• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloudy spots on hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy spots on hood

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]I need help in removing what appear to be cloudy spots that appeared on the hood of my dark metallic blue '03 Acura TL. There are a lot of spots and they overlap each other and cover the whole center section of the hood. At first I thought it was acid rain but no other part of the car is effected A local detailer said the spots could be removed but his schedule was full until next month. There are also lots of fine swirl marks on the hood. I happened to have some Klasse cleaner on hand but it did absolutely no good at removing spots or scratches. Some of you have indicated that I have beginning clear coat damage-- so I need to identify that is the problem and price out painting the front end if thats the only answer. Please take a look at the pix and let me know what you think. Double clicking on the thumbnails will bring up the full size pix.

Thanks
    Last edited by KTodack; Nov 26, 2008, 12:11 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Re: Cloudy spots on hood

A photo likely would be best.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Welcome to Meguiars Online!

Here is a link that helped me how to post pictures in a post.
      http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...=post+pictures
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by KTodack View Post
        I need help in removing what appear to be cloudy spots that appeared on the hood of my dark metallic blue '03 Acura TL.
        Sounds like clear coat failure.

He have a forum group called Hot Topics and in it are 4 pages with 30 threads to a page of the most common or "Hot Topics" that confront do-it-yourselfers.

There's also great reference threads like the one linked below, click on the link and look at the pictures and see if any of the pictures look like the spots on your hood.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

If the problem is clear coat failure then the only honest fix it to repaint the car or the affected area.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It certainly sounds like the first stages of clearcoat failure.
          Kind of looks like plastic wrap that isn't stuck down everywhere.

You might wan to do some checking and see if there is any possibility that Acura might give you some help.
          Companies will sometimes have a "hidden" warranty program. If you just fix things on your own, they will let you. If you find a hidden warranty, they might offer some financial assistance. I had a Chevy that GM painted an area under their hidden warranty. The vehicle had to be under 5 years okl and have less than 50,000 miles on it.
          Chrysler Corp. also had some assistance available it you asked the right people.

If it is only the hood, maybe it has been repainted at some time.
          While repainting the hood won't be cheap, it will be a lot cheaper than having to do the entire car.
          Charles
          The Rainmaker

Comment

Clicking on your pics, I would have to agree. It looks like the beginning of clear coat failure.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

As much as I hate to say it I'd have to agree with whats been said, looks like the start of clear coat failure. Only true fix is respray unfortunately.
              The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
              Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');