• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deep, rich wet-look...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

And the young man who did it all,

Martin

"Each one, teach one"

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

WOW!!!
        Quadruple Honda Owner
        Black cars are easy!

Comment

Now that's what I call a big change!! My eyes are sore from looking at how much swirls that ferrari had but now, it's just perfect.. Worthy of the Ferrari name... Great teaching Mike!
          2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

great resulte!

only a particular: the correct name of little italian town where ferrari has got a private circuit (near the factory in Maranello) is Fiorano not Firiano!

Located in Fiorano Modenese, approximately 1 km from Maranello, Fiorano is the Ferrari test track. Built in 1972, the track is 3021 metres long. The idea behind the track was to take the most difficult bits of the various tracks raced on around the world, and to incorporate them in one track which would test a new car to its limits.

The world champion Michael Schumacher test the F1 Ferrari in Fiorano,

the last jewel ready for Le Mans, tested in Fiorano. (Maserati GT)

Last edited by Alain; Sep 23, 2004, 02:44 AM.
            www.mx5forum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alain
              great resulte!

Only a particular: the correct name of little italian town where Ferrari has got a private circuit (near the factory in Maranello) is Fiorano not Firiano!
              Hi Alain,

Thank you for correcting me, I'll go back through my article and use the correct spelling. I was working off the emblem on the passenger side of the dash and because of the script, I just couldn't make out the spelling. I then went to google.com and started doing some searching but still couldn't find much but that's because I was starting with the incorrect spelling to start with!

Again, thanks for the correction, and also the history behind the name.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike

I find it interesting that the speed glaze did the job. I would have thought you would need to use #83. I guess it goes to show that the Meguiars motto is good advice....less is more. Start with a less aggressive polish and move up if it does not get the job done.

-Bob
                -Bob
                NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Hi Bob,

Here's the skinny,

I've heard some things about the paint on Ferrari's over the years that led me to be cautious. That plus, I don't know who has gone before me and what they have used.

We chose Speed Glaze to see what it would do in the test. In the test it removed all of the light swirls and scratches, the few remaining were a little deeper. Because this is a driver, and because all of the UV protection for the basecoat is in the clear coat, sometimes you're better off to focus on the majority of the defects, (the light swirls and scratches), and live with anything that remains.

Mike has his detailer maintain the car on a weekly basis, because this was Martins first time using the G-100, Meguiar's foam pads and our chemicals, it was a learning experience to figure out how long to polish on section, his arm speed, (how fast/slow to move the G-100 over the finish and how much pressure to apply to the G-100. He did an awesome job for his first time, and as he works with these product even more in the future he will get even better at removing defects and producing stellar results.

The owner has ordered our G-100a promotion along with some #83, some #80 and some Tech Wax. I explained to Martin how to either go after any remaining swirls with a second application of Speed Glaze, spending more time on each panel, or to test the #83 DACP for it's effectiveness and then to re-polish using the #80 followed by waxing.

With a little more time, I'm confident that Martin will have a good feel for when to choose one product over another as well as perfecting his technique. I know he will soon have more customers, willing to pay higher prices for his time and talent.

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Good explanation.

With the Meguiars gift certificate coming from my daughter-in-law I plan to get some speed glaze and give it a try.

-Bob
                    -Bob
                    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Mike,

What is the difference between #80 and ColorX? They both seem to be one-step type products. Is the #80 just a touch more aggressive?
                      Last edited by gi53212; Sep 23, 2004, 10:54 AM.

Comment

WOW!!

That is a major change!!

I just got my Porter cable in the mail today and I am looking forward to using it and the products I ordered on my black F150

Comment

Originally posted by gi53212
                          Mike,

What is the difference between #80 and ColorX? They both seem to be one-step type products. Is the #80 just a touch more aggressive?
                          While these two products both clean and polish, they are completely different animals. The first big, major difference that jumps out at me is that one is a body shop tool, that is safe for use in body shop environments while the other is not body shop safe and formulated and marketed for use in the consumer market on cured paint.

The #80 Speed Glaze is body shop safe, uses a special diminishing abrasive that cuts or abrades the finish and then breaks down quickly. It is very rich in polishing oils like our pure polishes which adds a lot of richness and creates a very slipper surface for extended polishing time. It is unique in that it also contains a body shop safe polymer that adds a little protection to fresh paint during the curing time without sealing the surface and trapping any solvents or other chemicals trying to work their way out of the fresh paint.

The ColorX is a strong Cleaner/Wax with plenty of cleaning power, but I don't know that it uses the same type of diminishing abrasive as the #80 Speed Glaze, I'll guess that it's different. It also contains polishing oils and both synthetic polymers and Carnauba wax for protection and durability.

Good question...

Mike
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Un brillare superiore, molto bello!
                            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Do ferrari's have a really soft clearcoat? Or are they still single stage? Just curious after mike mentioned about how ferrari paint can be well, cautious minded.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt1Corvette
                                Do ferrari's have a really soft clearcoat? Or are they still single stage? Just curious after mike mentioned about how ferrari paint can be well, cautious minded.
                                All the newer Ferrari's I've worked on have been clear coated, but I've also worked on older ones that have single stage paint.

The only reason I was cautious was because I've been told numerous times from different detailing sources that they thought the overall quality was lacking. That's why I wanted to play it safe. To tell the truth, I thought the finish on this particular Ferrari was pretty decent, so I'm not passing any judgment, just being careful, that's all.

Mike
                                Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');