• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

window haze - paint overspray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window haze - paint overspray?

Hi there,

A month or so back (or longer?), I posted a question about removing haze from the passenger side windows of my car. I finally have a photo of what the haze looks like (attached).

I have tried Quik Clay, but no luck. My dealership has had a couple of shots at it, but can't seem to remove it either.

The haze is rough to the touch. There was some paint work done to the side of the car where the haze appears, so I think it might be overspray.

Any ideas? Perhaps I should drop into a body shop and ask them for help?

BTW - for those of you who read my first posting, I mentioned that the dealership scratched the heck out of the glass on one of the windows, trying to get the haze removed. They have since agreed to replace the window.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Files

Is the rough surface on the outside or the inside?

In a way, it looks kind of like it was blasted with a sand blaster or some type of media blaster? That would explain the textured feel and the frosty look.

Maybe you could investigate that angle?

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If it is really overspray, then some #0000 steel wool will remove it easily. If it has been blasted, then your going to have to replace the window.
      Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
      08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
      98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
      82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

maybe a glass polisher product?

Comment

Shouldn't be too difficult. I recently had my truck painted and found clear overspray on my windows. Just get a window scraper and some windex. Spray the window/windshield and press the blade scraper(found at almost any autoparts store) and gently scrape away. Be sure to keep the blade flat to avoid the corners grooving the glass.
          George G.
          ----------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for your responses. The roughness is on the outside of the window, and it feels raised -- not like it has been blasted.

The front passenger side window had the same haze, and was cleaned by the dealer. They got the haze off, but as I mentioned, they left a ton of scratches and swirl marks on the glass. That's why I've been hesitant to use an abrasive technique so far on the rear window.

Kevin

Comment

clearcoat????

Comment

Yep, according to the pic and the fact that you had some paint work confirms it's clear coat overspray. The #0000 steel wool will not scratch your glass. Just be sure to remove as much of the wool pad material as possible, being untreated steel, if it's left on the paint surface and gets wet, it will cause a little rust stain...nothing that can't be removed but a little hassle no less. I like the razor blade method, just work it slow and spray windex as you work it and you won't have any problems.
                George G.
                ----------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');