• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow.... thats just amazing...

since im not rich and stuff.... i only have a cheap orbital buffer but do you think i can get the same results if i use the right bonnet and the speed glaze and then gold class paste wax by hand afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86
      wow.... thats just amazing...

since I'm not rich and stuff.... i only have a cheap orbital buffer but do you think i can get the same results if i use the right bonnet and the speed glaze and then gold class paste wax by hand afterwards?
      The old style orbital polishers will usually give you pretty good results, but they typically won't match the results you can produce with a G-100 dual action polisher.

This is for a host of different reasons,

First, the working surface of the pad is smaller, this enables the pad/chemical do do more work versus a large surface like a traditional orbital polisher.

Second, traditional Orbital Buffers oscillate at lower OPM's, versus the G-100 dual action polisher, this reduces the ability to remove defects, (do work).

There are numerous other reasons the older, slower larger orbital buffers are not as effective as the G-100 dual action polisher and a quick search using the search button at the top of most pages and few key search words should bring up even more information on this subject.

For what it's worth, I have never met a single person that regretted purchasing the G-100 dual action polisher, (PC). We're offering a special for two more days to forum members, you can read more about it here on the home page, or here,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=2544

The young man shown detailing this Ferrari was using a small, orbital polisher like you find for $10.00 to $20.00 and as you can see by the before pictures, it wasn't giving the owner the results he was looking for.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thanks a lot, i was just wondering if the meguiars professional products were safe to use on old buffers because the G-100 looks so much more faster and much less vibration and violent movements from the pad rotating.. if i were to just wax my car with my buffer, my arms would be soar for 2 days .... but then again... i didnt know better about what to use with what before... i probably used the wrong pad and wrong amount of product

the G-100 is very nice indeed, but at a price of $225.... its not really a number i can take out of my piggy bank haha.... im just a first yr college student w/o a job

Comment

It's only $149.99 for two more days...

But even that's a lot of money when you're paying for school. So maybe down the road...

Just to be clear, when you say you're old buffer, you mean an Orbital Buffer, not a Rotary Buffer? Right?

Mike

Porter Cable Promotion for Meguiar's Online Members!

ONLY 2 More Days to Order!

Meguiar’s G-100a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher Kit for $149.99!

Members Save $75.96!

DA Polisher Kit Includes:
          * Meguiar's Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher - G-100
          * Velcro Backing Plate - W-64DA
          * Foam Polishing Pad - W-8006
          * Lifetime Warranty!
          * FREE SHIPPING* when you add an additional $50 in product to your order!
          (*Continental US and Canada Only)

Details:
          For the month of September, Forum Members of Meguiar's Online can call our Customer Care Hotline and purchase the Meguiar's DA Polisher for $149.99!
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

mine is one of those like $30 ones you see and like autozone or something

Comment

mine is one of those like $30 ones you see and like autozone or something
              All of Meguiar's Consumer Line of products can be applied with this type of buffer/polisher except for ScratchX. It is recommended for hand application only.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i found that out a little too late... but my swirls dont look that bad

Comment

they really should put a label on the scratch x tube saying big and bold "DO NOT USE WITH BUFFER!!"

Comment

they really should put a label on the scratch x tube saying big and bold "DO NOT USE WITH BUFFER!!"
                    How about posting this in the New Product Suggestions forum.

I know people at Meguiar's read that forum.

Mike
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, this is a great thread... but not so much for what you did for Mike, or what got done with the paint, because that kind of stuff gets done every day with paint.

It's for what you did for Martin. I can guarantee you that he took that skill and showed it to his friends. I can guarantee you that it lit a fire in him for his work. You can see the pride in his face and in his stance, in this picture:

What you get from doing this is better than money. Money comes and goes, and gets spent on trifles. The feeling you get from helping and teaching others becomes part of who you are.

Tom
                      As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the kind words. You are right in that Martin was a pretty happy camper that day. When we started I asked him to bring me the products he was using for his detailing business, I won't list them but they were archaic to say the least.

The entire time he has been detailing cars he thought he was doing his best work, but after a quick side-by-side demonstration he could see there is more potential to his efforts by simply using a couple of different products than what he had been using.

He is a fast learner and as I watched him work I could see him smiling while looking at his results. I knew this was going to be a good day for him and the owner of the Ferrari.

Last I heard he had raised his prices to double what he was charging and through word-of-mouth-advertising, he is now working on more high-end cars with the trust and confidence of the owners.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Thank you for sharing us your magic again and ya, result is amazing

When you looked at before pictures, to me its impossible to fix paint defect, heavy swirls, but with Mike's experience and knowledge made this extreme makeover possible.
                          I am looking before and after pictures over and over, man...this Ferrari's paint looks outstanding

What you get from doing this is better than money. Money comes and goes, and gets spent on trifles. The feeling you get from helping and teaching others becomes part of who you are.
                          Tom, that's right on money
                          03 MINI BRG/BLK CVT - SOLD | 08 Black WRX - FAST!

Comment

Mike, thanks for the effort of posting up those close-ups. I have a question over here. By referring to those photos, I found out that this Ferrari actually has thousands or millions of tiny pores/holes on the paint surface. This is especially noticeable on solid paint compared to metallic paint, as these pores tend to distort the perfect optical reflectivity of the paintwork. My car has similar problem especially on horizontal surfaces and by using PC+83/80, it won't work at all to remove'em. I wonder whether in this case, are you able to remove all of them? If no, could rotary with Diamond Cut perform the job? Thanks!

zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Originally posted by zey
                              Mike, thanks for the effort of posting up those close-ups. I have a question over here. By referring to those photos, I found out that this Ferrari actually has thousands or millions of tiny pores/holes on the paint surface.

I wonder whether in this case, are you able to remove all of them? If no, could rotary with Diamond Cut perform the job? Thanks!
                              Not really. The problem is the holes are in the paint, or through the paint, in the matrix of the paint, as such, in order to remove them you would have to continue to remove more paint and if they continue to the primer, it would be all for nothing.

Sometimes you are better off to improve the defects, if you cannot completely remove the defect. For this car, we removed the swirls, improved the finish and left what couldn't be safely fixed alone.
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, what are the common causes of these tiny holes? I notice most cars on the road suffer with this problem. It's not a big deal if this defect can't be removed since it's not visible from a distance of 1 meter away.
                                zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');