• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G110 Failing to Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G110 Failing to Work

Since today is Sunday and customer service is closed, I figured I should post it here. I was using my G110 today and to me something seemed different from normal after using for about 7 minutes. I know that normally it sounds slower if more pressure is applied because it actually moves slower. The strange thing was that I wasn't applying more pressure, it just started to sound slower. After a few more minutes I realized that it was slowing down considerably. It would slow then speed back up and then slow and speed back up. Eventually it slowed to non functioning. It is less than a year old, so it should be covered under the warranty. If I am supposed to ship it to Meguiars in Irvine, is there a possibility that I can drop it off there since I live local?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Re: G110 Failing to Work

As you know, it's the weekend so hang tight.

I would call customer service and see if you can do that (drop it off). Meguiar's may ship the G110 from elsewhere though, not sure.

Here's their number: 1-800-347-5700.

Customer care will take good care of you.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Ya I already called, but they are closed so I will call when they are open tomorrow.

Comment

Ok so I am almost done doing the car with some m83 on the other G110 I have. I hear the same thing... this one died even quicker once the symptoms of slowing appeared. It only took about a minute until it wouldn't turn on. I purchased both at the same time and they have been used both about the same amount. Over the summer my friend and I would detail together using them so they have each seen about the same amount of wear and tear. I wonder if they were part of a bad batch where some part inside just decided to fail. At first I thought it was a dead socket in the house but I went somewhere else where the the electricity was for sure working and it wouldn't turn on. I guess it is better that I can return 2 at once rather than 1 now and find out about the other later.

Now it is time for some sore arms because I have to finish the car by hand.

Comment

That is a shame. Both machines dying on you the same day. Once you get a hold of Customer service they will take care of you pronto.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Just a quick follow up but Meguiars Customer Service Was Excellent.

I called them today around noon and told them my issue. I had a Meguiars Rep stop by my house tonight with 2 brand new G110's and take my old ones, no questions asked. A+ For Meguiars

Comment

Good show

It's a pain in the tush, but with their great Customer Service, it makes it a whole lot better.

Glad it worked out!
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

That's great. Same day service. You can't beat Meguiars customer service.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

i had 2 g110's go bad on me too! but meguiar's cs (brian) got me a replacement pretty quick. no complaints here. i do wonder after the 1 year warranty is up, we're do we go to take in the g110's for repair? hopefully i won't need any repairs...

Comment

Originally posted by gsxr310 View Post
                    ....no complaints here. i do wonder after the 1 year warranty is up... hopefully i won't need any repairs...
                    Same here. Time will tell. "Hopefully" things will work out and Meguiar's will be confident enough to offer the life time warranty again, like the G100.
                    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by andrewc_11890 View Post
                      Just a quick follow up but Meguiars Customer Service Was Excellent.

I called them today around noon and told them my issue. I had a Meguiars Rep stop by my house tonight with 2 brand new G110's and take my old ones, no questions asked. A+ For Meguiars
                      That's just plain awesome!
                      Sam

Comment

My 3 month old G100 died after about 3 months of use. The problem was the same slowing as described above and then it would turn on and off - like it was a motor brush not making contact with the commutator.

Called customer service and they advised there are no serviceable parts to the G110. It's a throwaway piece even though there is a parts list in the owner's manual.

Meguiar's was nice enough to ship the buffer to CT for me at no charge - two weeks later, I had a brand new one. Now, I'm worried at this point, that we aren't dealing with a real tool and machine company, so anytime something happens to one, you are out a $130 plus dollars.

It has now been a week since the new one was shipped and now the new one won't turn on unless I spin the pad. Called my contact at Meguiars - working Saturday and he advised that it has to be sent back to CT and I'm out of business for another two weeks.

I'm sure the G110 is okay for a casual user, but after dying at 40 cars, and now 3 cars with this one, I think that no matter how good customer service is, I need to buy a name brand DA unit and keep the 3rd G110 as a back up.

My buddies warned me not to just have one after the first one failed. I should have listened. If there is a good news end to this on Monday, I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Yegster View Post
                          My 3 month old G100 died after about 3 months of use. The problem was the same slowing as described above and then it would turn on and off - like it was a motor brush not making contact with the commutator.

Called customer service and they advised there are no serviceable parts to the G110. It's a throwaway piece even though there is a parts list in the owner's manual.

Meguiar's was nice enough to ship the buffer to CT for me at no charge - two weeks later, I had a brand new one. Now, I'm worried at this point, that we aren't dealing with a real tool and machine company, so anytime something happens to one, you are out a $130 plus dollars.

It has now been a week since the new one was shipped and now the new one won't turn on unless I spin the pad. Called my contact at Meguiars - working Saturday and he advised that it has to be sent back to CT and I'm out of business for another two weeks.

I'm sure the G110 is okay for a casual user, but after dying at 40 cars, and now 3 cars with this one, I think that no matter how good customer service is, I need to buy a name brand DA unit and keep the 3rd G110 as a back up.

My buddies warned me not to just have one after the first one failed. I should have listened. If there is a good news end to this on Monday, I'll report back.
                          This thread is about six months old.
                          Nick
                          Tucker's Detailing Services
                          815-954-0773
                          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Beginner2002 View Post
                            "Hopefully" things will work out and Meguiar's will be confident enough to offer the life time warranty again, like the G100.
                            That won't happen. Most power tools these days have a 1 year warranty (some will offer more). With a lifetime warranty, that's means people in bodyshops (or anywhere else where there is heavy use) can drop/neglect (or use the heck out of them) them and then just get a new one whenever they wanted. It would go far beyond it's mileage if you know what I mean..

Comment

Originally posted by Yegster View Post

If you have expertise working with small electric motors, this link may help if your replacement G110 fails: G110 Failure carbon buildup on brushes. But please do not open the housing on the failed unit that you plan to return, it will void the warranty

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');