• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring Headlamp Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Restoring Headlamp Lens

Just to note, there's a number of really great threads in this forum

Clear Plastic Detailing

that go over this process, here's one but you can click the link above and scroll through the pages and find more to read.

How To: PlastX Headlight Restoration (Step by w/ Pics)

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. That is a great thread. I think I will use that as my model for the '98 Benz.

srb1194

Comment

I forgot to note this in my disclaimer....

Damaged headlights can be deceptive. There is no way to clean a sealed unit headlight if it is dirty or damaged on the inside of the enclosure. Make sure that the damage you are seeing is on the outside of the lens.

Cracked lenses can also be deceiving. If the crack is severe, you can sand all the way through the plastic before you reach the end of the crack. Make sure the cracks you are attempting to repair are actually just superficial.

I will continue to ammend the list if I remember other things I forgot to note.

Comment

My main problem is the yellow oxidation. I have buffed them several times with the PlastiX product. I just can't seem to get all of the oxidation off. I really think the wet sanding will do the trick for me. Thanks for the advice though.

srb1194

Comment

Originally posted by srb1194 View Post
            My main problem is the yellow oxidation. I have buffed them several times with the PlastiX product. I just can't seem to get all of the oxidation off. I really think the wet sanding will do the trick for me. Thanks for the advice though.

srb1194
            The wet-sanding should, without a doubt, take care of your issue. It's not as hard as it may sound, just make sure to be patient and don't cut any corners. Tape off well, sand thoroughly, particularly with the fine grit papers. The idea of stepping down your papers as you finish is to diminish the scratches you created with the larger grit papers. If you take your time with the finer grit papers, when you finally get to buffing out your headlight, you won't believe your eyes. Your headlights will look as good as they did the day your drove your beauty off the lot.

Another piece of advice. If you don't have a detailers stool, something impossible to find in Santiago, Chile, get yourself a 5 gallon bucket or two. ( I use two, one for sitting and one for keeping my papers wet.) This way you can sit at eye level with your lenses, enabling you to see your progress without tiring as easily. Plus they make a handy storage bin for your detailing accessories after your done.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have the stool and as soon as the weather warms up a bit I'm going at it. You guys are full of great ideas!

srb1194

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                Just to note, there's a number of really great threads in this forum

Clear Plastic Detailing

that go over this process, here's one but you can click the link above and scroll through the pages and find more to read.

How To: PlastX Headlight Restoration (Step by w/ Pics)

Mike,

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation of this process. I just finished the lens on my 98 E 320 and they look great. I used 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit paper. I also used a Ryobi orbital buffer to apply the Plastx. Overall if anyone is considering doing this job....just do it. The results are very gratifying.

Thanks again,

srb1194

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');