• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final polishing step with a rotary or a DA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final polishing step with a rotary or a DA?

For those of you that use both rotary polishers and Dual Action polishers; do you finish off with the rotary or a DA. I've seen some claim that the rotary produces a better finish than a DA. They use the terms "Jeweling" or "Burnishing" the paint. Now this is assuming you can achive a swirl free finish with a rotary, and I think we can all agree that is easier done with a DA, but for the poll lets asume you can have swirl free with the rotary.

Now I've never done a side by side comparison between the two, so do you feel the rotary does indeed produce a better finish than the DA?

For the sake of the poll lets assume that the time/money factor is not an issue.

Thanks,
    Rasky
    Rotary Buffer
    16.11%
    Dual Action Polisher like Meguair's G110/G220, the PC or the UDM
    59.73%
    Looke the same to me, it's like comparing waxes. :)
    11.41%
    Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher
    4.03%
    The "Human Hand"
    8.72%
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Re: Final polishing step with a rotary or a DA?

I voted "it looks the same", as I've never actually compared them. I learned on a rotary and it was all I used for the first 14 years of my detailing career. I now like following up with a DA to ensure 100% swirl free results. Time is not an issue for me as I only detail for fun now, and want the best possible end result for my customers....which is part of the reason for the poll.

Rasky
    Last edited by RaskyR1; Nov 26, 2008, 02:10 PM.
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

The rotary has the ability to leave a very clear, high gloss finish whereas on some paint systems, using the same pad and product, (as used on the rotary), you'll see haze left by the DA Polisher which is actually a type of scratch or tick mark.

The rotary of course can leave very fine, hard to see holograms which can be easily masked with a coat of quality car wax or a paint sealant. The haze or tick marks left by a DA Polisher can be removed by further polishing or they can easily be masked with a coat of quality car wax or a paint sealant like holograms by a rotary can be masked.

Note these results are pre-SMAT technology. Haven't been able to polish enough cars with Super Micro Abrasive Technology to know for sure but this technology has so far looked like it can produce as good or better results finishing with a DA Polisher and the right foam finishing pad and technique as a rotary with out the haze or tick marks. Time will tell.

Always keep in mind that different paint types will react differently so what works on one paint system may not work on a different paint system. This is where it helps a detailer to have the knowledge, skill and experience to first do a test spot and insure your pad, product and process of choice will make a small area look good before going over the entire car.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Moved to Member's Polls

That way it will show up in the Poll section of the homepage.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have been using a DA as the last step.
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I only use a d/a. So the choice was easy for me.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Just tried once the DA but I guess I get used to RB...
              Last edited by irf@n; Nov 27, 2008, 04:12 AM.
              Skoda Roomster

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                For those of you that use both rotary polishers and Dual Action polishers; do you finish off with the rotary or a DA?
                I always finish off with a DA.
                That didn't used to be the case. The turning point (for me) came when Jason Rose recommended I try M83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish. Until then, I would never consider finessing a paint job I'd just spent upwards of 20 hours polishing with a rotary. Are you kidding? Do you know how many cars I had to rotary polish because someone had 'buffed' their car with a cleaner/wax or polish using an orbital? There would be so many curly-Q scour marks covering the paint... You could hang the hood on a wall and use it as one of those eyeball trickery posters!

Nope, until Jason Rose recommended I try it, I only used my random-orbital to apply M06 Cleaner/Wax, or M20 Polymer Sealant. With a skeptical outlook, I gave it a shot.

I'll be darned if that M83 didn't improve the finish on many of the paint jobs I'd buffed for hours on end. Back than, the random-orbital wasn't always able to improve the finish as compared to a rotary. Many times, the surface would end up with a micro marred surface (matching the machine movement of the random-orbital (or DA). But!- Many times, it really improved the clarity of the paint by removing (or smoothing the edges of) any remaining rotary marks. Thus began the quest to push the limits of that wiggly random-orbital machine. That lil' guy was used with many different brands and types of compounds, cleaners, polishes, and glazes. A variety of foam buffing pads (ranging in brand, diameter, and aggressiveness) were attached via various sizes of backing plates. If acceptable results were not realized, a return to the rotary resolved the issues, and a brutal hand-polishing session ensued.

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                I've seen some claim that the rotary produces a better finish than a DA... I've never done a side by side comparison between the two, so do you feel the rotary does indeed produce a better finish than the DA?
                I used to, but not anymore.
                Whenever a question of this type is posed to me, I make it incredibly simple to determine my preferred method or choice of product. A contest is envisioned. It is a contest that pits me in a head-to-head contest with the world's best detailer (yup- judges, hoopla, trophys, and trophy girls are in their, too! ).

If one of the parameters happens to be something like, "You only get to use one tool for final polishing... The rotary or the random-orbital!", I have to really consider which product is my favorite for the task at hand. Rotary versus random-orbital (DA)?

Today, it would hands-down be the DA.

M86, M105, and now M205 have really raised the bar for all types of machine application.
                Kevin Brown
                NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                  I used to, but not anymore.
                  Whenever a question of this type is posed to me, I make it incredibly simple to determine my preferred method or choice of product. A contest is envisioned. It is a contest that pits me in a head-to-head contest with the world's best detailer (yup- judges, hoopla, trophys, and trophy girls are in their, too! ).
                  I'd be glad take you up on this. Trouble is, I reside next to the Great Lakes and you're down there next to the Pacific. Not sure how that would work out, but I am sure we could find a way, one day.

(I imagine there won't be judges, trophies, or girls)
                  We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

M86, M105, and now M205 have really raised the bar for all types of machine application.
                    I couldn't agree more. Although I don't have M205 in my possession (yet), considering the accolades it has earned and who it has earned them from I don't expect less than amazing. M86 and M105 find their way into nearly every single detail I do. Love those products.

I must say though, I do find myself finishing with a rotary more often than I had envisioned before buying it. I can't wait to try M205 by rotary, FLEX 3401, and G110 side-by-side-by-side and see what I prefer in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden_Caulfield04 View Post
                      I'd be glad take you up on this. Trouble is, I reside next to the Great Lakes and you're down there next to the Pacific. Not sure how that would work out, but I am sure we could find a way, one day.

(I imagine there won't be judges, trophies, or girls)
                      This is the first and likely the last time I will type statements in an egg-you-on manner.
                      No offense meant (seriously)- Just couldn't contain myself...

"No, the vision clearly shows me pitted against the world's BEST detailer."

Besides- I doubt we could categorize any single person as the best at all aspects of the profession.
                      Kevin Brown

Comment

I hope you know I'm just kidding, Tyler- You have always been nice to me.
                        Kevin Brown

Comment

This is the first and likely the last time I will type statements in an egg-you-on manner.
                          No offense meant (seriously)- Just couldn't contain myself...

"No, the vision clearly shows me pitted against the world's BEST detailer."
                          Is that a call to action? I am ready for battle, sir!

No offense taken, of course.

I hope you know I'm just kidding, Tyler- You have always been nice to me.
                          Of course. I always enjoy intelligent discourse with you.
                          We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

My final step would be the Flex orbital with a finishing pad depending on what you're working on.
                            Recently I've done two new black GM vehicles, a Caddy Crossover and a Pontiac G6. They were both very trying for me to get that "as close to perfect" finish as possible. When I used the rotary, with 83 the problem wasn't micro-marring, but making it completely hologram free in the sunlight over the entire car. I then switched to the Flex with a polishing pad, had micro-marring, switched to a finishing pad with 82 and still got some. It wasn't until I had the pad primed really well or "broke in" so to speak that I could get the results I was looking for.

I'm really excited about giving 205 a try...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                              My final step would be the Flex orbital with a finishing pad depending on what you're working on.
                              OH! That type of machine-action DEFINITELY needs to be added to the poll...
                              Nice job bringing that option up.

Maybe they need to add hand application to the poll too?
                              Kevin Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');