• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, some info on new paint job please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, some info on new paint job please.

Hi, I would like to say hello as this is my first post, my name is Ryan and I am in the uk

Right I would like some info please; I own a BMW e39 sport mtec 2000.

The wings have a few stone chips on them so they are being re-sprayed; I am not a newbie to this but has been a while so some info would be grate.

The wing got sprayed on Wednesday by me in my work shop (24th dec) and now needs to be wet sanded just to remove the orange peel and any little nips in the finish.

How long till I can start the wet sand, it has been in there since the 24th, if I was to start on the 28th this should be ok yes?

All so the paint has to FULLY CURE, which could take a good month or 2.

If so I don’t want to wax it for that time, but if I am using scratch x / 3m liquid compound / and 3m finess on a buffer is it safe to use them after I have done my wet sanding or could I just wipe over the wing with panel wipe after I have finished to leave noting on the paint so it can breath to fully cure etc?

If you could help that would be fantastic.

Ryan.

Re: Hi, some info on new paint job please.

I would suggest waiting a few weeks before you attempt to do anything with fresh paint.

With such a large area you're going to have to wait awhile. Once you heat it up, its going to come right off. Using a buffer or even by hand, you can create enough friction to heat the paint and ruin your fresh coat.

I am not a professional, nowhere close, but from what I've come across - you'll want to let it cure before you begin to buff or sand it.

EDIT:

There is a thread on this here:

OP is asking about sanding after 3 weeks.... might be some useful info for you!

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply, on that link it says that the paint should be wet sanded then polish the scratch marks out with in days or it will become a lot harder to remove any defect on 2k clear?

Any info to this.

Ryan.

Comment

Hi ryan,
        I have just sprayed a whole car at home.
        its been 4 days and i wet sanded and buffed a whole section today with no problems.
        The experts here recommended i wet sand and buff within 72 hours as its alot harder to buff fully cured paint.

you can even do so the very next day.

check this info out

Comment

this is the link

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This is what i thought, well i will look to have a go tomorrow ( sunday ) , and will let you know how it goes

Ryan.

Comment

When it comes to wet-sanding and buffing paint, generally speaking sooner is better.

It's easy to sand paint anytime as that's putting scratches into the paint. (pretty easy to do especially with sandpaper)

It's removing the sanding marks that gets harder as the paint gets harder.

Of course you'll reach the point of it just doesn't matter anymore once the paint reaches full hardness.

Whenever I have a car to buff out, I always do a Test Spot first just like if I were detailing a car. That is I would sand a small section about a foot squared or so and then see what it takes to remove my sanding marks.

I've met a man that had to repaint a Ferrari because the clear became so hard nothing 3M or Meguiar's had would remove the sanding marks, in fact I think I found a picture of this car recently while going through 35m photos from my early detailing days.

So do a test spot first and dial in a process that works in one small area to your satisfaction and then do the entire car.

This means find a combination of pads and compounds that will remove the sanding marks to your satisfaction. Polishing is pretty easy after your remove the sanding marks, its the sanding mark removal step that can either be a cake walk or a nightmare.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Brill job, thanks for the info Mike, i will let you know how it goes late tomorrow

Ryan.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');