then smear it over the work area. Then work the product with the orbital on.
      If you have a DA polisher you would apply the product to the pad, with the machine turned off you would place the pad against the surface and then turn it on while the pad is flat on the surface, with very light pressure spread the product in the area you are about to work and then apply some pressure to the machine to start working the product.

Or should I try to pick up the a bead?
      No, on DA's and Orbital you can get splatter, sure you can also get it on a rotary if it isn't done correctly

How do I know when to stop?
      What product are you trying to use? I really depends what product you are using.

I know I'm trying to be a pro the first time using a compound. But I do a lot of research on products and techniques before applying them.
      You have to document yourself but all questions won't be answered if you don't give it a try, maybe the first time you won't get results like some of the guys around here but I'll bet you'll see great improvements

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
        What product are you trying to use? I really depends what product you are using.
        Thanks for your response. I don't know how the new SwirlX and Ultimate Compound will behave but they are based on the new micro-diminishing abrasive technology like in M105. So lets just use M105 as an example. How do I know when M105 is ready to be wiped off?

BTW, GJ with your friends Honda. Those are the results I'm aiming for.
        Last edited by sunfire; Nov 20, 2008, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your response. I don't know how the new SwirlX and Ultimate Compound will behave but they are based on the new micro-diminishing abrasive technology like in M105.
          These product actually use our new super micro abrasive technology, there is no "diminishing" word used in the name and the abrasives don't diminish, at least not like our diminishing abrasives.

So lets just use M105 as an example. How do I know when M105 is ready to be wiped off?
          Inspect the results periodically to see if you've reached your defect removal goal. You can buff as long as you have a wet/moist film of product on the surface but don't buff to a dry buff.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for your response. I don't know how the new SwirlX and Ultimate Compound will behave but they are based on the new micro-diminishing abrasive technology like in M105. So lets just use M105 as an example. How do I know when M105 is ready to be wiped off?

BTW, GJ with your friends Honda. Those are the results I'm aiming for.
            First thing is that Ultimate Compound and M105 don't use diminishing abrasives, they use something new called micro-abrasives.

To know when is ready to be wiped off then you'll have to check the results and evaluate the progress, what you always have to keep in mind is not letting the product dry, don't dry buff because this will become hard to remove and potentially can scratch the paint

Comment

Ah Mike, beat me to it

Comment

I'm looking for some tips and techniques as to how to properly apply a compound or cleaner/polish?
                All the tips and techniques in this article apply to what you're doing...

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher

How much you apply changes with the process. When you first start out with a dry pad it helps to use a little more product because some is going to penetrate into the pad thus you'll have less product on the surface lubricating the buffing process.

As you continue and your pad dampens with product you'll find you don't need to add as much product to get a buffing cycle.

The below photo is a photo by Tim Linger from this thread and if you read through the thread he actually provides a lot of information on how he used these product with great success.

*NEW* Product Review: 21-13B, 21-09B and 21-21A by Tim Lingor

[/quote]

That's not how we teach people and that's not how we type about it on this forum. Lots of people learn to work that way but that's not what we teach.

What we show people is to,
                • Set the polisher to the correct speed setting, for swirl removal use speed setting 5.0
                • Apply the product to the surface of the pad.
                • Place the face of the pad onto the surface of the paint.
                • Turn the polisher on and spread the product out over the area you're going to work. This is usually smaller than 2' square and the harder the paint, the worse the defects, the smaller the area you want to work. You can spread the product out quickly if you like because at this point you're just spreading the product out, after you have the product spread out then you want to slow down your arm speed because now you're going to be working the product against the paint and you want to move the polisher slowly.
                • Begin making overlapping passes usually in a couple different directions.

Or should I try to pick up a bead?
                Picking up a bead or strip of product is done with a rotary buffer because the pad is rotating and the act or technique of picking up a bead can be done because the pad is rotating. With a DA Polisher, if you hold the tool in the air, or even slightly off the surface like you would with a rotary buffer when picking up a bead it will tend to splatter product, not pull it into itself.

How do I know when to stop working the product?
                Inspect the results periodically to see if you've reached your defect removal goal. You can buff as long as you have a wet/moist film of product on the surface but don't buff to a dry buff.

I know I sound like a noob learning to be a pro the first time using a compound. But I do a lot of research on products and techniques before applying them.
                You're doing the right thing, asking questions and hopefully getting answers that will help you. Pay attention to the most common mistakes most people make and implement the solutions outlined here and this will go along way towards helping you to get good results without problems or frustration.

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');