Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Hi Tom,

Thank you for the kind words. You are right in that Martin was a pretty happy camper that day. When we started I asked him to bring me the products he was using for his detailing business, I won't list them but they were archaic to say the least.

The entire time he has been detailing cars he thought he was doing his best work, but after a quick side-by-side demonstration he could see there is more potential to his efforts by simply using a couple of different products than what he had been using.

He is a fast learner and as I watched him work I could see him smiling while looking at his results. I knew this was going to be a good day for him and the owner of the Ferrari.

Last I heard he had raised his prices to double what he was charging and through word-of-mouth-advertising, he is now working on more high-end cars with the trust and confidence of the owners.

Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Mike,

Thank you for sharing us your magic again and ya, result is amazing

When you looked at before pictures, to me its impossible to fix paint defect, heavy swirls, but with Mike's experience and knowledge made this extreme makeover possible.
    I am looking before and after pictures over and over, man...this Ferrari's paint looks outstanding

What you get from doing this is better than money. Money comes and goes, and gets spent on trifles. The feeling you get from helping and teaching others becomes part of who you are.
    Tom, that's right on money
    03 MINI BRG/BLK CVT - SOLD | 08 Black WRX - FAST!

Mike, thanks for the effort of posting up those close-ups. I have a question over here. By referring to those photos, I found out that this Ferrari actually has thousands or millions of tiny pores/holes on the paint surface. This is especially noticeable on solid paint compared to metallic paint, as these pores tend to distort the perfect optical reflectivity of the paintwork. My car has similar problem especially on horizontal surfaces and by using PC+83/80, it won't work at all to remove'em. I wonder whether in this case, are you able to remove all of them? If no, could rotary with Diamond Cut perform the job? Thanks!

Originally posted by zey
    Mike, thanks for the effort of posting up those close-ups. I have a question over here. By referring to those photos, I found out that this Ferrari actually has thousands or millions of tiny pores/holes on the paint surface.

I wonder whether in this case, are you able to remove all of them? If no, could rotary with Diamond Cut perform the job? Thanks!
    Not really. The problem is the holes are in the paint, or through the paint, in the matrix of the paint, as such, in order to remove them you would have to continue to remove more paint and if they continue to the primer, it would be all for nothing.

Sometimes you are better off to improve the defects, if you cannot completely remove the defect. For this car, we removed the swirls, improved the finish and left what couldn't be safely fixed alone.
    Mike Phillips

Mike, what are the common causes of these tiny holes? I notice most cars on the road suffer with this problem. It's not a big deal if this defect can't be removed since it's not visible from a distance of 1 meter away.

Registered Member
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    The deep, rich wet-look...

Mike
    *bump* for an awesome makover as these pictures speak for themselves!

Mike, I like that saying, "Each One, teach one". I don't think I have ever heard that before and wish I had!
    Rangerpowersports.com
    Ranger72

Originally posted by Ranger72
    Mike, I like that saying, "Each One, teach one". I don't think I have ever heard that before and wish I had!
    I got from a member for the original www.showcargarage.com forum, I can't remember their forum name, maybe Tim can? He used it in his signature line. After reading in numerous times, it stuck in my mind and plain and simple... made good sense, especially when it comes to the detailing cars in general and the art of polishing paint as a little techniques goes a long ways...

But after reading
    Mike Phillips

So true about technique. Another saying I use all the time is:
    "A tool is only as smart as the person using it"
    The saying isn't intended to be negative of people, but instead its more describing the need for proper technique and such.
    Rangerpowersports.com
    Ranger72

Where have I been... old post but I missed it!?!? Great post, very nice work and great information!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information