• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time G110 User - 3 Products - Did Not Remove Defects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time G110 User - 3 Products - Did Not Remove Defects

Well, today I was able to take my brand new G110, to my 2008 Mercedes C-Class, for the first time.

The paint is gorgeous on it, except if you have it out in directly sunlight, and can back up, and get your head just right, to have the sun going directly into the paint. At that time you see some slight scratches and maybe even a couple swirls. This is a dark silver paint, called Palladium. The problem area is primarily the hood, had these since the day I bought it home, or most of them, a year ago.

All polishing steps below on speed setting 5...

I thought a G110 would help me take care of this. I used 3 of the 2.0 Polishing Pads. First I tried M205. I have watched Mike's DVD, and went super slow, applying just the right amount of pressure, making multiple passes, different directions etc. etc. M205 made the paint look and feel great, but the issues were still there in the sun.

Next I used another 2.0 Polishing pad with #83. Again, the product and G110 worked great, but the issues were still then ,when put back out in the sun.

Finally, used 2.0 Polishing with M105! Yes, I know you're not suppose to, but with no results above, I decided to try this on 1/8 of the hood. Again, product worked fine, no problem, maybe cleared the finish the slightest bit, but I think that was wishful thinking, the defects still there, again these defects 99 percent of people would never see, have to be under the sun at right angle.

I can't understand why I can't get them out.

I went ahead and used M205 on most of the car, for the fun of it. Before any of this I clayed as well too.

Then I used a 2.0 finishing pad with #26 high tech yellow wax on entire car, and then I took it off with a bonnet on a cutting pad.

I will say what the g110 did with the wax, both putting it on, and taking it off was amazing. The car looks gorgeous, and to the back of your hand, feels oh so slick. Love it. Certainly better than by hand, and 26 seems like my new favorite wax.

Just bummed I couldn't get the defects out. I guess it's a good thing I didn't go through with adding the 2009 SLK I was going to pick up in Black because I would never be able to get out the swirls on it, since I can't on this dark silver car's paint.

Could the paint just be too hard? I'm going to try the new M105 (approved for DA) as well as the consumer products like Ultimate Compound, when they come out.

I really think I did everything right. I did it oh so carefully, and I'm an astute student. I love using the thing and trying to imitate Mike from the DVD as closely as possible.

Re: First time G110 User - 3 Products - Did Not Remove Defects

Sounds like you need a little more power behind M105 for the hard paint you have. Are you skilled with the rotary?
    '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
    '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

Look up the colour code somewhere (under the hood) if there is a C in it it means it ceramic paint (here in Europe) which is extremely hard. If you use to aggresive pads and/or polishes you can create scratches that are extremely hard to remove.

Menzerna has polishes voor ceramic paint such as Final Finish 106FA but it have to be used on a rotary on a finishing pad.

Comment

Yes, it is a ceramic paint.

I guess I will have to just enjoy it looking as good as possible then instead of perfect.

Comment

Could the marring be under the clear coat?
          It doesn't seem likely that would be the case on a new car, but the hood might have had some work done on it after the vehicle was built.
          Charles
          The Rainmaker

Comment

Possible but not likely. Ceramic paint is a pain in the ***.

Comment

Okay, are you trying to remove swirls or really fine micromarring?

Here are some things to help remove the swirls:
              -Prime the pad with the actual product. Take some of the product (M205, M105, etc) and work it into the surface of the pad. Then, you can apply a circle of product and start polishing.
              -Switch to the W7207 cutting pad.

*Even though the pad priming is not recommended, I have noticed more consistent and better results when the pad is primed the product you are going to use.

Micromarring can be a pain. Try some M205 and a finishing pad (W9207 or W9006) and some light pressure. If that does not work, try some M205 and a polishing pad (W8207 or W8006) and then switch to a tan pad depending on the finish.
              Chris
              Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Your post reads like you did everything right, so it could be paint related and the paint and/or defects are out of the ability of the G110 to remove.

Hard to say without being there and seeing the paint and working on it in person.

My limited experience with ceramic pants goes against what everyone is always posting about them, (that they are extremely hard), all the ceramic paints I have buffed on the defects came out easily with M83.

One thing you might try if you didn't do this already, try again and shrink the size of your work area down to about a 16" square area. Work this section as well as you can, maybe even run a tape line on one side so you can more easily tell any difference/progress you're making.

Most paints can be improved with a DA Polisher, I have personally worked on some Corvettes and Viper's where a rotary was necessary so there are paint systems that are hard enough or at least not very polishable on the market.

Where are you located? Maybe we have a seasoned detailer in your area that could meet up with you and take a look at it with you and try a few things?

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Like others have said, the new Mercedes have ceramic clear coats and are very hard. The chance of removing swirls with a polishing pad and a DA are very minimal.

I would go ahead with what Chris said and use a cutting pad first then back down to a polishing pad.

Ryan
                  Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Thanks Mike, Ryan - and everyone else.

One day I'm going to work on my mid-90s Nissan, to see if the same products, with me behind the polisher, does take out the defects.

Ryan - I guess I might try the cutting pad someday. I have to admit to being scared of it. With the paint so hard, if I did do something, I might never be able to correct it.

Mike - I think I will go ahead for now, try to shrink the area like you suggested. I tried to do that when I used M105, but I will try to shrink it further and maybe put the tape. Plus, it did almost look like to me M105 might have made the tiniest progress imaginable, but at least maybe it did make some progress. I really don't know. Taping off the area would help me see if it really did.

Thanks everyone. I'll post back if I ever succeed, or ruin the finish (just kidding hopefully). ha-ha.

Comment

It's not always a good idea to a heavier polish or pad, sometimes you need to go lighter because the combo that you are using are taking the swirls out but on the same time it's putting them back in.

Be carefull with cutting pads on ceramic paint as it can install swirls and micromarring that is very hard to remove. I would suggest a finishing pad and M205/Menzerna Final Finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibbuz View Post
                        It's not always a good idea to a heavier polish or pad, sometimes you need to go lighter because the combo that you are using are taking the swirls out but on the same time it's putting them back in.
                        I'll keep this in mind, but at the same time I see some identical markings/defects, so I doubt it is putting them back in identical as the originals.

This will help me in things to consider though. I will try 205 with a softer pad.

Comment

Just throwing this out there, but have you tried doing a small section with a foam pad (like a wax applicator) and M105 by hand? Put some passion behind it and rub the area with some oomph.

Then check it and see if that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                            Just throwing this out there, but have you tried doing a small section with a foam pad (like a wax applicator) and M105 by hand? Put some passion behind it and rub the area with some oomph.

Then check it and see if that works.
                            That's actually a great way to troubleshoot as your hand can exert quite a bit of pressure.

Also, try everything you've done to a different car, with a factory clear coat and see if you see any progress on a different paint system, try to find something that's incredibly swirled out and dark in color.

Also, if you haven't already, make a couple of black lines on your backing plate so you can easily monitor if the pad is rotating.

Keep us updated...

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I know it's not "recommended", but I had AMAZING results using the G110, LC 3.5" PFW, and M105. If you go this route make sure you have LOTS of pads. I went through 4 pads on just the hood alone. It was the old M105 so it isn't DA Approved, it gummed up pretty easy even with constant on-the-fly cleaning. Unfortunately using the G110 took me 4 hours to complete just the hood and another 4 for the front fenders and the bumper. So, I think I will do the rest of the car with a rotary and finish up with the G110 and some M205. I will be ordering some of the new M105 and testing it with the DA and PFW again on a panel to see how much easier it is to use with the G110.

I had really bad water stains and etching over the entire hood, due to a car port "malfunction". After two applications on speed 5-6 and moderate pressure, then one pass with light pressure I got out almost every defect. In fact, the results were so good I was tempted to call it LSP ready! But being the AR person I am I followed up with some M205 on a finishing pad and the results far exceeded my expectations using the G110. I do have minor scratches and hatch marks here and there that aren't visible unless looked at in direct sunlight at an extreme angle and up close, but I wasn't going for 100% mirror like finish. This is my daily driver that sometimes sees some off-road abuse, so my requirements for that "show car finish" were not required, nor realistic as I knew even if I got that "perfect" finish it would be destroyed in a matter of a few weeks given the conditions I drive in and the paints susceptibility to scratching and swirling. My paint is soft, so soft that I can swirl it with my finger tip and little pressure.

I took some pictures and will be doing a full write up soon.

I have to say again that the G110 with PFW and M105 far exceeded my expectations! Good luck finding a combo that works, hopefully you get it figured out soon.
                              2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
                              2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000
                              2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark

############################
                              R-KIVE Studios :: Bringing Visions to Life

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');