• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie ---- some help in getting a decent finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie ---- some help in getting a decent finish

Hi GUYS!

I'v read over some other threads and have been very helpful. But i was hoping to get some definite answers for what I must do.

THIS MIGHT BE A BIT LONG AS I WANT TO GIVE AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE.

I have just finished respraying a signly stage acrylic urethane (RED).
    Now prior to doing so i spoke to a friend who is a spray painter and suggested to put 6 -7 coats on it in order to have sufficient paint in order to wet sand smooth.

Therefore, there is approx 7 - 8 coats of paint that is hitting 2 days old and is a little bumpy with evident orange peel.

I know that i must wet sand.
    I was going to start with 1200 grit --- > move to 1500 grit and perhaps even as far as 2000 grit.

Im not after a show finish its only a 4x4 daily bash around. and i was even considering leaving the paint as is, a dull finish but i think it could be improved.

After wet sanding i belive that the panels should feel smooth as? is this correct. without any orange peel etc...

Now once i wet sand all panels what do i do from there on.

I have an electric buffer with only high / low switch and has a wool pad on it at the moment.

(NEVER BUFFED BEFORE)

WHAT PRODUCTS DO I USE?
    WHAT STAGES?
    and is wetting the surface whilst buffing a good idea to stop burning the edges?

I was hopeing to do this very soon as it will be easier to manage the paint prior to completely curing.

ANY DETAILS WILL BE VERY HELPFUL.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE.

ALSO THE BONNET IS OFF THE CAR SO I AM WILLING TO PRACTICE ON IT AND IF I STUFF IT UP I CAN SAND IT BACK AND RE SPRAY IT AGAIN.

Re: Newbie ---- some help in getting a decent finish

Read through this thread and I think a couple different options are shared for what to use...

Participate in discussion or Start a new Thread for your question regarding the use of Meguiar's UniGrit Finishing Papers or other

Also there should be similar questions with recommendations in this forum you're posting too....

Participate in discussion or Start a new Thread for your question regarding the use of Meguiar's UniGrit Finishing Papers or other

(Would post more but it's Sunday morning and I'm out the door)
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanx Mike,
      I remember seeing that thread but couldn't find it.

I'll go through it now and see if it answers my questions.

Cheers

Comment

Welcome to MOL!
        '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
        '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

Thanx..

Hey mike or any others that wish to reply.

I wont have enough time to wet sand and buff the car at the moment. Will it be ok to leave the fresh paint a while as is prior to doing this.

I'm guessing it will take me about a week to sand it all smooth and as its christmas and new years might leave it a month or so.

WILL IT BE OK TO LEAVE THE CAR AS IS. DO I NEED TO PUT ANYTHING ON IT TO PROTECT IT????

Thanx

Comment

You can leave it alone but under cover like in a garage would be best.

The only downside to waiting to sand and buff is that the more time that goes by the more the paint will dry and fully set-up.

As it dries and sets-up it will reach maximum hardness. As the paint gets harder, the harder it gets to buff out sanding marks.

It's always easy to sand paint, it's the sanding mark removal that gets more difficult.

This is one of the reasons cars are usually sanded and buffed within days at a body shop. The other reason is to get the car done and back into the owners possession to free up space at the shop.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I dont mind the car the way it is at the moment. So i am still debating whether or not i should attempt to wet sand and try buff it.

In one way im worried i wont be able to buff it properly.
              As you said i can wet sand it easily, might take time but i can do it however i'm not too sure on trying to buff all those scratches out.

And once its sanded then there's no turning back.

DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Comment

Removing properly stepped sanding marks (1,500-->2,000--->2,500-->3,000) with M105 by hand is fairly easy to do. If you do some searching I remember some posts with pictures showing how easily they came out by hand.

Side note, you don't have to start as aggressive as the 1,500 grit. If you are not sure of yourself, use a less aggressive paper and just spend a little more time if needed.

Comment

Check this thread out,

Removing #2500 grit wet-sanding marks by hand using M105

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Sanding isn't a problem. Im 100% sure i can wet sand the car smooth.
                    Im worried about the buffying stage

Comment

Originally posted by Sammii_85 View Post
                      Sanding isn't a problem. Im 100% sure i can wet sand the car smooth.
                      Im worried about the buffying stage
                      That's why we do our best to caution people and even recommend against sanding and buffing paint to people that have never sanded and buffed a car before.

See my comments posted previously...

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ok finally took the plunge.

I wet sanded a small area and buffed it using meguiars diamond cut (thats all i could find at the auto store in the meguiars compound range) and it came up awesome. The diamond cut is quick and gives it an awsome shine and not too many swirls.

So i will be wet sanding a buffing the whole car..

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WITH THE INPUT AND A BIG THANX TO MIKE FOR THE POINTERS AND HELP

thanx guys

will let you know how it all comes out... or ask some questions along the way.

BY THE WAY I ALREADY HAVE A QUESTION or two:
                        Once i buff with diamond cut 2.0 (think thats what its called) what is recommended over that for the polishing stage???

and how long before i can seal and wax it???

YOUR HELP HAS BEEN AMAZING
                        and your products are great as aways.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');