• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vette Competition Silver Rims--How to clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vette Competition Silver Rims--How to clean?

My Corvette came with Competition Silver rims. I was told that they are direct from the factory (by sales rep) but other than that, I have no way of knowing. They don't need a "cleaning" yet, but I need to know if there is a Mequiar's product that can be used for wiping the rims down after I take the car out for a drive. I looked at a few Meguiar's products for wheel cleaning at a local Pep Boys, but most said that the product should not be used on "painted" wheels. I have no idea if my rims are "painted" or not. Anyway, anyone know what can be safely used on these rims for wipe down and shining between serious cleaning jobs? Thanks for you help.
    Steve
    P.S. Are there any Corvette forums on this website and, if so, how do I find them? There is no search feature on the site that I can find.

Re: Vette Competition Silver Rims--How to clean?

Steve.

Standard factory vette wheels are painted. They are clear coated just like the paint on your car. Meguiars quick wheel detailer mist & wipe will do a great job at cleaning the brake dust off of your wheels and make them look great.

FYI, there is a search button on the gold colored bar on this website. There is not a vette site on MOL.
    -Bob
    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

RD...

Thanks so much! I just got the Vette and I'm pretty gun shy right now on all of the cleaning issues! I'll certainly give your suggestion a try. Can't thank you enough.

Steve in HB

Comment

Steve, as far as cleaning your wheels when the car gets dirty enough to need a good wash, using any Meguiar's soap is absolutely safe enough for your wheels. Most of us here use the Gold Class Car Wash. Just make sure you have a clean mitt or sponge, or even a good soft brush to get deeper into the wheels.

If the brake dust is really caked on by chance when the time comes to wash it, Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner if completely safe as well for your wheels. Just simply spray the All Wheel Cleaner on your wheels, let dwell for 30 seconds or so, and then agitate with a soft brush as mentioned above before rinsing it all off. Hope this helps
        '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
        '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

Steve

One other thing that you can use to clean the wheels. The main problem is brake dust. You can use a california mini duster to clean the brake dust off the wheels, which will keep them looking nice. Just remember to ONLY use that duster on the wheels. The mini duster is designed for use on the interior, like the dash to remove dust, but can also be used for cleaning light dusting of brake dust on the wheels.

-Bob
          -Bob
          NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Moved out of Customer Service Hot Line to Detailing 101

(The Customer Service Hot Line forum group is usually for product problems)

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If you're looking to clean your wheels between washes, this works pretty well.

Comment

wow, that was a huge picture!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');