• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wetsanding marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wetsanding marks

I was wondering what i can do to take away some wetsanding marks in my paint. Most people have told me that i need a rotary. I do not have one but i do have a porter cable. Could you recommend some pads and products to try. i have allready tried a foam pad with #2 but the marks are still visible from certain angles. i was thinking of trying the diamond cut stuff. Any help or direction on what products i should try would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Matt

what grit paper was used? Ive only had sucess removing up to 2000grit wet sanding marks and that was with a red cutting pad and dacp.

Comment

The cutting pad with #84 followed by #83 or #80 should help, but you may not be able to completely remove them without a rotary. #84 and #85 are designed for use with the rotary to completely breakdown and remove imperfections from the surface, the pc doesn't really rotate fast enough to completely breakdown the compound. Having said that, i have used #84 with my PC and had some success removing deep scratches. Hope this helps. I'm sure Mike or someone at Meg's will step in on this.

Comment

what is the difference beween a rotary and a G100?

I used 2000 grit paper

Comment

Originally posted by Heynen
          what is the difference beween a rotary and a G100?
          A rotary is a device that purely rotates the pad.. This generates a lot of heat when it's in contact with the paint for so long.. It requires lots of experience in order to use it properly.. If there's one word to describe it, I would have to say "DANGER!" Hahaha! Unless you know what you're doing of course.. As for the G-100, it combines the rotational motion along with oscillating motions. If you apply too much pressure to the G-100, it would lessen the roatating movement of the pad and just osciallate, thus making the chanes of buring the paint really low.. It's really safe to use as well! Well, I have no experience with machines but when I first used the G-100, it showed amazing results compared to hand application.. Although there's a learning curve associated with it, like everything.. The more you practice and use it, the better and more knowledgable you get...

Hope this helps..
          Last edited by Marc08EX; Sep 24, 2004, 08:34 PM.
          2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

errr i forgot to add in that i have only sucessfully removed up to 2000grit sand marks with that combo and a PC. With a rotary you can knockout 2000grit marks with a polishing pad and dacp. #2 is rotary only so your prob not breaking the abrasive down with your current combo. Pickup some dacp and a cutting pad and you might be able to remove them if your paint is not that hard.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');