• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Salt, hot water and effects on NXT 2.0 wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Salt, hot water and effects on NXT 2.0 wax

Hey guys well winter is upon us and most of us who deal with snow also have to deal with road salt.

Well my car as of yseterday had a good coating of salt around the entire back end and both sides and the front, so I brought a pail of hot water out to my car and used a super soaker to spray it down, seemed to take care of the salt just fine.

My only concern is with the wax though, I had a good 2 or 3 coats of NXT 2.0 on the car (I applied the last coat back in November). Someone else said using hot water to remove the salt like that will also remove all the wax!

I was thinking I was safe cause it was like 20 degree weather (Farenheit), and the salt already covered most of the wax, so the hot water just hits the salt and doesnt really get down to the wax, even if it does the wax should be hardened from being in 20 degree weatherm or is this just wishful thinking on my behalf.

Thanks

Re: Road Salt, hot water and effects on NXT 2.0 wax

Well a synthetic wax will hold up much better against heat, now I don't think hot water alone will remove the wax all together, I suppose you might be removing a tiny, tiny layer with every wash. That said I guess if its between the salt sitting on the vehicle and removing a tiny bit of wax I would wash the salt off.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

You should be okay, as long as your car still feels slick and the water sheets off well you ar probably fine.

Comment

Thanks guys well regardless I'll probably be using slightly less hot or even room temp water from now on. Salt is water soluble and I'm pretty sure hot water will take it off easier though (not sure about this - anyone know for sure if using hot water is better for removing salt vs. room temp. water?)

Comment

After the hot water wash, why not give it a once over with UQD or Quik Wax to refresh the protection? If the paint is still somewhat warm from the hot water this should work just fine.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
            After the hot water wash, why not give it a once over with UQD or Quik Wax to refresh the protection? If the paint is still somewhat warm from the hot water this should work just fine.
            Ditto on the UQD, I haven't waxed my daily driver in months, yet it is still very slick and when it rains, it's beads more than any other car in the parking lot at work. Only thing I've been doing is after I wash, using a the UQD. That stuff stays on well...

Comment

Yeah but then I would have to dry it first and also be wary of the little specks of salt that may not have been taken care of from the water wash, usually I UQD after a full wash (with the GC car wash) and full dry, I would be too paranoid about scratches when I go over with the microfiber.

Anyone know if using room temp as opposed to hot water is less effective on road salt enough to warrant only using hot water?

Comment

I don't have any hard answers to your specific questions, but in the big picture sometimes the most you can do is the most you can do...

In the winters in Oregon I always used hot water in my car wash bucket to wash my cars, especially the Milk Truck because otherwise my hands would freeze.

My first consideration was my hand, and then the wax on the Milk Truck. I knew I could replace the wax on my Milk Truck but couldn't replace my hand.

Washing a milk truck takes a while so warm water in the wash bucket was a real lifesaver...

This is a real A.C. Cobra by the way...

Just do your best to get your car washed, clean and contaminant/salt free and when you can re-apply your favorite wax or paint sealant.

That's the most you can do...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm no chemist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. Or was it a Quality Inn?
                  Anyway, Carnauba wax melts at something like 185°, and IIRC, sealants "melt" at something like 350°. These numbers are from memory, and I'm sure are inaccurate, but the point is NXT is a synthetic and has a way higher melting (sublimation?) point than boiling water. I'm relatively sure you used water at a temperature of less than 212°, so I'm sure the NXT is OK.
                  Heatgain (Gary)
                  The Irate Magistrate
                  Neutral & Detached

Comment

Also remember Meguiar's doesn't make a straight Carnauba wax, any of our waxes that contain Carnauba also are blended with other ingredients, some of them man-made or synthetic.

There's also chemical changes in the properties of a "wax" after it's applied, dried, and removed on the surface of the paint that would be different than the product just in the can or bottle.

(Not trying to take the thread off-topic and any further posts on the subject of Carnauba and heat should be posted in their own thread)

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Where in Boston do you live?

It's supposed to be 50 degrees wednesday and thursday. So i'm gonna let all the ice melt off the car and give a good wash and wax christmas morning before everybody comes over

Comment

Mike do you still have the milk truck? What a neat vehicle. It would make a nice truck for mobile detailing.

Dr. Maurice
                        Chef and Dr. of Min.

God is a good God, He loves you, and He wants to bless you.

Comment

Regretfully no. I sold it about 8 months after moving to SoCal from Oregon and taking this job working for Meguiar's at the Corporate office. It was my daily driver here in SoCal that entire time.

In Oregon it was my detailing truck and also my route truck for Meguiar's Detailer Line. Also used it to haul product to car shows for our booths.

Maybe I'll create a post about it since it was very unusual and unique... that way we can keep this thread on topic.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have a hot / cold faucet on the outside of the house. The hot has a valve on it to not let the temp go over 105 deg f so I dont overtemp my pressure washer. I always wash with the hot water in the winter. I think the salt and slush does more to remove wax than the hot water, IMO. I will wash outside until about 35 deg f then wash in the heated garage. But for my hands the best thing that I found is neoprene ice fishing gloves. They are waterproof and insulated.

Comment

Here in northern wisconsin the salt on the roads is crazy. after one little snow fall every car turns entirely white with salt. in addition sand is mxed with the salt so you can imagine how dirty a car can get. I will fill a bucket halfway with hot water and fill the rest with cold water from the hose making a very warm mix. my car is freshly waxed with nxt 2.0 and i use nxt wash solution. the car washes perfectly everytime with NO salt residue left. after the wash i use NXT spray wax (i am a recent new believer of spray wax!) seems to me the spray wax is the barrier between washes that preserves my coat of nxt wax.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');