• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for new user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for new user

I have been tasked with buying car care items for my father in law for Christmas, who is an avid car washer, but an armor all/turtle wax user. I am a firm believer in the 5 step paint care cycle and am a full Meguiar's user, and hope to convert him as well. Currently, I know he would not be interested in all the steps, but hopefully that will change...

My dilemma is with what to get him with a $50 limit. Here is what I have so far.
    1 wash bucket (2 is ideal I know)
    2 lambs wool wash mitts
    Deep Crystal Car wash
    Wax

Unfortunately, that would pretty much use up my spending limit. My question is, what do you recommend as a wax? His cars are newer and always hand washed, but probably not under ideal conditions. Should I go with NXT 2.0 or ColourX? Does this sound like a good list, or would you recommend a different approach here?

Thanks!

Jamie

Re: Recommendations for new user

Well, does he have other cleaning products? Nxt should go on a prepped surface, but you could use a TW cleaner for that.
    Last edited by Murr1525; Dec 6, 2008, 02:24 PM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I bet, Jamie, your father has a bucket or two that he can use. You only need to get him what he won't buy himself.

How much is NXT and ColorX selling for now in Canada? Are they readily available locally? I read a few weeks ago that NXT was selling for close to $30 (Canadian dollars). Is that right? It seemed excessively high and unlikely. I know you can get M21 for $24 at eShine. Would that save you money?

Instead of two lambswool wash mitts, how about one washmitt and a grout sponge?

cheers,
      Al
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

I'm sure he has buckets too, but my wife wants to use it as an easy way to wrap everything...maybe I'll get her to pick that up and exclude it from the price...
        I've always liked the lambs wool mitts myself, never used a sponge, but hearing a lot about them lately. May have to check them out, thanks!!!

The NXT is very expensive up here, you're right, about $25-$30. ColourX is about $10-$12, depending on the store. I have a guy running his own business doing detailing and selling Meguiar's products. I prefer to buy through him as his prices are usually a few $$ cheaper. I'd like to get him the 3 Deep Crystal products, but not sure he'd use them at first. I agree about prepping the surface before waxing... Hmm, wondering if the cleaner wax be a good idea for this?

Comment

Lots of people use a cleaner/wax followed by wax.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What about a Grit Guard to go with that new bucket?

Mike
            Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

By any chance are the Meguiars gift packs sold in Canada? That would be a great value if you could get him one. It may leave you with extra money for other items.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Grit guards? I'm saving up to get those for myself, hoping for a local distributor as shipping on these larger items is getting pricey....

I've looked everywhere for the gift packs as I thought it would be perfect, but no luck. I should contact Meguiar's Canada, but they are still displaying last years gift packs on their site...
                Makes me wonder when the 2009 products will actually make it over the border, I really want some of those....

Comment

Never fails, ask a question and the answer falls in your lap.
                  Turns out my guy carries the "Essentials Car Care Kit" for $30.
                  Not the one you guys have this year, but looks like the one I will be getting. It has:
                  Quik Detailer Spray - 16 oz
                  Cleaner Wax - 16 oz
                  Soft Wash Gel Soap - 16 oz
                  Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner - 24 oz
                  Hot Shine Tire Gel 16 oz
                  1 High Tech Foam Applicator
                  1 Premium Yellow Wash Sponge (didn't realize Meguiar's had these)
                  With the extra $$ left, I may get him some Supreme Shine MF towels to go with it.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Jamie

Comment

Sounds great, Jamie. I'm sure your father-in-law will love the gift pack. Merry Christmas.
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Glad you found the gift pack. Now you have to get him to throw out that other stuff.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. As for that other stuff, already talked with my mother in law, and she is all ready to pitch it!

Jamie

Comment

Good show.

NXT 2.0 is a good choice for wax, great stuff.
                          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');