• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle Wax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Wax question

I am currently using the Meguiar's motorcycle wax (and love it) but it is not available around here. I was therefore thinking of using the NXT 2.0 wax that I can find easily.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't be using the NXT 2.0 on a motorcycle?

I am interested in protecting the metal gas tank and the plastic
    side fairings and fenders.

Secondly, I was getting on the bike the other day and 'scuffed' the clear coat on the gas tank (right in front of the seat) and lookin for a product that can fix that. I think the rubber from my shoes 'marred' the tank.

thanks!

-JD

Re: Motorcycle Wax question

Nxt 2.0 would be fine. I assume you are reffering to painted metal and painted plastic parts?

As far as scratch removal, you might want to wait till spring when the newest version of ScratchX comes out, but you can use the current version also. Here are some swirl/scratch removal links: (I'll include some other general links as well)

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    Step 1 Wash
    Step 2 Clean
    Step 3 Polish
    Step 4 Protect
    Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

yup. Painted metal tank and side plastic cowlings.
      My bike is all black and as such shows anything and everything.
      Dust is my #1 issue.

My bike has never seen a drop of water. Not for washing or riding in the rain..nothing. I plan on keeping it that way. If my father in law can do that with his 2001 Mustang GT (still!!) then I can try.

I clean the wheels and body after each ride but usually only use the quick detailer on the gas tank/side cowls to lightly remove the accumulated dust that builds up after riding.

NXT 2.0 seemed like a nice product and the price was right

-JD

Comment

You might like to look into the Ultimate Quick Detailer if you have just been using the regular.... real good stuff, esp with the Nxt 2.0. And if you use a lot of QD, esp when riding often, you could even look into some of the bulk products to maybe save a few bucks.

What have you been cleaning the wheels/body with?

Comment

I will check out UQD, if its available locally.

As far as cleaning the rims, I usually use something like windex with
          vinegar..nothing caustic. Just to remove the brake dust and road dirt.

Windex with Vinegar seems appropriate enough to use anywhere on the bike actually and since it doesn't have ammonia, its safe on the windshield as well.

-JD

Comment

Here's another product you might like,

G14616 Quik Wheel Detailer Mist & Wipe

Meguiar’s® Quik Wheel Detailer® is the fastest way to quickly clean and shine your wheels without soap and water! Removes light brake dust and other road contaminants before they have a chance to cling to your wheel surface. This safe, high lubricity formula lifts off dirt and grime without scratching and build-up. And unlike traditional wheel cleaners, Quik Wheel Detailer is a waterless cleaner that eliminates the hassle of dragging out the water hose in between washes.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yeah, the quick detailer type sprays (QD, UQD, etc, etc,) are speacial not because of the cleaning ability, but because of the lubrication they provide so the dirt doesnt create swirls/scratches as it is being removed.

So the Windex will definatley clean, but may not have the same lubricating ability.

Comment

NXT 2.0 will work just fine on your motorcycle. I have a black bike also and I use Megs #21 sealant (basically the same as NXT) and it works great. I also use M135 Detail Spray to clean/wash the bike.
                2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
                2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000
                2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark

############################
                R-KIVE Studios :: Bringing Visions to Life

Comment

I picked up the stuff today but the quick wheel detailer.
                  Wally world didnt carry that. But I got the UQD and the NXT 2.0
                  stuff...so I am getting there

-JD

Comment

You can check the link on the right side of the main page for PBE stores in your town, they may carry or be able to order whatever you need (call before you go). A lot of us use autodetailingsolutions.com for Meguiars products.

Comment

I ordered QWD online direct from Meguiars, along with a few
                      accessories.

Works for me and the price was great, even with shipping.

-JD

Comment

What are the best kind of rags,wax, soap for washing a motorcycle?

Comment

Anything from Meguiars is pretty good. Though you might want some cheaper terry towels for in the greasy areas.

You could use products from the Motorcycle or car line for soap and wax.

Comment

Re: How to Wash and Wax a Motorcycle

Originally posted by Jeptha Jaiden
                            Simple Motorcycle Wash & Wax Tips
                            Supplies Needed:
                            A quality car wash (we like Turtle Wax Ice) & Bucket
                            Bug and tar remover
                            WD40
                            Gloves (personal preference)
                            Engine cleaner and/or Degreaser (Use only on non-paint and non-chrome surfaces)
                            Small brush (we use a toothbrush)
                            Soft wheel cleaning brush
                            Wheel Cleaner (Be sure the wheel cleaner is formulated for your rims)
                            Wheel Polish (Be sure the polish is formulated for your rims)
                            Microfiber covered sponges or micro fiber wash mitt
                            soft terry towels or microfiber towels
                            Chamois or synthetic chamois for drying
                            Be sure to clean, wash and polish your bike in a spot that is in the shade.
                            Fill bucket with warm water and the car wash of your choice.
                            Before you start washing clean bugs and tar off your motorcycle. Use a different sponge or cloth than the one you use for washing. It is reccomended to use a bug & tar cleaner. Some people use WD40 to remove bugs & tar. Most of this type of debris will be on the undercarriage of your motorcycle. Be sure your pipes have cooled prior to starting.
                            If your ride has matte finish pipes you can use a degreaser to clean them. Be careful not to get the degreaser on the paint finish or chrome items.
                            Use the toothbrush to reach any areas that are too small to get your hands into. This will help you get any debris in small confined areas. This is how the pros get every nook and cranny clean during professional detailings.
                            Spray your rims with the wheel cleaner let sit for a minute or two. Then use your wheel brush to clean the brake dust off. Make sure the wheel cleaner is formulated for your specific type of rims.
                            DO NOT use any type of tire dressing as it will case issues with the tires.
                            Pre wet your motorcycle before washing. Wash your motorcycle with a microfiber sponge or microfiber wash mitt. Rinse your sponge or mitt often as any dirt or debris on the sponge or mitt can cause scratches/damage to your paint.
                            Rinse the soap off your motorcycle with clean water.
                            Use your chamois to dry your motorcycle. This will help eliminate water spots. A chamois will not scratch or damage your paint.
                            Polish your motorcycle using a clean soft terry or microfiber towel. Spray the polish on the towel then gently apply the polish to your motorcycle. Follow manufacturers directions as some polishes are not applicable to all surfaces.
                            Polish your rims using a clean soft terry or microfiber towel. Spray the polish on the towel then apply to your rims.
                            Enjoy your ride.
                            Why would you use WD40 to remove bugs and tar?
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Re: How to Wash and Wax a Motorcycle

wd-40 works real good for getting bugs/tar off your bike .i also use it on front of my truck too.
                              been doing it for 30 years and it works better than bug/tar remover .

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');