• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a cleaner before going to your LSP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use a cleaner before going to your LSP?

So I've seen this a lot on a few of those other forums, where the detailer wipes the whole car down with some sort of cleaner, like an IPA solution, prior to going to their LSP.

I'm just courious how many of you do this, and if so, why?

Just to clarify, this is after doing a paint correction, not just to remove an old wax. So it would be like M105, M80, IPA, LSP.

Thanks,
    Rasky
    Yes
    48.04%
    No
    51.96%
    Last edited by RaskyR1; Nov 26, 2008, 01:52 PM.
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Re: Do you use a cleaner before going to your LSP?

I believe the idea of doing an IPA wipedown is to make sure that nothing is left on the surface - glaze, product remnants, etc.

Some claim that certain products 'fill,' so the surface must be wiped with IPA to remove anything that would potentially hide paint defects.

Others claim that the protectant bonds better if the surface is perfectly clean.

Honestly, I don't use an IPA solution on the family cars or when I detail. I used it once just to make sure that a product was not hiding anything, but that's about it.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
      I believe the idea of doing an IPA wipedown is to make sure that nothing is left on the surface - glaze, product remnants, etc.

Some claim that certain products 'fill,' so the surface must be wiped with IPA to remove anything that would potentially hide paint defects.

Others claim that the protectant bonds better if the surface is perfectly clean.

Honestly, I don't use an IPA solution on the family cars or when I detail. I used it once just to make sure that a product was not hiding anything, but that's about it.

I will do it on my test spot just to ensure there is no marring and to make sure my process is meeting my expectations. Doing it to the whole car after just getting done with the final polishing step seems to be taking a step back, not forward...
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I probably would if I were detailing show cars, but currently I dont.
        AeroCleanse, LLC
        Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
        www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

No

Move from one step to the next step. Make sure I'm getting the results I expect from the test spot at the very beginning and once the test post proves itself then it's time to move forward with the buff-out.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

No, it would remove your polishing oils, unless you were to add a pure polish back after the IPA.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              No, it would remove your polishing oils, unless you were to add a pure polish back after the IPA.
              Agreed. You would have to re-do the whole car.

Comment

Good, it looks unanimous so far...I though maybe I was missing something.
                Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Moved to Member's Polls

That way it will show up in the Poll section of the homepage.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

To me it would be starting over. Do not see the need for that.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

It does appear that a majority of folks over at AutoGeek and Autopia apply Prep-Sol or an IPA solution before applying their LSP. They believe that the durability and longevity of the LSP, especially if it is a synthetic sealant, requires as squeaky clean a surface as possible. See, e.g., this thread:

I see people doing this before the LSP. Is there any benefit to this? Is it filling like a glaze? Is a wipedown of a prep solvent good enough? I have

Does it really matter?

Al
                      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

Whoops... I clicked the wrong one. My actual answer is 'NO'... Sorry
                        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Nope..never have, never will. Unless I'm testing products, which I did with Ultimate Quik Wax.

Ryan
                          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

My answer would be no as well, do a small section with glass cleaner and check my work, but that's it. I've never had any problems with my LSP holding up because I put it on after a polish.

Comment

Nope. I wipe down my test spot after it's complete to check my work but that's it. I am no chemist but I trust the chemists at Meguiar's when they say that it's a system and designed to work together. I like the look that polishing oils add to paint. And at the end of the day I am just trying to make the paint look good
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');