• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen

Sure, you can go straight to wax after claying, if you prefer. Many in fact do.

The benefit of the cleaner wax is that is helps to remove stains and below-surface contamination that claybar cannot remove, and it provides an initial layer of protection. You can then top it with your favorite wax/sealant, thus securing the two layers of wax protection that Meguiar's recommends.

There is absolutely no need to wipe the car down with Prepsol after applying a cleaner wax. That defeats the whole purpose and simply adds an additional and unnecessary step in the process.

Compare Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle. They recommend the use of a paint cleaner after claying. After this two coats of one's preferred wax/sealant is to the applied. In my simplified process, I remove the dedicated paint cleaner and and substitute instead an AIO product (some kind of cleaner wax). After the AIO you might choose to stop and congratulate yourself on a find job done, or you might want to add one more protectant coating of the wax of your choice.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Oh I see about the straight to wax after claying, what I asked was whether I can use the cleaning abilities of prepsol instead of a cleaner wax.

Comment

Originally posted by RtN View Post
        Oh I see about the straight to wax after claying, what I asked was whether I can use the cleaning abilities of prepsol instead of a cleaner wax.
        I know that some detailers use products like Prep-Sol and Prep-All after a polishing session to remove completely all traces of remaining polishing oils. They do this because polishing oils can "fill" and thus hide defects, and they want to ensure they are getting the maximum paint correction. I do not believe, though, that Prep-Sol functions well as a substitute for what Meguiar's calls a "paint cleaner." But you had better ask Michael Stoops about this.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

I'm delighted to see that this article that I wrote a year and a half ago has had over 20,000 views. Huzzah!
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by PSX5GIRL View Post
            But it gets dusty the very next day, and I was told NEVER to use a CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER
            is this true?
            It sounds like your environment is likely a little too dirty for a California Duster, especially for a black vehicle. You might be better off with a microfiber and quik detailer (many to choose from) for lubrication.

Calaifornia Dusters are just fine, but they are only for dust. Think... car show using it 5-6 times a day. This is safe.
            you pretty much have to use a California Duster 1-2 times a day for it to be "safe".

I'd love to see the old shuffleboard slab in use. seriously :-)
            I deal with the same thing. I have a dirt/gravel drive that I continually add gravel to each year a few pick-up load at a time. I often park on 2"x6" pieces of wood to get the tires out of the dirt to wash and dress them. I actually let them hang about an inch over the edge of the wood.

Hey sometime you got to do what works.

come on... let's see that shuffle board in action

Bill

Comment

ill try and keep it brief, i have checed forums without success...
              so here goes, i have a vw bora need to keep it clean and want a stunning finish.
              i need to buy new meguairs products
              i have clay and quick detailer, but am waiting on 7 show car polish, 26 or 16 wax, scratch x to remove swirls plast x for dull headlights. this will all be done by hand as i have no machinebuffer. question is, i dont seem to know best way to start? should i use deatailer and clay before scratch x or after and then show car no.7 then 26 and then 16? some assistance in the best order to use these products would help. i need to clean car remove the scratches and then polish up to a deep glossy shine. help greatly recieved the order and what to use.

Comment

Fingermouse, have you read this article yet: Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

Your process should look like this:

1) Wash the car thoroughly.

2) Clay the car using ample detailing spray as lubricant.

3) Polish the paint with ScratchX and a foam applicator. On this step, be sure to do a TEST SPOT first! You want to make sure first that the polish you have chosen is going to accomplish what you are hoping it will accomplish. A test spot also allows one to refine one's application techniques. If you like the results of the test spot, then you can go ahead and polish the rest of the car. If you don't like the results, then come back to the forum and tell us about it.

Warning: hand polishing is hard, time-consuming work. Don't be surprised if it takes you a full day or two. You may even want to spread the work over a period of days or even weeks, doikng a panel at a time. Pace yourself and be patient.

4) Polish the headlights with PlastX.

5) Apply #7 to the paint with foam applicator. Apply it to small sections at a time and remove immediately with a clean microfiber towel.

6) Wax the car.

7) Step back and admire your car.

Good luck!
                --Al Kimel

Comment

The whole two bucket method. Wouldn't it be easier to just spray the MIT off after each section?

Comment

Originally posted by caseypayne69 View Post
                    The whole two bucket method. Wouldn't it be easier to just spray the MIT off after each section?
                    Not really, no. It wouldn't be as effective either unless you really sprayed it good and then your really increasing the time.
                    "The Dude Abides"

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                      Fingermouse, have you read this article yet: Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

Your process should look like this:

1) Wash the car thoroughly.

2) Clay the car using ample detailing spray as lubricant.

3) Polish the paint with ScratchX and a foam applicator. On this step, be sure to do a TEST SPOT first! You want to make sure first that the polish you have chosen is going to accomplish what you are hoping it will accomplish. A test spot also allows one to refine one's application techniques. If you like the results of the test spot, then you can go ahead and polish the rest of the car. If you don't like the results, then come back to the forum and tell us about it.

Warning: hand polishing is hard, time-consuming work. Don't be surprised if it takes you a full day or two. You may even want to spread the work over a period of days or even weeks, doikng a panel at a time. Pace yourself and be patient.

4) Polish the headlights with PlastX.

5) Apply #7 to the paint with foam applicator. Apply it to small sections at a time and remove immediately with a clean microfiber towel.

6) Wax the car.

7) Step back and admire your car.

Good luck!
                      Is it necessary to do the entire 5 step process for a new Black car? Can I skip the polishing step? And how often should I wash the car with the car shampoo? Everyday?

Comment

Huzzah! 30,000 views!
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                          Huzzah! 30,000 views!
                          Nice.
                          "The Dude Abides"

Comment

hello every one on car wash I've tried ult. car was work good i do a panel at a time the way i do it is pore some ult.car wash in a spray bottle 1/4 of cup then fill with water spray give it about 7scds wipe with micro towel then use a clean micro towel to clean off rest . works good the poly mare in soap help left drit.

Comment

Couple questions regardin the 5-steps.

1) On new paint is the cleaner wax necessary between clay and sealant? Or just another wash?

2) Would Ultimate W&W detergent be appropriate for pre-wax washing or does it have too many additives?

Going to be going with either NXT2.0 or UW on my new car this summer and want to start the paint off right while dealing with a busy work schedule!
                              2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Buck91 View Post
                                Couple questions regardin the 5-steps.

1) On new paint is the cleaner wax necessary between clay and sealant? Or just another wash?

2) Would Ultimate W&W detergent be appropriate for pre-wax washing or does it have too many additives?

Going to be going with either NXT2.0 or UW on my new car this summer and want to start the paint off right while dealing with a busy work schedule!
                                1) A wash isnt needed after claying. Remember the clay removes bonded on dirt, while the cleaner removes dirt from the pores/imperfections of the paint, plus swirls, etc if strong enough, applied properly. So if the car needs clayed because it has dirt and grime on the surface, it probably has dirt and grim in the pores as well.

But that is where Al's post comes in, because if you just need a mild cleaner, a cleaner/wax fits the bill well, and gets your first coat of wax in. So not spending loads of time on something.

2) UW&W would be fine to use. But of course if you are going to clay, clean afterwards, it is a bit of a waste as you will just remove the wax the wash put on. I keep some UW&W around for when a quick wash is wanted, and regular soap like Gold Class for when I will be doing more after the wash.
                                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');