• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hopeless Case Hood (Restoration Success)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hopeless Case Hood (Restoration Success)

Here's a link to my PhotoBucket slide show for the steps used to restore the hopeless case hood.

PS - I'm still learning about PhotoBucket so I appreciate any comments to help me improve the slide show.

Product comments are listed below.

First, I was truly shocked at how the hood turned out. I had no idea it would shine like it did when I started. I had already planned to spend $400 to have the hood repainted. If I destroyed the finish in the restoration process, it already a lost cause before I started. I was completely surprised at how Meguiar's products help me restore the finish to an acceptable level.

For the cutting and polishing steps, I used a mix of three products.

1) Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Detailer to wet the surface before applying the other products. I sprayed it all over the hood before applying the other products to lubricate the pad in all areas. The buffer runs at 1800 RPM. It is from the Ingersol Rand professional products line when it was purchased. I also used Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer to lubricate the wet sanding process. I do not recommend this type of buffer for home use. I used an 1800-RPM buffer like it in the days when I worked on a detailing assembly line and was buffing about 8 cars a day. It was the standard issue professional compounding buffer at most used car lots 30 years ago.

A WORD OF CAUTION: While I was wildly successful with the Ultimate Quick Detailer wet sanding process, be extremely careful and mindful about the amount of pressure and number of rotations you make to each area. Frequently check your work by clearing the area to verify only the surface scratches and cracks are being removed. If you go too deep, or apply too much pressure, you'll grind through the clear coat and leave uneven spots. Do not get in a hurry or attempt to do this on a hot day when the wet sanding moisture will try too quickly. .

2) Meguiar's ColorX. Using a liquid color restoration product to mix with a cutting product was the way we did it 30 years ago. It seemed to work fine with the buffer and you can see how nicely it brought back a slick wet look. .

3) Meguiars #2 Professional Fine-Cut Cleaner. I thought I would give this product a try. I found it a NAPA. I used a real marketing based method to select the product. I bought it because the person in the picture on the front label was running a high-speed buffer from NAPA that is similar to the one I use. I am very pleased with this product.

For the final phase, I used Meguiar’s Tech Wax Paste with the Ultimate Quick Detailer as the final step.
    fficeffice" />

Re: The Hopeless Case Hood (Restoration Success)

nice job and about the photobucket just copy that little thing that say
    [IMG]http............

and then when you enter it the photos will appear afterwords

Comment

Glad to see this process worked for you,

Normally you could use a little car wash soap in a bucket of water to soak your papers in and then get a spray bottle of water and add a few drops of car wash to provide you with a clean water source to spray onto the surface as you're sanding.

M02 is a lot less aggressive than a lot of our other products for removing sanding marks but hey, if it worked and you're happy with the results then that's all that matters.

For anyone reading this, be sure to practice on something that's not important to you before tackling a car that is important to you. Also test out your products of choice to a small area and make sure you can successfully remove your sanding marks before tackling an entire panel let alone an entire car.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

OwnerCS

Great job on that restoration! First question is how did the hood get so damaged? Second, snd of more interest to me is do you happen to know what your paint thickness was before and after the restoration?

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');