• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#80 or M205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #80 or M205

My lady just bought me a DA for X-Mas along with the Mike Phillips "How to use a DA" DVD. I watched the whole thing and was more than impressed with the results of that vette. I want to pretty much follow that same precedure on my vehicle but my paint is not nearly as defective (not that it horrible) as the vette. With that said, I'm wondering should I use #80 or the new M205. If you guys may have any other suggestions let me know. I was also thinking about using #7 after applying NXT 2.0 but I'm not sure if it soots my paint. My truck is Red fire Metallic and my girlfriend's car is Red.

Here's a pic of my truck

Re: #80 or M205

Definitely give the M205 a shot first as it's more geared to clear coats and will finish out much nicer. Use the same techniques shown in the DVD and use a polishing pad like our W-8006 or W8207 on the 5.0 Speed Setting and work small sections at a time, about 18" to 20" squarish or so, you don't want to tackle too large of an area or you won't get the swirl removal, (paint removal), you need to create a swirl and scratch-free finish.

Have fun!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey Mason, are you from F150online? The truck looks familiar...

Welcome to MOL!

Mark

Comment

Welcome to mol. Nice looking truck.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

to MOL!

#7 is a pure polish and works well on any color, but it provides no protection. It would better to apply it after you've cleaned the paint and before you apply your NXT. If you apply it after, you'll remove some of the NXT.

Have fun.
          2013 Highlander - black
          2010 TL - black

Comment

I'm in a very similar situation: my new MX-5's paint is almost swirl-free and I don't think I should polish it yet but I was wondering which order to use the polish and wax. It seems that #7 first, followed by NXT is the way to go. It's going to be difficult for me to break the paste wax habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
              Hey Mason, are you from F150online? The truck looks familiar...

Welcome to MOL!

Mark
              And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaan, lol. I recognized your sig on here from the F-150 forum
              Originally posted by gjohn28 View Post
              to MOL!

#7 is a pure polish and works well on any color, but it provides no protection. It would better to apply it after you've cleaned the paint and before you apply your NXT. If you apply it after, you'll remove some of the NXT.

Have fun.

This is new to me. When I watched the how to use a pc dvd, Mike applied it after NXT 2.0. I'm not questioning your comment at all, I'm just explaining what I saw. Will someone else care to explain. Thanks to all for replying.

Comment

Originally posted by pmason718 View Post

This is new to me. When I watched the how to use a pc dvd, Mike applied it after NXT 2.0. I'm not questioning your comment at all, I'm just explaining what I saw. Will someone else care to explain. Thanks to all for replying.
                From my limited experiences with it, its an old regime in which #7 Show car glaze enriches the color and gives it a deeper glossier reflection. Its perfectly fine putting it after the NXT. I believe even some of the guys here puts a glaze on top of a wax/sealant or glaze only (w/o wax and/or sealant) before a show for cosmetic purposes.

Worry not, bet others will chime in to explain more

Tim
                Learning new things everyday

Comment

on the video mike does use the spray wax after he applies the #7

Comment

I have the same DVD. Basically Mike was just demonstrating the proper technique used for applying and removing #7. It was not actually part of the process for restoring the paint on the car.

Mike gives a better explanation in the post below.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...40&postcount=6
                    Brian

Comment

Welcome to MOL!
                      '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
                      '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

This is new to me. When I watched the how to use a pc dvd, Mike applied it after NXT 2.0.
                        It was bonus footage, Here's the direct link to the thread shared by Mister B that explains it pretty well...

Same type of question came up recently here,

Our good intentions were to share more and more information/techniques because we had sunlight, more film and a desire to share more information and because the paint had just been cleaned and polished it was in excellent condition thus it was the right condition to use a pure polish on, (not including the fact we had waxed it), and also use a spray-on wax.

It was just bonus footage, not part of the restoration process for the Corvette's paint. After applying and removing the NXT Tech Wax to the paint on the Corvette the process was over. Everything after that was just extra tips and techniques as an added bonus to the DVD.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

ok, Thanks. I will give the M205 a try over the #80.

Comment

Just to be clear, I did not mean to imply that there is never any reason why you would want to apply a polish on top of a wax/sealant. Obviously, there are situations where it may be appropriate, such as those TimG pointed out. I was just trying to emphasize the "typical" sequence as recommended in the 5 Step Paint Care Cycle.

I tend to view things through a perspective of maintaining two daily drivers where I want to optimize gloss/shine and protection. Since polishes generally don't provide any protection, they wear off fairly quickly on a daily driver if not covered by a sealant. After having put in the time to lay down a layer or two of an LSP, I don't want to remove, albeit minimally, any of the protection I just put on by rubbing a polish over top.

It's simply a matter of what you goal is (and perhaps being a little AR like I am about protecting my black paint...).

2013 Highlander - black
                            2010 TL - black

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');