• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use the Grit Guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you use the Grit Guard?

I wouldnt think of not using them. I have one in each bucket, yes two bucket method

Comment

I also use the two bucket method and have a grit guard in each bucket and so far they work really well for me.

Comment

Just received two grit guards in the mail from ADS a couple days ago. Have not tried them out yet though. Looking forward to it.

Comment

The way I see it, the grit guard is like the snuggie, which is only a backwards robe!!! If you do the two bucket method, what is the point of having them? You just clean it up in the second bucket and it is all good for the next bucket. They seem to me like a product that is made popular because of the people who use it, not what it does or how it works. I'm sure some people won't like this post, but I have never used the grit guard, so this is an opinion from someone that has no experience with it.
          A Pontiac is a Chevy with better trim.

Comment

Originally posted by paudashlake View Post
            The way I see it, the grit guard is like the snuggie, which is only a backwards robe!!! If you do the two bucket method, what is the point of having them? You just clean it up in the second bucket and it is all good for the next bucket. They seem to me like a product that is made popular because of the people who use it, not what it does or how it works. I'm sure some people won't like this post, but I have never used the grit guard, so this is an opinion from someone that has no experience with it.

you are right, however the grit gaurd helps to keep all the dirt down at the bottom of the bucket and to stay there...some grit can still swish around and all it takes is that one tiny particle of dirt or grit to stick to your wash mitt, and bam, you have nice scratches...although the 2 bucket method is the way to go to prevent swirls as best as possible, the grit gaurd just helps reduce that potential EVEN MORE.

so for those of us that spend hours upon hours compounding, polishing, and waxing our personal cars that we love and cherish, we will go all the way to preserve our wonderful looking finishes..
            Addicted

Comment

Originally posted by speed3blackmica View Post
              you are right, however the grit gaurd helps to keep all the dirt down at the bottom of the bucket and to stay there...some grit can still swish around and all it takes is that one tiny particle of dirt or grit to stick to your wash mitt, and bam, you have nice scratches...although the 2 bucket method is the way to go to prevent swirls as best as possible, the grit gaurd just helps reduce that potential EVEN MORE.

so for those of us that spend hours upon hours compounding, polishing, and waxing our personal cars that we love and cherish, we will go all the way to preserve our wonderful looking finishes..
              I agree, why take a chance it's not like you'll need to take a second mortgage to buy a grit guard lol.

Comment

I don't use gritguard. Can find any local store selling it. In the mean time I spray the washmitt thoroughly before going to the soap bucket. But I'm going to DIY create gritguard.

Comment

speed3, you are right, but as ca just said, I might also make my own grit guard because there is no reason, in my mind at least, to spend money on such a thing.

Comment

It doesn't have to be made by grit gaurd themselves...even though they are only like 8 bucks..my point is "anything" you can do to prevent and reduce the potential of inducing swirls, is worth every penny, even if you make it yourself..the hours you spend polishing and waxing are worth something
                    Addicted

Comment

I totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by paudashlake View Post
                        I totally agree.
                        im glad you do...we may spend hours upon hours compounding, polishing, waxing our own personal vehicles, and then we may end up putting those swirls back into the clear coat just from 1 wash...and that to me, is quite a disappointment...to spend all those hours working the paint to acheive show car results and then to just have it get back to the way it was, is heartbreaking so to speak..the time we spent is certianlly worth something and has some sentimental value to all car guys..so even if you dont want to buy the grit gaurd and make your own..then heck, if it gets the job done then who can complain !? grit gaurd just makes it easier for someone who doesnt have time to make their own design of a grit gaurd for their buckets
                        Addicted

Comment

Hmmm, wish there was some way I could change my vote from no to yes. I didn't use to use Grit Guards (only because I didn't have them), but now I don't do a wash without 'em.
                          Shane
                          1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I'm new to the forum, but thought I would share what I've been using instead of a grit-guard, as I couldn't find one local. I had some lighting egg-crate that I cut to fit the bottom of my wash buckets. Two layers can be used to give you more space to trap stuff. The egg crate has little squares that are 1/2" x 1/2" or so. Can be found easily at the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by tvg View Post
                              I'm new to the forum, but thought I would share what I've been using instead of a grit-guard, as I couldn't find one local. I had some lighting egg-crate that I cut to fit the bottom of my wash buckets. Two layers can be used to give you more space to trap stuff. The egg crate has little squares that are 1/2" x 1/2" or so. Can be found easily at the hardware.
                              I've heard of people using those before.

I might try one myself.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
                              r. b.

Comment

I just receive a couple of grit guards. I haven't had a chance to use them yet as they don't fit into the bottoms of my current 4 gal. pails. I need to get 5 gal. pails.

What I'm using now is a couple 4 gal pails with a bunch of holes drilled into the bottom. I insert one pail with holes inside another pail. It works, but it was a lot of work making them. Not only do you have to drill hundreds of holes, but you then clean any remnant plastic shavings of the side of each hole. If any of those shavings come loose they float to the top of the wash water and will scratch your paint.

I personally think the Grit Guard is a flawless design. So simple yet so effective. It's hardly worth improvising.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');