• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drawings & Giveaways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawings & Giveaways

Each month give away a product to a member of the forum. Would be awesome...
    Matt

Re: Drawings & Giveaways

It was done in the past. However from what I understand, People were signing up with multiple accounts to increase there odds of winning. Therefore the monthly drawings had to be stopped.

It was a G100 back when they were doing the drawing. Pretty sweet prize.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

I have thought the same thing - bring the drawings back! But it above is true I understand someone always ruins it.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

What about if people could win only if they had 50+ or 100+ posts?
        1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
        1994 BMW 325CI
        2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
        SR Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
          It was done in the past. However from what I understand, People were signing up with multiple accounts to increase there odds of winning. Therefore the monthly drawings had to be stopped.
          This was the problem. Just another example of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone.

Originally posted by 94BMW325CIS View Post
          What about if people could win only if they had 50+ or 100+ posts?
          We've discussed this in the past but one of the problems with this idea is it tends to cause some people to post "Me Too" posts, or "Fluff Posts" just to increase their post count.

Prize drawings are good because Meguiar's likes to give back to the hobby and Meguiar's has been supporting the hobby for decades in this way and lots of other ways as well. So it's not that Meguiar's is against this kind of thing it's just figuring out a good way to structure it.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm on a home theater forum that does the minimum post count thing. They say X number of meaningful posts, fluff posts don't count. It would be impossible to really regulate that but maybe it would prevent some people from doing it. Also I would think it would be easy to see the people just trying to up their posts. If you set it at like 100 it would be hard for people to create multiple accounts and get them all above 100 posts without it being obvious.

Edit: Or maybe we set the minimum posts to something like 2,610. lol
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post

I'm on a home theater forum that does the minimum post count thing.

They say X number of meaningful posts, fluff posts don't count. It would be impossible to really regulate that but maybe it would prevent some people from doing it.
              Regulating is the keyword.

Another idea floated was a reward for Best Write-up

Detailing a car is hard work. Stopping throughout the process to capture good photos and then later processing the photos, adding words and create a great write-up, one that

A) Showcase your talent and work
              B) Teaches others how to duplicate your results

That's a lot of work and it's also a very valuable contribution to the forum for the benefit of all.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just some food for thought - another thing I miss are the contests, photo contests, unique, Christmas lights, different holidays and/or whatever... I have an idea on why they might have stopped them but sure was fun!!
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Maybe make it theme orientated. Best interior makeover one month, best detail etc. A different theme every month. Any pics could not be more then a month old to qualify. Just a thought.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Oh, that's a good idea J.A Michaels. Since we are focused on showing our work with our Picture forums/makeovers. Have Mike and some other admin's decide on who's the best. Great Idea.

I don't know how "tech Savvy" our Admin's are on Meg. Online, but you can track people by their IP Addresses. Therefore they are unable to create multiple accounts.

Or maybe the Admin's could just have their own drawing without telling anyone and they could use the current list of members. And then announce the winners afterward.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the responses.
                    Matt

Comment

Mike I have an idea of how to get around the multiple profile issue. Create the prize thread but rather than signing up on the thread, have everyone send a PM to you or like a prize profile in order to sign up. Included in the PM should be your full name and shipping address.

Sure people have a business and home address but not everyone does and they would have to provide a fake name which would just be odd.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewc_11890 View Post
                        Mike I have an idea of how to get around the multiple profile issue. Create the prize thread but rather than signing up on the thread, have everyone send a PM to you or like a prize profile in order to sign up. Included in the PM should be your full name and shipping address.

Sure people have a business and home address but not everyone does and they would have to provide a fake name which would just be odd.
                        That would be an awful lot of private messages to read don't ya think?

Andy M.
                        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
                          I don't know how "tech Savvy" our Admin's are on Meg. Online, but you can track people by their IP Addresses. Therefore they are unable to create multiple accounts.
                          It would not stop people from creating numerous user accounts using the same IP address. But it could tell which winner is cheating by possibly having more than one user account to better their odds.

But, certain internet providers lists all users in geograhic areas as having the same IP (Some Time Warner service areas do this). Banning one IP may mean banning 100's of users....in this case checking the ip of a winner may do no good because someone a block away may have the same IP and many others may have the same IP.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');