• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have to use the rotary to be a pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have to use the rotary to be a pro?

No... I own a rotary buffer (dewalt), that I have used since I was 14. I have worked in paintshops since I was 12, so I am very comfartable with it. But, that is a whole different ball park than detailing. As a paint detailer, I am not a "pro"

Detailing, or paint requires more thinking and skill than color sanding and polishing at a bodyshop. correction, has a lot of different factors. You use different pads, compounds, polishes, techniques, speeds etc.At a shop, usually it is the same clear (i.e. Dupont, PPG, Glasurit, Sikkens,etc) being used on vehicles. This means you can use the same type of pad/polish on each car for the same results. Try that with different factory clears?

So, I guess what I am saying, is if you can correct the paint on any given car, somehow someway (hopefully the least agressive), you are a professional to me..

Justin--
    All your work I have ever seen looks great. Why use a rotary if you don't need to...Keep up the great work!!!
    Last edited by Zach W.; Dec 22, 2008, 12:26 PM. Reason: Accidentaly posted before I re-read

Comment

Originally posted by Zach W. View Post

At a shop, usually it is the same clear (i.e. Dupont, PPG, Glasurit, Sikkens,etc) being used on vehicles. This means you can use the same type of pad/polish on each car for the same results. Try that with different factory clears?
      Thanks for point out a HUGE factor that's differentiates refinishing work from reconditioning work.

It is the above reason, (different paint systems react differently to polishing), that often times when we're answering questions on this forum that we point this out in the answer. Just because M80 worked great on one car doesn't mean it's going to work great on all cars and in fact it won't work great on all cars.

Our new M105 and M205 so far have worked great on everything I've used them on personally but I still do a Test Spot on every car I work on if I've never worked on it in the past because paint systems are not all the same and some polish better than others.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Zach W. View Post
        No... I own a rotary buffer (dewalt), that I have used since I was 14. I have worked in paintshops since I was 12, so I am very comfartable with it. But, that is a whole different ball park than detailing. As a paint detailer, I am not a "pro"

Detailing, or paint requires more thinking and skill than color sanding and polishing at a bodyshop. correction, has a lot of different factors. You use different pads, compounds, polishes, techniques, speeds etc.At a shop, usually it is the same clear (i.e. Dupont, PPG, Glasurit, Sikkens,etc) being used on vehicles. This means you can use the same type of pad/polish on each car for the same results. Try that with different factory clears?

So, I guess what I am saying, is if you can correct the paint on any given car, somehow someway (hopefully the least agressive), you are a professional to me..

Justin--
        All your work I have ever seen looks great. Why use a rotary if you don't need to...Keep up the great work!!!
        Man, there are so many good points here..........heck this whole thread has good points! Thanks for the compliments. I'm not planning on changing anything I do. The G110/G100 that I use does the job for me and safely. I know what will work and what will work fast....after I've qualified the customer and put a plan together. You have no idea how many times I've polished paint for hours only to have the customer open the door and look inside.
        www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post

Conversely, how many times on this forum alone have we seen someone come along looking for a way to fix the problems caused by the "professional" who rotary buffed their car?

So I don't think you need to be proficient at rotary use to be called "professional" and certainly just because you do use one you are not automatically bestowed the title of "professional".

I look at guys like Mike Phillips, Tim Lingor, Joe Fernandez, Kevin Brown and others as being more than "professionals" - they are artists with a rotary buffer. After all, do we not refer to this as "the art of paint polishing"?

Oh Lord........does that say a lot right there!

I've fixed so many problems caused by improper rotary use with the PC/G110. I know of many other detailers that have as well.

If you look at the experience of the gentlemen you named, I hope many will understand why I still will not use a rotary on many of the vehicles I work on. They have years of real daily rotary experience. I do not. Many that claim to do not. I still practice on test panels that I've had for two years now. One day. But not now.

Well said Mike.
          www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post
            I'm going to say no, and here's why:

We get plenty of calls here in the Meguiar's Customer Care Center from guys all over the country who make a living detailing cars, and surprisingly enough many of them do all their work by hand. Yep, they don't even use a D/A. If they can make a living doing things this way, if their customers are happy with the results, are they not "professionals"?

Conversely, how many times on this forum alone have we seen someone come along looking for a way to fix the problems caused by the "professional" who rotary buffed their car?

So I don't think you need to be proficient at rotary use to be called "professional" and certainly just because you do use one you are not automatically bestowed the title of "professional".

I look at guys like Mike Phillips, Tim Lingor, Joe Fernandez, Kevin Brown and others as being more than "professionals" - they are artists with a rotary buffer. After all, do we not refer to this as "the art of paint polishing"?
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
              Thanks for the compliments.
              No, problem, just giving credit where credit is due.. If my paint looked like yours, I wouldn't change anything either..

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
                You have no idea how many times I've polished paint for hours only to have the customer open the door and look inside.
                Haha! I just thought that was me, they think I just "waxed" it and cleaned the inside...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                  Haha! I just thought that was me, they think I just "waxed" it and cleaned the inside...
                  If you start qualifying a customers needs and wants, you'll find out a lot of things. Most do not think you can remove swirls or oxidation without repainting. Most only want the finish shiny. Come to find out, when I priced a full detail out, the price scared some customers away. So I lowered my price and just did single step all in one (D151) on the finish. The paint was 60-70% better, it shined, and was protected. I now do these "mini" details 4:1 over "full" details.......which is fine with me. I'd rather have 4 satisfied customers advertising for me than a single one.
                  www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

I still can't believe how close the poll is though. Just about right down the middle.

See, this is what you ask and listen!
                    www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

I have been in business for 5 years now and only 10% of my work is done by rotary... I use the pc 7424 and get outstanding results and customer satisfaction everytime. Every job is different and requires a different approach for best results... I do allot of paoint correction work that other guys hacked up using rotarys when not necassary.

Comment

I think it all depends on your definition of "pro". Personally, I would find it almost impossible to do my work without a rotary. It's speed and power is perfect for my type of full-on correction work. That being said, I rarely get the 1-steps and wash and waxes. I guess that's the nature of the game.
                        We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

I just spent a while going back and reading through this poll. It's interesting to see how everyone's opinions vary.

It's still split almost 50/50.
                          www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

i just read the whole thread and i think this is a very good topic. Both sides make good points. I do not know how to use a rotary buffer and from what i can tell it requires some skill to use the tool. Its not something i would feel comfortable doing on anyones vechile in fear of harming their vechile by creating holograms or some other sort of damage. But i voted Yes simply because many of the people who are participating in this thread are great detailers and know what they are doing and have posted the work they have done and the damage they have fixed on cars that are inflicted by body shops or car dealerships.

This is really is a great topic with good points made
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I bet this has changed some what with the addition of Kevin Brown's Method for the DA. I know sales of the random orbital have went up!
                              www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');