• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acryllac Enamal paint with no clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acryllac Enamal paint with no clear

Hey guys i just became a member of this site. I have a couple of questions regarding wet sanding acryllac enamal paint with no clear. I just sprayed my whole car and she looks decent. I can deffinetly see some orange peel. The reason i choose not to clear the car is because the first attempt spraying the clear completely separated (it look like tiny little pin holes in the clear as soon as it laid down) so i had to totally re-sand the car down and paint all over again. I was able to get 3 coats of Duponts Centari pitch black 99a Acryllac Enamal but ran out of time to be able to clear again (im in the military and painted the car out of state and got recalled back to base)

My questions i guess what Materials should i use for my cut and buff? (sand paper, compound, polish, protectant, polishing and compound pads, etc) i would like to know everything that i will possibly need. i tried looking for stuff on the Meguiar's direct site to start buying but i get confused on everything i should be using. I wish they just had a kit with everything you could possibly need in it.

Also is there any difference when wet sanding and buffing when there is no clear and what kind of steps should i take in the process if any different.

should i go further with extra uv protectants since there is no clear coat

Sorry for the long post guys i just want to get started on this ASAP! the car has been painted now for about a month and a half

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Acryllac Enamal paint with no clear

Get this,

Nikken #1500
    Nikken #2000
    M105 either get a couple of quarts or a gallon, you won't need a gallon but you'll want more than a quart
    M205 Ultra Finishing Polish which is brand new and should be available next week
    W-4000 Wool Buffing Pad for cutting

If you hang tight Ill make the above all clickable...

Are you hand sanding everything? Or using a DA Sander for the flat panels?

No difference in how you treat the paint when it come to sanding and buffing just be aware that usually single stage black paint is the softest paint there is and you don't want to remove too much or you'll expose the primer. Avoid buffing on any high points like body lines.

What did you paint?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Another option is our Solo System which uses just one chemical for both the compounding and polishing steps.

With this system you would need,

Wool cutting pad
      Foam polishing pad or finishing pad
      M86 Cut & Polish Creme

Plus your sandpapers.

Both approaches will work great, just depends upon which way you want to approach it.

Solo System

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

We also make a very nice double sided wool pad called the W-5000 but you have to get an adapter to use it with your rotary buffer and we don't sell the Adaptor but you can get one at just about any PBE store.

Check this thread,

W5000 Dual Sided Wool Pad with Adapter to attach to the Rotary Buffer

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I repainted a 97 chevy camaro. I really thank you for all the info.

I want to da sand but I dont own a air compressor so hand sanding will have to make due. as far as sand paper is concerned Meguiers Nikken paper looks good but how many sheets come in the packages and how many would i need to do the whole car. I was going to start with 1200 grit to 1500 then 2000 but what do you think.
          Also does Meguiers sell the ruber backing for the sand paper like a kit from soft rubber to firm rubber.

So from what you told me i should start off with the M105 to the M205 now what about protecting the paint after the polish since there is no clear coat

To be honest i was not looking to spend close to $300 to do this job so How much of these products do I really need to complete my whole car. I will spend the money if i have to It will just take me a little longer to get it

Thanks again,
          Mike

Comment

as far as the pads are concerned i saw that you put a polishing pad or a finishing pad which do you recommend to use with the m205 also when it comes to the protectent on the car for the las step which pad should i use for that as well.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 03ac View Post
              I want to da sand but I dont own a air compressor so hand sanding will have to make due. as far as sand paper is concerned Meguiers Nikken paper looks good but how many sheets come in the packages and how many would i need to do the whole car. I was going to start with 1200 grit to 1500 then 2000 but what do you think.
              25 sheets of paper per sleeve.

Nikken Finishing Papers are not like automotive wet/dry papers, they have Uniform Grit Particle Size and 100% coverage over the entire sheet of paper, it's for this reason these papers cut faster than normal wet/dry sanding papers while leaving an uniform sanding mark pattern that will buff out faster while leaving more paint on the car.

Because Nikken will cut faster you can usually move up one grit range than you normally use when contrasted against normal wet/dry papers, so for guys that usually start with #1200 grit paper, with Nikken you can start with #1500 and work just as fast while working smarter.

Also does Meguiar's sell the ruber backing for the sand paper like a kit from soft rubber to firm rubber.
              Yes. Link to online store

E-7200 5 1/2" Sanding Backing Pad

So from what you told me i should start off with the M105 to the M205 now what about protecting the paint after the polish since there is no clear coat
              After at least 30 days you can apply a coat of wax or a paint sealant. Until then no paint manufacture recommends sealing their paint system. After the 30 days any Meguiar's wax or paint sealant is a good choice, lot's of people like M26 for single stage paints and it's been around for about 25+ years so it has a very successful history behind it.

To be honest i was not looking to spend close to $300 to do this job so How much of these products do I really need to complete my whole car. I will spend the money if i have to It will just take me a little longer to get it
              Minimum would be sandpaper, compound, wool pad, finishing polish and foam pad.

as far as the pads are concerned i saw that you put a polishing pad or a finishing pad which do you recommend to use with the m205 also when it comes to the protectent on the car for the las step which pad should i use for that as well.
              Which pad depends upon how great a finish you turn out using the M105 with a wool pad. In the hands of a seasoned professional you can take a finish to about 90% and higher with just M105 and a wool pad. If this is a case you can use a foam finishing pad with M205 to take it to 99.9%

If you've never sanded and buffed a car to a true show car finish then you might need to use a more aggressive pad with the M205 because you don't leave as nice a finish with the M105 due to lack of experience.

One thing we can't put in a bottle at this time is skill and experience, thus the fuzzy answer on which pad for your final rotary buffer polishing step.

M205 is brand new, it's only starting to ship this week. I've only used it a few times but so far it's very impressive and I wouldn't drive from my house to a customer's house to work on their car without it. (That's a strong testimony just to note).

Besides the rotary buffer steps, historically if you want a 100% swirl free finish when the paint is viewed in the brightest sunlight by the most critical eyes then you would want to use a DA Polisher to re-polish the paint after the finishing step with the rotary buffer. I carefully used the word historically because our new SMA Technology has been producing near perfect results with only the rotary buffer, but again this is highly dependent upon skill and experience.

Hope the above helps...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

so as far as the rubbing compound and polish is concerned how much product do you think i need. would a 32oz bottle of both be enough to complete my camaro or 2 of each

Thanks

Comment

You might be able to get by with one quart of each, depends upon how good and stingy you can be with the compound and how hard or easy the sanding marks are coming out. You could try and always pick up another quart if you run out.

Single stage paint usually buffs pretty easy and our M105 has a long buffing cycle, you would just want to really focus on the task at hand. Half way around the car you should have a pretty good idea how much product you're going through and make a judgment call as to whether you will need more or not.

You can easily get buy with just one quart of polish.

Also, be sure to get a Spur to clean your wool pad, it's VITALLY important to work clean and this means cleaning your pad often.

Have you watched these yet?

5 Video segments on wet-sanding and using a rotary buffer

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

just saw them yesterday for the first time. lots of good info in those videos

Thanks again for all your help,
                    Mike

Comment

where can i get a spur from?

Comment

PBE store should have them, (same place you would buy a wool pad), so would any detailing supply store either brick & mortar or online vendor.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');