• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove paint on gelcoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove paint on gelcoat?

I have a boat in the water that has a painted name on the bow of a deep V. It is hard to get to as it is half hidden under the gunwale. It seems to be stenciled on. The paint can be scratched off, but there has to be a better way. I can't remove it with something that would drip in the water that is hazardous to the environment.
    Is there anybody out there that has the expertise in this? I won't be pulling it out of the water for at least a year, and I would like to remove it asap.
    Would some kind of polishing compound work? With a small hand held orbital type, as some of it is going to have to be removed by being upside down.

TIA

Re: How to remove paint on gelcoat?

I have read on boating sites that oven cleaner will remove the paint but not harm the gelcoat. (Try looking at boatered.com forums for some good info.)
    Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');