• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a cleaner before going to your LSP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you use a cleaner before going to your LSP?

Yes and no. I generally clay and apply my sealant about 4 times a year. I generally like to clean or polish my paint twice a year (every six months or so). If the paint needs a little glossing, I will polish if not I will use a paint cleaner. So basically, so basically two times are year I am cleaning or polishing the paint and two times a year (between the paint polishing or cleaning) I am just adding fresh layer of sealant.

Comment

Originally posted by ivopivo View Post
      I think that's up for discussion... it's not like wax is pure carnauba wax applied to the finish... also, I have yet to have a bonding problem on any paint after an IPA wipedown, and so do many others...

I guess if I'm to believe the above statement, I want to know why it won't adhere on its own, and how do the oils help... do they mix with the wax to bond to the surface, do they bond to the surface and wax bonds to the oils?...

I'm only looking for the answers.

The above quote suggested that the polishing oils would only help...not that they were required. So obviously removing them with IPA is not going to cause any problems.

I would however like to think the chemists know more than me about their products and how they work. I'm sure the above quote only pertains to Megs products too.

I know IPA and other solvents dry the heck out of my hands, and I just don't like the idea using them on paint...even though they are needed for checking work.
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I have an old car with white spots on the hood. So if I understand the gist of this thread, I don't need IPA because there is no need as I already know the condition of the paint and I am trying protect it not fix it.

So, I am guessing I want the oils of a polish (or maybe a glaze) to help prevent the margins of my white spots from drying out and further chipping away and getting bigger.

In which case, I am thinking of starting with biggest spot,wiping it down with an IPA dampened q-tip to make sure the "white" is not dried polish and then doing the same thing with a "glaze" dampened q-tip to oil the chip and then an LSP.

If I let the LSP completely set up, I now have an LSP with extra oils since both the LSP and the glaze were allowed to set up before the final wipedown?

As a newbie, thanks for all the great posts. I appreciate it when the "big dogs" can share and agree to dissagree with mutual repect.
        Jeff
        Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
        by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
          I really didn't did get good at polishing until I started doing wipedowns.
          That statement by Todd means that left-over polish and oils can interfere with subsequent polishing steps. Given his experience, I value his opinions highly.

What I usually do in full jobs is to wash the car again before applying wax. That's my way of making sure that the surfaces are clean before any LSP is applied. As far as I know IPA can be very toxic, to what degree when mixed with water I don't know, and I prefer not to handle toxic substances.

Comment

Most of the time I just wash then wax-booster spray (weekly) or re-wax (monthly). Twice per year a do the full wash+clay+cleaner+polish/glaze+wax.

By cleaner here I mean a paint cleaner like DC1 or cleaner+polish like SwirlX, I dont ever use anything that would strip my polish/glaze except as part of the semi-annual detailing.

Normally you just want to wax a reasonably clean car. If you want to fully clean and prepare it, then the clay+paintCleaner is the route.
            2010 XRS

Comment

After paint correction.....Power Wash>>>Dawn Wash>>>IPA>>>Sealant.
              South Florida & Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Comment

Originally posted by Zeta Detail View Post
                That statement by Todd means that left-over polish and oils can interfere with subsequent polishing steps. Given his experience, I value his opinions highly.

What I usually do in full jobs is to wash the car again before applying wax. That's my way of making sure that the surfaces are clean before any LSP is applied. As far as I know IPA can be very toxic, to what degree when mixed with water I don't know, and I prefer not to handle toxic substances.
                IPA is only toxic if you drink it.....hospitals use it all the time.
                Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  No, it would remove your polishing oils, unless you were to add a pure polish back after the IPA.
                  Exactly!!!!!
                  Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

answer yes !

i really like DC1 to clean before a LSP

as i like other brand too : CL68 , top inspection , RMG , PPE , Rosa, IHG...

did you guy's wear glooves when aplly an LSP ?

Comment

Add Content

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');