• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final polishing step with a rotary or a DA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final polishing step with a rotary or a DA?

Flex XC can be operate at really low rpm (150-480), hence it leaves the surface cooler. This is definitely good for finishing. Easy.

If I am finishing it off with rotary, I'll even 'lift' up the machine, meaning applying less force than the machine wegiht itself. Requires more practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      The rotary has the ability to leave a very clear, high gloss finish whereas on some paint systems, using the same pad and product, (as used on the rotary), you'll see haze left by the DA Polisher which is actually a type of scratch or tick mark.

The rotary of course can leave very fine, hard to see holograms which can be easily masked with a coat of quality car wax or a paint sealant. The haze or tick marks left by a DA Polisher can be removed by further polishing or they can easily be masked with a coat of quality car wax or a paint sealant like holograms by a rotary can be masked.

Note these results are pre-SMAT technology. Haven't been able to polish enough cars with Super Micro Abrasive Technology to know for sure but this technology has so far looked like it can produce as good or better results finishing with a DA Polisher and the right foam finishing pad and technique as a rotary with out the haze or tick marks. Time will tell.

Always keep in mind that different paint types will react differently so what works on one paint system may not work on a different paint system. This is where it helps a detailer to have the knowledge, skill and experience to first do a test spot and insure your pad, product and process of choice will make a small area look good before going over the entire car.

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
      I always finish off with a DA.
      That didn't used to be the case. The turning point (for me) came when Jason Rose recommended I try M83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish. Until then, I would never consider finessing a paint job I'd just spent upwards of 20 hours polishing with a rotary. Are you kidding? Do you know how many cars I had to rotary polish because someone had 'buffed' their car with a cleaner/wax or polish using an orbital? There would be so many curly-Q scour marks covering the paint... You could hang the hood on a wall and use it as one of those eyeball trickery posters!

Nope, until Jason Rose recommended I try it, I only used my random-orbital to apply M06 Cleaner/Wax, or M20 Polymer Sealant. With a skeptical outlook, I gave it a shot.

I'll be darned if that M83 didn't improve the finish on many of the paint jobs I'd buffed for hours on end. Back than, the random-orbital wasn't always able to improve the finish as compared to a rotary. Many times, the surface would end up with a micro marred surface (matching the machine movement of the random-orbital (or DA). But!- Many times, it really improved the clarity of the paint by removing (or smoothing the edges of) any remaining rotary marks. Thus began the quest to push the limits of that wiggly random-orbital machine. That lil' guy was used with many different brands and types of compounds, cleaners, polishes, and glazes. A variety of foam buffing pads (ranging in brand, diameter, and aggressiveness) were attached via various sizes of backing plates. If acceptable results were not realized, a return to the rotary resolved the issues, and a brutal hand-polishing session ensued.

I used to, but not anymore.
      Whenever a question of this type is posed to me, I make it incredibly simple to determine my preferred method or choice of product. A contest is envisioned. It is a contest that pits me in a head-to-head contest with the world's best detailer (yup- judges, hoopla, trophys, and trophy girls are in their, too! ).

If one of the parameters happens to be something like, "You only get to use one tool for final polishing... The rotary or the random-orbital!", I have to really consider which product is my favorite for the task at hand. Rotary versus random-orbital (DA)?

Today, it would hands-down be the DA.

M86, M105, and now M205 have really raised the bar for all types of machine application.

Thanks Kevin/Mike! I was looking to get a few good responces from the veterans around here.
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
        My final step would be the Flex orbital with a finishing pad depending on what you're working on.
        Recently I've done two new black GM vehicles, a Caddy Crossover and a Pontiac G6. They were both very trying for me to get that "as close to perfect" finish as possible. When I used the rotary, with 83 the problem wasn't micro-marring, but making it completely hologram free in the sunlight over the entire car. I then switched to the Flex with a polishing pad, had micro-marring, switched to a finishing pad with 82 and still got some. It wasn't until I had the pad primed really well or "broke in" so to speak that I could get the results I was looking for.

I'm really excited about giving 205 a try...
        I though about adding one for the FLEX, but it is still considered a DA isn't it?
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
          I though about adding one for the FLEX, but it is still considered a DA isn't it?
          Hard to say- it's half DA, half rotary. (It has random orbiatal movement plus, depending on your speed setting, up to 480 RPMS of forced rotation).

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
            I would say it could be considered a DA on steroids!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
              I would say it could be considered a DA on steroids!
              Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
              Hard to say- it's half DA, half rotary. (It has random orbiatal movement plus, depending on your speed setting, up to 480 RPMS of forced rotation).
              Ummm... I gonna go on a limb here and categorize it as a roDAry.

Know what I'm sayin' there? See if you follow what I'm throwing down now...

It's like a combo-name and stuff... (Help me out here, Stoops- You're a good explainer-guy)...
              Kevin Brown
              NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

It's like a combo-name and stuff... (Help me out here, Stoops- You're a good explainer-guy)...
                RoDAry!!!

Comment

Just kidding. I see where you are going with this Kevin....I like it

Comment

Today, it would hands-down be the DA.

M86, M105, and now M205 have really raised the bar for all types of machine application.
                    I would agree with the DA now that we have products based on our new SMA Technology but before these products came out it would depend upon the paint itself and how it reacted to the oscillating action of a DA Polisher.

OH! That type of machine-action DEFINITELY needs to be added to the poll...
                    Nice job bringing that option up.

Maybe they need to add hand application to the poll too?
                    Will add the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher

And the human hand...

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Poll has been updated.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                        Poll has been updated.
                        Can I change my answer now?

J/K
                        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

its not only the machine but also the product, combinations of those will get a good result, but when you search for showroomfinish, rotary will go faster to take out defects, but a D/A with M105 can do the same, only more time needed, finishing can be done with a D/A or Rotary depending on type of paint, polish, tools and your on experience

in my experience finishing with a D/A and M80 is awesomes, but i'm waiting on some M205 and maybe this will be my new alltime favorite !
                          Shining regards
                          Sven
                          Meguiar's Exclusive importer for Belgium
                          http://www.meguiars.be

Comment

Originally posted by Sven View Post
                            its not only the machine but also the product, combinations of those will get a good result, but when you search for showroomfinish, rotary will go faster to take out defects, but a D/A with M105 can do the same, only more time needed, finishing can be done with a D/A or Rotary depending on type of paint, polish, tools and your on experience

in my experience finishing with a D/A and M80 is awesomes, but i'm waiting on some M205 and maybe this will be my new alltime favorite !
                            Mine just got dropped of at my home 10 minutes ago....I need to leave work now!
                            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Rasky you lucky b... , send us your results and experience asap, i'm curious
                              Shining regards
                              Sven
                              Meguiar's Exclusive importer for Belgium
                              http://www.meguiars.be

Comment

Rotary for me.

My DA died on my last year and I still can't find a suitable replacement...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');