• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A needed comparative review: M205, SwirlX, and ScratchX 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A needed comparative review: M205, SwirlX, and ScratchX 2.0

Sometime in the near future, M205 will be released, followed by SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0. I believe there is a real need for a comparative review of these three products.

I am simply an amateur and amateurish enthusiast who is learning the G110. The only two cars I will probably ever detail are the two cars we own--a 2007 black S2000 and a 2003 Ford Taurus. Both are daily drivers. I do not expect to do a lot of machine work on the Taurus, but the S2000 I want to try to keep in good condition. The paint is swirled in places with a few RIDS, but the car looks great from five feet away.

I have M80 and M83, but given the new micro-abrasive technology that is being introduced with the new line, I'm willing to switch to the new stuff (and presumably sell the M80 and M83, unless there remains a need to keep them).

So which products should I buy? I don't see a need to invest in M105. I have a sample of the original formula which I use for spot hand application, but I don't imagine I'll need the new 105 formula for the G110. If I ever should, I'll always be able to run down to the local store and pick up Ultimate Compound. But what about SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, and M205? Which of these should I get? Would M205 be sufficient and/or superior to the others? Would SwirlX, perhaps supplemented by ScratchX 2.0, be better for a beginner like myself?

I realize that only a couple of people at the present have the experience with these products to make any recommendations; but I thought I would register my questions now. After these products are released, I would like to ask our detailing pros to please compare and review them and to publish their findings here on MOL.

Thanks.

Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: A needed comparative review: M205, SwirlX, and ScratchX 2.0

And for anyone that does this kind of review please not that when comparing products you need to do your very best at keeping all other factors controlled as rigidly as possible.
    • All products need to be tested on the same panel. This means all products are tested on the same paint and when you inspect results you're looking at results from the same perspective. Avoid testing one product on a vertical panel and another product on a horizontal panel as this will change perspective and thus can and often times will change your comparison perspective.
    • Use the same tool.
    • Use the same type of pad
    • Use the same wiping cloth
    • Follow directions as stated by the manufacture
    • Insure the same lighting over all areas

There's probably factors I left out but these are some of the major factors you can control.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

mmm i would also be looking 4ward to this!
      i have the dilemma of either 'investing' in scratch x 2.0 or going with the existing m80 whilst working with a DA
      i dont think m205 will be coming out in Aust anytime soon as they still probably have a heap of stock of m80, so its a difficult one.
      Regards, Wilco
      There's No Shine Like Meguiar's

Comment

I am interested in this also, as I am going to be purchasing the new 105 for Da and then am torn between the 205, swirl x, or #82 as a finish polish, if it is even needed.
        2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
        2005 Honda CRF250R
        2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

I'm badly interested in this since i've my DA arrived yesterday (i'm new to DA world and willing to learn if time allows). I find myself quite comfortable using rotary for both SMAT and DAT, but i'm concerned about total clear coat removal by using rotary's multiple steps compared to DA's single/lesser step(s) to produce LSP ready finish. So Pros, please chime in...

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');