• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Quik Detailer or Quik Detailer?(Clay lube)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Quik Detailer or Quik Detailer?(Clay lube)

I first started using Quik Detailer #QUIK16 with the clay bar kit it came with but now that bottle is gone but I still have a brand new clay bar and wanted to know if I could use Ultimate Quik Detailer #G14422 with the clay bar or do I need to stick with the Quik Detailer?

Re: Quik Wax or Quik Detailer?

You can use Ultimate Quik Detailer.
    Welcome to Meguiars Online!
    But according to the title, you should not use Quik Wax.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Actually, Meguiar's doesn't recommend using Ultimate Quik Detailer as a clay lube. The obvious reason is that it's more expensive, might as well save UQD for creating a show car finish and purchase and use the less expensive and recommended mist & wipe product, Quik Detailer.

I know this question has come up a number of times, maybe one of our super sleuths can track it down?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I could not find the one I was looking for. But here is one.
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

Also, in addition to Quik Detailer, some folks on this forum use M34 and Last Touch as a lubricants.

Here are some more threads on the topic. Don't know if any are the ones Mike may have been referring to:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ight=clay+lube

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ater+lubricant

2013 Highlander - black
          2010 TL - black

Comment

Re: Ultimate Quik Detailer or Quik Detailer?(Clay lube)

Ultimate Quick Detailer is amazing. I think it's better than the regular.

Both will work great...
            Matt

Comment

I like using the regular qd or Last touch diluted 1:1. The last touch is great and at this dilution very economical.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Again, Meguiar's doesn't recommend UQD as a lubricant for claying.

FWIW - I've used QD which worked quite well. However, I just bought some Last Touch that I want to try. Many on this forum swear by it at a 1:1 dilution as a clay lubricant and full strength as "in-between" detailer.

It just doesn't make sense to use UQD at $.42/oz vs QD at about $.34/oz, Last Touch at $.25/oz ($.15/oz at 1:1) or M34, $.37/oz.
                2013 Highlander - black
                2010 TL - black

Comment

Originally posted by gjohn28 View Post
                  Again, Meguiar's doesn't recommend UQD as a lubricant for claying.

It just doesn't make sense to use UQD at $.42/oz vs QD at about $.34/oz, Last Touch at $.25/oz ($.15/oz at 1:1) or M34, $.37/oz.
                  Thanks for making the point so well.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

So just to clarify, UQD is not recommended solely due to price, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by cleeny View Post
                      So just to clarify, UQD is not recommended solely due to price, correct?
                      Correct. But it's due to UQD being to slick and the polymers within the product not allowing the clay to remove surface contaminants.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                        Correct. But it's due to UQD being to slick and the polymers within the product not allowing the clay to remove surface contaminants.
                        Right--I bought a bottle of QD for just claying, and UQD for wiping down in between waxes (and to get that pesky pine pollen off--it's amazing).

Also, it seems like (to me anyway) the UQD gives darker paints more depth.
                        2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Originally posted by billddrummer View Post
                          Right--I bought a bottle of QD for just claying, and UQD for wiping down in between waxes (and to get that pesky pine pollen off--it's amazing).

Also, it seems like (to me anyway) the UQD gives darker paints more depth.
                          Another thing: UQD is great at removing water spots from the apartment sprinklers, even after a day or two.

About as close to magic as I've seen live.
                          2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Just to chime in on this 8 yr-old thread, I use Gold Class QD as a clay lube and prefer it to the red bottle basic QD. GCQD is more slippery and thicker, and it also smells better. The cost difference is minimal, and since I've had the same bottle for at least 2 years, $3 or so hardly matters. I haven't used UQD to clay, so I don't know how it would compare to claying with GCQD, but generally speaking, anything slick should work very well, from QDs to QWs and even UWWA. Anything oily/slippery will get the job done, even household products safe on paint, but not plain water, because the clay just spreads the water then sticks and grabs.

QDs, QWs and UWWA can be used to spot-sand without making a mess, too. I'll also use GCQD with an MF wipe to clear a panel of dust and such before correcting, whether claying or not.

Due to humidity, I cannot use QDs as an actual detailer on paint/glass, because they smear and hologram badly. Instead, UWWA is great as a detailer, with no smearing.
                            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                              That makes a lot of sense Guz. I hope the body shop lets me do some correction work before summer's end. I fear the weather will be unsettled earlier than last year, and the winter more severe as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');